Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

P. 422: Stinger being removed
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby NewsPlusNotes » Sun May 04, 2008 9:44 am

I'd have to go back through different forums to read the story again ... but it was along the lines of Geauga Lake was doing their normal morning testing and the ops kept hearing a weird noise.

They did more tests and on one launch the LIMs were misaligned and the ride sorta crashed ... not like horrible but it did major damage to the lims and the first part of the train.

Because of this the ride never reopened at Geauga, and that part of the train is now totally new at Dorney.

Mike

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sun May 04, 2008 10:01 am

haux wrote:
NewsPlusNotes wrote:The first part of the train is new because of damage caused when the ride had a whoopsies at Geauga Lake and never opened again.
This is new to me. What happened? Was the launch somehow too powerful, and it slammed into the stopper? That doesn't even seem possible.

As NewsPlusNotes said, a magnet fin on the train was slightly bent, enough to not go through the slot properly and hit the LIMs attached to the track at high speeds.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:32 am

Is it just me, or does the station kinda look like TTD at CP with all the flags?

Postby NewsPlusNotes » Sun May 04, 2008 3:23 pm

^ Yes the flags are very similar to Dragsters... CF Corp P&D must have done the 'new' part of Voodoo's station hence the similarities. All of the rest of the station is the same from Geauga, far as I can tell.

Mike
suestation.jpg
The ride's station from Geauga, grabbed from YouTube videos.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby yankees15 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:12 pm

dwerling wrote:I believe Wicked Twister stops in that general area when it has a mislaunch

Alright thanks for informing me on that. It was just odd looking to me that the train would be stopped there in that position all day.

Postby NewsPlusNotes » Sun May 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Voodoo actually opened yesterday! I happened to be there and took some pics.

I'd never been on the ride at Geauga Lake, so it was new to me. I really enjoyed it... the launch is pretty good and I actually loved the holding brake.

It was operating again today but Dorney had a park buyout for Girl Scouts. Hopefully now that we know it's operating more people can ride next weekend.

Mike
tprvoodoooopen1.jpg
The launch.
tprvoodooopen3.jpg
Wish the sky was a nicer shade of blue...
trpvoodooopen2.jpg
Holding brake in action.
trpvoodooopen4.jpg
It's a fun ride to watch at the park.
trpvoodooopen5.jpg
Important park people and happy riders.

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Mon May 19, 2008 5:56 am

^ About how long was the wait on Saturday?

Postby NewsPlusNotes » Mon May 19, 2008 6:02 am

It was under 30 mins for the afternoon, from what I've heard. (I had to leave shortly after my ride)

Mike

Scharwzkopf Shuttle Loop Fanatic

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Postby pgathriller » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:22 pm

I was browsing the usedrides.com website, and came across an ad for Laser at Dorney Park. This is the description it gave-

Description: 1979 Schwarzkopf LOOPING COASTER.THIS COASTER WAS BUILT TO BE PORTABLE. IT WILL LOAD ON 26 TRAILERS.This ride is 93 feet tall, 2,200 feet long, and has two vertical loops. This coaster first operated in 1979 as Cobra at Parque de la Ciudad (translates to "City Park") in Buenos Aires, Argentina. It was moved and opened at Dorney Park in 1986 as Colossus. It was renamed Laser a few years later. ASKING PRICE IS $1,200,000.00

It also includes actual pictures of Laser. Is Laser really up for sale or is this a false ad? It is for sale under Tommy, the head of ride sales for Usedrides.com so it must be real. I haven't heard anything about Laser being sold until I came across this ad.

I would give a direct link but it doesn't allow me. You can go to usedrides.com and its ad reference number is 34676. Or you can go from the home page, click on "search ads" under the for sale banner. Then click on "All Ads" and it will be listed on page 3.

Why is it up for sale?
Last edited by larrygator on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:54 pm.
Yes, I Am Looking Forward To Rattlesnake
Thunderhead Owns
Wisdom Rides Are Maintanence Nightmares
I Hate Coaster Fans That Complain About Everything

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Astat » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:24 pm

There have been rumors of Laser being on the chopping block for a number of years now, so I wouldn't really be surprised if it's true. I just hope it finds a nice new home if it's sold.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!