TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Fahrenheit Opening Day

Very nice TR. It was almost like I was there. Oh wait, I was, at least for the first part of it. (So how was the shopping anyway?-- Thank heavens for PA and its no sales tax on clothing, eh?) It was nice meeting you and your mom on Saturday.

Folks, not only does Nat write well, she's witty in person too. Although I kept ending up on separate trains from the rest of our small group. Those teenage girls absolutely refused to go ahead of me in line on Wildcat. What was up with that?

Even though your dream spoiled our chance for ERT, it was nice meeting everyone and chatting with Jason, Martin, and Gary. Of course, it wasn't till later in the day I thought I could have asked whether HP would ever build, or consider building a hyper.

Thank you! It was great to finally meet you and everyone too. But dang, why didn't I think to ask about the hyper either? If HP built one of those, I'd move there in a heartbeat and never look back.

As for the shopping, it was fine and all, but it was largely a case of "look but do not touch" for me, since my funds are low and I'm trying to save money right now. But that no sales tax thing? Oh, so jealous.

^ Hah! I'm the jealous one here seeing your great pics and the ones Nate and Bill posted. Mine are still in the camera-- along with a bunch from hockey games and Christmas. (you think that's bad? I still have an inoperable 35mm with a half used film in it from 19-something or other) I hope they look good on something other than the viewfinder. I suppose I could say, "excuse the blurriness but I was going through withdrawal that day."

Maverick, to me, is fun, but a bit jarring. Not in terms of roughness exactly, but it changes directions and elements so suddenly that I dare say that the level of head banging is ALMOST as bad as your average Vekoma.

Sounds about right to me, except omit the part about it being "fun"...

I totally agree about Maverick. I think it's just a good coaster, and not a great coaster. I think this Farenheit ride looks awesome though. I can't believe the major price difference between these two coasters. One is 12 million (Farenheit), and Maverick is 21 million. Wow.

Nice TR I was supposed to be there, actually up until friday night I stile thought I was going. The plan was originally to make it a few day trip but then Monday my brother had back surgery. So then just me and my dad where going to go for the day but Friday when I got home from work my parents told me I could not go cause they needed my help.

Glad to hear it was a great ride maybe I can make it up to HP next year.

Stile kind of annoyed about not being able to go affter looking fowards to it since September

Ps. some of those photos where really nice.

That list you posted about the whole advertising campaign is great! I'm so proud of myself, finding out that Marty's email was registered by hershey was one of the things in red! /tooting his own horn.

Great report, pictures, captions.. all that good stuff.

Went there yesterday. The ride overall was very smooth. And the lines moved consistently. We waited at least 45 mins for our first ride. The single riders line moved fast too. At one point they took a train off,and we actually saw it happen,since the station doubles as the train storage area.

I think it did this just to spite me. Doesn't it look like it's mocking me in this picture? Think about it, if the elements of this coaster were somehow represented by the fingers on a hand, the train would probably be resting right on the middle finger.

Got a kick out of that.

Great pictures and even better captions! Wish I would've been more involved in the whole process, I could've been there...

Did anyone think to ask about that nice thermometer-gradient drop tower? That and a hyper...yum.

Well, I made my way to Hersheypark today, comp tickets left over from Saturdays "Nantimi 11" contest in hand. (Thanks JB) Upon entering the park, my friend and I made a straight shot to the steepest drop in the U.S. I made a bet with myself that a Wednesday in late May while most schools are still in session would be a safe bet to avoid crowds.......boy, did I have a winning hand!

After crossing the entrance to the que, it only took 25 minuets for us to board a train. Hersheypark claims that the restraint system is identical to the one on Storm Runner. I have to disagree. I am one of those guys of a "larger size----Height and/or weight". I found the trains on Fahrenheit to be more accommodating than the ones on it's bigger sibling. The belt straps are slightly longer, the seat is a little larger, there is more leg room. I'm 6' 4 and 1/4" tall and weight 310. I will tell you I had no problem fitting in the restraint. The shoulder harness part of the system is also softer and more pliable than SR. They almost mold to your body. so if you're a larger guy like me---go for it!

Upon being strapped in by the attendant (very nice guys and gals operating today), the all clear was given and the train departed from the station. They were dispatching trains every 2 - 3 minutes, so the line went rather quickly. After lining up with the lift, the dogs on the chains butted themselves against the rear of the vehicle, then proceeded to push us up the verticle hill. Cresting the apex, you are hit with 97 degrees of out of your seat goodness. The Norwegian Loop is a fantastic inversion. Plenty of G's at the bottom, probably the most intense part of the ride. The cobra was very smooth, the double corkscrew was more enjoyable than I though it would be. After the overbank, you are met with a great airtime hill, followed by another overbank. End of story.

My final thoughts:

Fahrenheit is a fantastic coaster. Although shorter than most, it packs alot of ride into a small footprint. Storm runner (The launch is stunning, as is the rest of the layout) was my favorite steel coaster up to this day, but I now have to officially give the title to FH. In terms of comfort, smoothness, excitement, and just plain good old fashioned G's, Fahrenheit delivers. It was a smart investment by HP, and will certainly draw many to the park.

FH was the only coaster with a line today. We walked right on Storm Runner, Comet, Looper and Xtreme Cup challenge with no wait.

I have some pics of the station in action, but I've lost my USB connector. I'll get those up as soon as I can.

Ohhh ok! I didn't realize the station acted as a storage area too. I was wondering what was with the extra track in the station but didn't want to look dumb and ask!

Glad you got to ride it! I'm thinking next week I'll head up and get my first Fahrenheit ride! woohoo!

Nice! Glad you finally got your ride, and it sounds like you picked a winning day to go to the park. I thought Memorial Day weekend was a good day for lines, but 25 minutes for Fahrenheit and... um... zero... for everything else? That just takes it!

Yeah, I know there is nothing like walking through the que on storm runner and then immediately sitting down! Also, I forgot to mention I did ride Fahrenheit 3 times. Each time I stood in line the wait got progressively shorter. Last ride---15 mins!

An accapella group called the Ice Breakers came and perfored for those waiting in line, which was cool. (Ironic since this coaster is "Fahrenheit")

Also, I did get a good photo of the storage area. I'll get it up as soon as I can.

I totally agree about Maverick. I think it's just a good coaster, and not a great coaster. I think this Farenheit ride looks awesome though. I can't believe the major price difference between these two coasters. One is 12 million (Farenheit), and Maverick is 21 million. Wow.

Well, Maverick is a much longer coaster (4400 to 2700 feet I believe), plus it has the launch and tunnel, which add bucks to the cost.

knowit, 3 rides? that's no fair! Got a kick out of the Ice Breakers line too. Nice product tie-in. They could hand out Peppermint Patties too-- oh wait, wrong attraction!

GREAT TR, Photos, and Dialogue - THANK YOU.

Living in Boston it is going to be a month or two before I get to Hershey, but I will get there this summer (for sure).

Does ANYONE have a video or POV?

I've seen the one testing video, but have yet to see an real POV or off ride video with real people on the ride. If you have a video (post it on youtube) and PLEASE share the link - lol

Maverick, to me, is fun, but a bit jarring. Not in terms of roughness exactly, but it changes directions and elements so suddenly that I dare say that the level of head banging is ALMOST as bad as your average Vekoma.

Sounds about right to me, except omit the part about it being "fun"...

BLASPHEMY

Maverick pushes the absolute limits of intensity. I wish more rides did what Mavvy does.