TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Moreys Piers Discussion Thread

I remember laughing during most of the ride because it was so rough. Restraints have nothing to do with how rough the ride is, but hopefully they will make it so that the headbanging doesn't hurt as much.

Yes, but, the more free you feel, the less jerky it feels. Thats why B&M's are so smooth... freedom. I was on Vampire (Walibi Belgium) and I found a way to keep the ride smooth. If you press your head against onside of the harnest, then it will be very smooth. These seats look like they do it for you.

These new seats are not only more atractive, but since it makes you feel more free, it won't cuase much headbanging...

But your right, it won't help THAT much!

I've been on The Great Nor Easter many times over the last few years and it's definately the best out of about a dozen SLCs I've ridden. The views the coaster offers and the way the ride is wrapped around so many exisiting structures is amazing. Hopefully many other parks will get these types of restraints for their SLCs because they can actually be really fun rides if they're not beating the hell out of you.

Yes, but, the more free you feel, the less jerky it feels. Thats why B&M's are so smooth... freedom. I was on Vampire (Walibi Belgium) and I found a way to keep the ride smooth. If you press your head against onside of the harnest, then it will be very smooth. These seats look like they do it for you.

These new seats are not only more atractive, but since it makes you feel more free, it won't cuase much headbanging...

But your right, it won't help THAT much!

Actually, Vampire is one of nicer SLCs out there, and while it is bumpy, your skull is not violently crushed into the restraint during the rollover, like it is in T2 at Kentucky Kingdom, or El Condor.

• 5 months later...

I received this communication from Angel Daniels at Morey's Piers today!

Morey’s Piers “First Flight” Launches for Make a Wish Foundation

Wildwood, April 25,2008 - Morey’s Piers is partnering with the Make a Wish Foundation to launch the “First Flight” of “FLY The Great Nor’Easter”! On Saturday May 17th at noon. The public is invited to experience the new “Freedom Flight” seats and at the same time grant wishes to Cape May County children afflicted with life threatening medical conditions.

This year Morey’s Piers has increased the thrill-factor on one of its most popular rides. Located on Surfside Pier at 25th Avenue, the legendary Great Nor’Easter is the suspended looping coaster that opened in 1995. The coaster has received a major transformation, and the “First Flight” event is set to benefit Make a Wish in Cape May County.

The public is invited to participate and receive their “First Flight wings” by going to http://store.moreyspiers.com/Make-A-Wish.aspx and donating to Make A Wish. Each $10 donation entitles the donor to one free ride on the Great Nor’Easter during the 2008 season. Donors will be automatically entered for a chance to ride one of only 20 seats on the “First Flight” benefiting Make-A-Wish in Cape May County. (The public may enter as many times as they like, every $10 donation is one entry).

Two donors will be randomly awarded one seat each to Fly on the First Flight along with our V.I.F. (Very Important Flyer) Justin, a 14-year-old Make a Wish Child who says he is super excited about riding – “roller coasters are my favorite.”

Manufactured by Vekoma Rides of the Netherlands, the new Freedom Flight seats feature an ergonomically designed seat making the ride experience more enjoyable by holding the rider firmly, while also providing unhindered vision in all directions as well as complete arm freedom. The design utilizes a lap bar and innovative vest, to comfortably restrain Guests during the ride.

About Morey’s Piers:

Morey’s Piers, located on the boardwalk in Wildwood, New Jersey is a classic seaside amusement park, family owned and operated since 1969. Voted one of the best seaside amusement parks in the world in 2007, Morey’s Piers attractions span six beach blocks and include three amusement piers and two beachfront waterparks. Convenient to the major population centers of the Northeast but a world apart, Morey’s Piers along with Morey Hospitality combines the pure joy of an amusement park, the sights and sounds of a classic boardwalk, outstanding accommodations, together with the rhythm of beach life. Visit us at Surfside Pier, featuring Ocean Oasis Waterpark and Beach Club at 25th Avenue, Mariner’s Landing Pier, featuring Raging Waters Waterpark at Schellenger Avenue, and Adventure Pier at Spencer Avenue. Admission to the Piers is free. For more information, visit www.moreyspiers.com or phone (609) 522-3900.

About Make A Wish:

The Make-A-Wish Foundation of New Jersey is a non-profit 501©(3) organization governed by a diverse and respected volunteer Board of Directors. We are chartered under the auspices of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of America, Phoenix, Arizona. The New Jersey Chapter, founded in 1983, serves the entire state of New Jersey.

No child should ever have to endure the struggle and pain that come with battling a life-threatening illness. Giving back to these children, what their illness has taken away – laughter, strength, hope and joy, is the sole purpose at the Make-A-Wish Foundation of New Jersey. Mission Statement: The Make-A-Wish Foundation grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy.

It would be awesome if all of the SLC's were retrofitted with the new trains. Sure, it would cost a lot, but at probably about $200,000 per train, it would cost about $15.5 million for giving new trains for every SLC out there (39 - I'm counting all models of the SLC). Sure, $15.5 million is a lot for new trains, but turning 39 bad rides to good rides for the price of 2 SLC's and a flat ride is a good bargain, IMO, and that is spread out across 39 parks. And some of those rides are smooth already, so some of them will be great rides. Heck, maybe with a smoother ride, maybe all of them will be great, because SLC's do have good and intense layouts, those trains are just badly designed, and now they modified them to be better.

