TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

Jeff, awesome post,...

Thanks.

but no one will pay attention to it since you used actual facts and logic, ...

I know. I'm sorry. I was bored in between doing loads of laundry. I thought I'd look into this a little more deeply, and do something constructive. I fail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started to ask some questions along with the poster you were quoting at 'that board', however my childish behavior got me into some crud with the side Admin.. Whatever- I'm over it, and have already gone around the restrictions set there- I've just got to be good from now on!

I could not agree with your post more. I think some of the folks have given this new group too much credit- and haven't asked enough questions. I was excited when reading about the new Group at first. Then the MOMENT I saw the site my dreams were shattered. I thought, "What the HELL kind of professional group would create something like this? How on earth could they be pitching the City when they're still marketing concepts...OVER AN INTERNET FORUM??!!

I wish for something wonderful to return- just as much as the next guy, but I refuse to believe that a Group who wishes to resurrect a Park that's been sitting vacant for over 3 years- would market ideas in the way they are, or would create a site in the fashion they did. I don't think I'd see the CEO browsing and talking amongst the Online Community openly, nor would he/she be making Radio appearances- where the heck is the Marketing Guy when you need him???!!! I will drop my jaw and eat my shoe if this Group pans up something great, and if they do- I sure hope within their creativity- they build a new Website- that doesn't hurt my eyes.

Thanks for posting your gathered facts and opinions, as they only help me feel more confident with my doubt. A very well written post.

I think some of the folks have given this new group too much credit- and haven't asked enough questions.

That is true. Apparently 49 people believe in this as that many people have registered on the site. That's about 40 more people than I would have expected on the site.

• 1 month later...

I know SSAI isn't getting the friendliest response from TPR, but I thought I should bring this up anyway.

Apparently there's a lot of movement going on inside of SFNO. It seems like there are crews in the park grounds that are working on weed/overgrowth control. I don't know how valid this is, if at all, but it's about time that there was movement seen inside of the park since FEMA left.

Take it for what you will.

Southern Star Amusement Inc plans for SFNO:

http://www.southernstaramusement.com/index.html

Southern Star Amusement is in talks to resurrect the former Jazzland/ Six Flags New Orleans venue. We are securing private investment money, costing the taxpayers of New Orleans nothing.

Business transactions of this scope take time and coordination to close the deal. During the talks, both sides exchange sensitive information and are required to execute Non‐Disclosure statements. Six Flags and Southern Star have entered into mutual Non‐Disclosure agreements. These documents prohibit either side from discussing or disclosing any information.

Our intention is a simple one; rebuild and reopen. Reopening of this facility will bring over 1,400 jobs to the area, tax revenues from sales and an option for family entertainment. The rebuilding would also

provide indirect jobs through the support areas that will be needed for reconstruction.

Opening a facility of this size also encourages other businesses to reopen in the area. In the coming months, we will provide peeks at attractions and the rebuilding and refurbishment of the

grounds. We are excited that we have the opportunity to bring back YOUR park and to make it bigger and better

Concept_Map.thumb.jpg.aaff1a5030f3199b98aa6c9d004080e8.jpg

After

masterplan.jpg.1699f44d4ca2388dfbae37ca895a4ff0.jpg

Before

No, there's no Arizona connection. This park will be the first of it's kind: an amusement/waterpark hybrid. The slides are mixed in with the rides, as opposed to having the amusements and water attractions in completely seperate areas.

Oh, and there's MegaZeph. Can't beat that.

What has changed, besides being incorperated, since all this started?

Do they own anything yet? Are they still hiding behind the non-disclosure agreement? Nothing seems changed on the website except the graphics looks.

Again, I am going back to my original problems with this proposal.

A. Jazzland didn't make it, SFNO didn't have a chance to make it. The population of New Orleans (the last I heard) is no where near what it was, so how is less of a population going to support a bigger park.

B. They are using the same site, with the same problems as before, if another hurricane comes through, it will be flooded again.

I don't believe anything coming from this group/corperation until I see photos of construction, news articles, and press releases stating it is official.

I'm sort of amazed just how much this thing has progressed! It certainly seems like Southern Star Amusements is pretty confident all this will work out (as others have said though I'd prefer if we'd get a more official announcement). Still though its sort of exciting to see. I thought it would end up being like Geauga Lake and Astroworld and close down forever.

^ What doesn't seem right? I don't understand.

Southern Star Amusement is no longer a group. It's incorporated.

-Tatum

THERE'S NOTHING OFFICIAL. No press releases, no construction, no change... They don't even have the money to do this. So far, anybody with a computer could do what they've done so far.

I want this to happen as much as anybody else - but I have little faith in this group... inc. or not.

^ How do you know they don't have money? If this was a joke, it'd be over by now.

SFNO didn't have a chance to make it.

It's not Six Flag's fault the park closed. The park still had a chance to remain open before the storm.

They are using the same site, with the same problems as before, if another hurricane comes through, it will be flooded again.

They are planning on building levees to protect the park.

-Tatum

I really have maybe 1% faith in this program actually happening anytime soon. I think New Orleans has many more issues instead of a theme park they should focus on still (sorry to say it, but really). People are still missing houses and many living parts are not completely cleaned out and re-done. Spending 100+ million on cleaning up SFNO and making a new park will not sit well with the general public. It's just too much money to spend on something in that area at this time. They could put that money to good use and rebuild houses instead of building a park.

Does anyone have any current photos of the park?

You think Darien Lake looks creepy, i bet this is 10 times worse.

Tat, I wouldn't take Danny's thinking about building a floodwall around the area as proof that it will actually happen. It's being looked into, but it's going to cost $1 million for one mile of wall. That's a lot of money. I don't think we'll be installing pumps, either. When they drained the park they broke holes in the smaller levee walls surrounding SFNO. I'm sure smaller portable pumps can be purchased, by I don't see us getting a storm soon. I'm not the weather man, but I don't see anything coming in for a while.

As for "nothing" happening, there have been crews inside of the park doing work. Mainly, they're cutting down all of the weeds/overgrowth that have accumulated since August of 2005, but there's probably more to it than that. One of SFI's loans is about to become due, which will probably speed up this process so they (SF) can stop paying for a dead property. Councilman Arnie Fielkow also has a crew of people out inspecting the site, and a report from them is apparently due in 4 months.

No, anybody with a computer CAN NOT accomplish what Danny Rogers/SSAI has. Nobody, and I mean nobody can claim they are actively talking with SFI and New Orleans officials about rebuilding an amusement park for over -what has it been?- almost 10 months and counting? Nobody can start a website, go corporate with it, release concept art, get MAJOR RIDE MANUFACTURING COMPANIES aware/involved with the project, and participate in radio/newspaper reviews WITHOUT getting busted by somebody. It's purely impossible. You go start a site claiming you're rebuilding Geauga Lake and spill off the same type of routine Danny's going through, and I'll believe you when you say that. Do not say it's a scam because there isn't enough official information. I've been shown enough to know this is legit, and I'm a supporter until the bitter end of this park, whenever it happens. SFI has Danny and his crew under a very, VERY strick Non-Disclosure Agreement. A lot of money, if not this whole ownership exchange, will be dropped if the silence is broken.

As for the whole money-spending issue, NOLA isn't paying a dime for this. Taxpayers aren't shelling out a single cent for this project. The money for Legend City is coming from private investors, and Danny. The city/gp has nothing to lose with this deal, because they aren't paying for it. The only thing the citizens will have to pay is the admissions ticket and what ever food/coffee/souvenirs they want. That's all.

Gtrains - though I am a sentimental fanboy - are what ruined Zephy. Sure, the lats are painful and the double-up on the last leg of ride was brutal before the track reprofiling in 2004, but the trains are what, ultimately, did her in. MegaZeph will get new trains in 2009, but I don't know what make/what source they're coming from. They won't be new, but they'll most definitely go through a rehab process like just about everything else in the park. I hope we get PTCs. Eh, wishful thinking.

I don't see us getting a storm soon. I'm not the weather man, but I don't see anything coming in for a while.

You're joking, right?

If this group is legit, I'm all for it. However, I think they're using this "non-disclosure" agreement to hide behind. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not... it doesn't really matter right now. But if I had to bet, I'd bet on this not happening.

You're joking, right?

Well, no. We haven't had a single tropical "disturbance" since August 29. 2005. No tropical storms, no hurricanes, nada. This summer has been completely dead, and I'm fearing for all of the new out-of-towners who have come in to work as contractors/whatever. They don't know the routine like the locals do, and when something DOES come, they're in for an experience. I'm not saying New Orleans is now 100% hurricane-proof because we got boned by the worst of the worst, I'm saying that I see a trend of NOTHING COMING. I don't think the 16-year-old from Tennessee should tell me about my climate.

Yeah, people can do just about everything these days. You can get a website, get incorporated, even turn your pets green, whatever your little heart desires. But nobody can pull a practical joke on the scale as big as this without getting caught - especially after 10 months. I'm not going to sit here and bicker about what's really happening, and I'm not going to type my fingers off praising SSA. You can either believe it or not, but I'll see you at the front gate on opening day, which is apparently around the May 26th area of next year.

And I really hate to say it, but this country is flat out brainless when they refer to Hurricane Katrina. No, we're not suffering. We're not swimming to work anymore. We're fine, and way more than half of our original population is back - we're at what.. 700,000 people the last time I checked? - We've pretty much rebuilt the place to a condition better than it was before 2005, excluding some buildings here and there, the 9th ward, and SFNO (obviously). Our Road Home checks are finally coming in, and we are well aware of the fact that people from Iowa pretend to be NOLA locals so they can steal money from us at our expense. Our government has re-defined "corrupt", as well as foolish. Our mayor spends his time not taking care of a city, but rather comparing his little town to candies he'll find at the gas station while fueling up his car with the City's credit card. Not his money, mind you - the taxpayer's money. We're well aware of everything, so the rest of USA can quit pretending they know/care about us. Because not even six months after the storm, you all just woke up and assumed it was "business as usual". Wrong.

I'm ending my rant here. Robb, Elissa, and everyone else - I apologize profusely for making this so long and off-topic from the original discussion. I'm done ranting, and I'll keep my opinions to myself unless it's about the Vekoma trains or something interesting. I'll stay away from this topic for a long time. Peace out kids.

You're joking, right?

Well, no. We haven't had a single tropical "disturbance" since August 29. 2005. No tropical storms, no hurricanes, nada. This summer has been completely dead, and I'm fearing for all of the new out-of-towners who have come in to work as contractors/whatever. They don't know the routine like the locals do, and when something DOES come, they're in for an experience. I'm not saying New Orleans is now 100% hurricane-proof because we got boned by the worst of the worst, I'm saying that I see a trend of NOTHING COMING. I don't think the 16-year-old from Tennessee should tell me about my climate.

I don't think a 16 year-old from Louisiana should be predicting natural disasters, or a lack thereof, in his own climate, either. I really doubt Mother Nature cares that you think hurricanes will stay away since you guys got slammed by a category 3 hurricane. South Florida got hit by a hurricane in August of 2004 and then got hit by FOUR MORE hurricanes in the next 14 months. I doubt anybody saw THAT coming. You may "see a trend of nothing happening" but your foresight really doesn't mean jack.