I'm hoping that it is a smoother ride with the new trains. I haven't been on it it in years due to the fact that my head would get thrown around so much and I felt like my ears were going to fall off. I'll be down there that weekend so I'll give it spin to see how the new seats are.

• 1 month later...

So, the official flyer for Morey's Piers Coastin' by the Ocean event was released today! All I have to say is, this is going to be one amazing event at a ridiculously low price! Since I can't post the flyer here and we don't have it up on a site yet, here is the text:

TWO-DAY WEEKEND INCLUDES

Exclusive Ride Time on 15 awesome rides!

Discounts on Extreme Rides!

A $10 food voucher for Jumbo’s Restaurant!

Luau at Ocean Oasis Waterpark and Beach Club!

Registration includes a Splash-n-Ride wristband for BOTH Saturday & Sunday!

Exclusive gifts and surprises!

"On The Drawing Board" with Will & Jack

Coaster Shop Tour and NDT Demonstration!

All for the ridiculously low price of $39! (retail value of over $150!)

Upgrade your event ticket to include an all day Splash-n-Ride on Friday as well for only

$20 more! (regularly $55!)

Morey’s Piers Season Pass holders: You get all of the stuff above for ONLY $15!

(Except, of course, the Splash-n-Ride, because you already have that)

Online registration only at http://store.moreyspiers.com/coaster.

For more information call: 609.522.3900

All registrants (including Season Pass Holders) must be card-carrying members of amusement park

related clubs. If you do not belong to a club, then you must register as a guest of a club member at

the same time he or she registers. On-site registration on the day of the event is $59 per person.

Rooms fill up quickly, so don't wait!

Make your hotel reservations now at www.MoreyHospitality.com or call 800-2-HAV-FUN!

Here is the amazing itinerary:

SATURDAY, JULY 12, 2008

• Check in: 9:00 AM – 12:00 noon, Surfside Pier (26th street and the Boardwalk) front of pier

1. After 12:00 Noon – Guests can go to Guest Services to Guest Services on Mariner’s landing Pier

2. Guests will receive everything they need for their Coastin’ weekend

3. Don’t forget, your passes include all day admission to both waterparks, both days!

• ERT – Great Nor’Easter, Flitzer, Dante’s Dungeon, AtmosFear, DooWopper, Condor, Cygnus X-1: 9:30 AM – Noon (Zoom Phloom 11:00 AM - Noon),

• Coaster Shop Tour and NDT Demonstration

And - “On The Drawing Board” with Will and Jack Morey

2:00 PM – 3:00 PM – Former HUNT’S Pier

• Luau at Oasis café: 7:30 pm – 9:30 pm

1. Check-in at Island Services

2. Dinner provided – cash bar

• ERT – Great White…in the dark 12:30 AM – 1:30 AM (Adventure Pier, Spencer Ave and the Boardwalk)

SUNDAY, JULY 13, 2008

• ERT – Mariner’s Landing Pier - 10:00 AM – Noon

Sea Serpent, Super Scooters, Rollies Coaster, Music Express, Dino’s Surprise!

• ERT – Adventure Pier - Noon – 2:00 PM

Great White, Go karts, Screamin’ Swing, Dino’s Surprise: (Adventure Pier open to the public at 2:00 PM)

^ My father works for Tropicana and we get the same deal every year.

I went to this event last year and it was an absoulte blast. You can't beat the price, considering it's over $40 for a 1 day wrist badn with a 3 hour water park session. I will do whatever I can to get there atleast one day of the event this year.

• 2 weeks later...

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6207773

At 1:30 AM a fire breaks out and burns the Super Skooter, Mini Skooter, and Seal Flume kiddie ride are lost. 3 weeks ago another fire was reported and police are checking to see if this has any relation to it. 97% of the Mariner's Landing Pier has been unaffected.

It's a good thing that it wasn't worse.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/morey_s_piers.htm

Current rough GCI plans for the 2010 wooden coaster project at Morey’s Piers. As you can see the left side of the plans shows off where the station, lift hill, first drop and final brake run will be placed, but the rest of the ride (other than the long dark tunnel) will take place at the right side location.

db_2010_Moreys_GCI_2pierplan_roughCU2_6002.jpg.6f3ba5af7f659d60135692885ce20e2c.jpg

db_2010_Moreys_GCI_2pierplan_roughCU1_6002.jpg.54e92746547ba5cd64a2c8df67e83b3f.jpg

db_2010_Moreys_GCI_2pierplan_rough_6002.jpg.0d9378d71ac983769c8d997ad8b08368.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Back in early 2009, rumors came up about a new walkthrough on the Mariner's Landing Pier of Morey's Piers. The rumored name on Screamscape was Ghost Ship Island. In December a teaser site: http://5292010.com/blog/ was discovered, counting down to Memorial Day weekend, 5/29/10. There are some pictures as well as some blog entries.

Today, 1/24/10, Morey's Posted this on their Facebook page:

We are building a new ride for this summer 2010 located on Mariners Landing. You can see the name of the ride on our website on the link below:

http://www.moreyspiers.com/index.php

The link takes you to Morey's official website and shows a short picture of the 'name', Ignis Fatuus.

As of now, no one else knows any more information, but when anything else is released, I'll update everyone.

Ignis.png.44d4d40c1b95048e4a9c1e2f4760dda8.png

Here's the logo