Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 281: Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses maze announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Give me Disney, or give me death!

Location: Waiting to take a bulldozer into Extreme Makeover: DCA

Postby America Sings Freak » Thu May 17, 2007 4:34 pm

Wow! This will be awesome when I go this summer.

Coaster Count: 49

Flight of James: Ride of Steel the Revenge

Postby jamesdillaman » Thu May 17, 2007 6:45 pm

Could be cool. Although i like water rides where you can choose to get soaked by sitting in a certain spot, or not "soaked-to-the-bone". Especially rides that require you to wear shoes on them. Nothings worse than having wet socks in your shoes and getting wrinkly feet that hurt the rest of the day. Cedar Point even sells dry socks at the end of their Rapids ride, at least they did the last time I rode it.

-James Dillaman

This 16 year old puts you to shame

Postby socalMAN123 » Thu May 17, 2007 6:46 pm

This sounds pretty sweet, seeing as Socal is supposed to get slammed by a huge heat wave this summer. Hopefully I'll actually get out to this park this year!
---Brent =)
Disobey

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Universal Studios Hollywood Simpson's Tech Rehearsal Today

Postby socaldude818 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:41 pm

USH opened the Simpson's Ride this afternoon for a "technical rehersal"from about 2:30pm-5:30pm. Construction was still going on in the surrounding area(concession stand) and parts of the que. Some flatscreen TVs had not been installed yet and touch notes on masking tape were all around the ride. Only the left dome was open and was running about 3/4 capacity. The line was about 20 minutes and the ride was very smooth, fun, and lots of the great Simpson's humor. They really did a first class job converting the ride from BTTF. The Krustyland employees were friendly and efficient. The local Fox station is giving away tickets to be the "first to ride" this Friday before park opening.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu May 15, 2008 12:14 am

They were running 11/12 cars. The rest of the week they are media events, so don't be 100% sure it will be open. The official opening day is now May 19th.

Site Admin

The Simpsons Ride - Universal Studios Hollywood

Postby robbalvey » Fri May 16, 2008 11:22 am

Hey everyone!

This morning I got the opportunity to head down to Universal Studios Hollywood to check out the new Simpsons Ride.

There's been a LOT of talk and coverage about this ride already on Theme Park Review so I'll just get right to the point -

The Good!
Overall Ride Package - As an overall ride package The Simpsons Ride really delivers a great experience! The themed area is great, the building looks fantastic, and the queue, pre-shows, and safety videos steal the show! The ride itself is "fun" but also your standard simulator fare. (I'll get to that part in a moment)

Family Friendly - This ride will absolutely be a hit with families and other park goers. It's only carries a 40" height restriction so young kids will be able to ride.

Attention to Simpsons Detail - If you're a Simpsons fan, you're going to love that you are surrounded by nearly two decades of Simpsons memories. It's all there - the main characters are represented, and plenty of secondaries like Mole Man, Willie, Barney, and even lots of memorable moments like Radioactive Man, The Tooth Chipper, etc. And if you like Itchy & Scratchy, the "safety video" may be the best part of the entire ride! =)

The Not-As-Good
The Simulator - While the simulator ride is "fun" it really is obvious that this is re-dressed technology from 17 years ago. (Yes, Back to the Future was that old!) It doesn't even feel as though they have updated the ride much. When you are on the "boat ride" if feels just like the old "lava ride" from Back to the Future. You still crash through just as many signs and when you fly through Springfield, it's just like flying through Hill Valley. There is even the clock tower courtyard still present in The Simpsons.

There are parts of the ride that are fun, like the roller coaster, the corkscrew, and the "drop ride." But I was really hoping for a "memorable moment" that takes an old ride and gives it something fresh. (See "The Chicken Dance" sequence in the Jimmy Neutron simulator at Universal Orlando.)

3D Simpsons - I have to say that the "3D Animated Look" of the Simpsons just didn't really work for me. Especially after walking through some of the most incredible displays of the Simpsons franchise from over the years, you are presented with this awkward looking version of something so familiar. It makes you think "What IS that?"

I think had either the simulator been more updated OR the animation had been done in 2D I could be more forgiving of the actual ride part of this attraction.

Overall, it's a fun experience. I think most people who come to the park will walk away LOVING the ride. I still think that a franchise with so much history and years worth of material to pull from deserves more than a re-dress of an old attraction (heck you could build an entire Simpsons PARK) and maybe this will be just the start of many more Simpsons rides to come. I sure hope so!

On to some photos....
simpsonshollywood02.jpg
Today I am part of the "Crew!"
simpsonshollywood03.jpg
Oh, they put me to work cleaning signs. This whole "crew" thing isn't cracked up to what I though it would be! =)
simpsonshollywood05.jpg
Any ride where you enter through an insane clown's mouth instantly gets thumbs up!
simpsonshollywood07.jpg
The re-dress of the building and queue area looked FANTASTIC!
simpsonshollywood08.jpg
"The Krusty-est Place on Earth!" They haven't seen my pants lately!
simpsonshollywood19.jpg
The pre-show areas were amazing looking. You are surround by years worth of Simpsons memories.
simpsonshollywood10.jpg
All around the room is "midway booths" staffed by some of your favorite Simpsons characters.
simpsonshollywood14.jpg
Mole Man's booth steals the show!!!
simpsonshollywood15.jpg
I'm sure you know who this guy is.
simpsonshollywood12.jpg
Yes, there are some "anti-Dan" moments on the ride!
simpsonshollywood16.jpg
On the overhead monitors you get to see ads for other "Krustyland" rides and attractions.
simpsonshollywood23.jpg
This one was probably my favorite! =)
simpsonshollywood13.jpg
Someone seriously needs to MAKE all these rides into a Simpsons park!
simpsonshollywood21.jpg
The pre-show starts! The Simpsons are there to check out Krusty's newest ride!
simpsonshollywood27.jpg
We are led into the pre-show room where we are told more story bits and pieces.... "Radiation....BAD!!!"
simpsonshollywood28.jpg
Elissa's favorite part of the ride!
simpsonshollywood29.jpg
Hmm...who could THAT be? =)
simpsonshollywood31.jpg
"Hey, this ride vehicle looks really familiar...."
simpsonshollywood32.jpg
Oh no! Kelsey Grammer is here! "Watch my new show or ELSE!!!"
simpsonshollywood33.jpg
"NO KELSEY!!! DON'T FORCE US TO WATCH! NOOOOOOO!!!!"
simpsonshollywood34.jpg
Ahhh, the safety video!
simpsonshollywood35.jpg
I won't give too much away, but it's awesome!
simpsonshollywood36.jpg
"Hmmm...why do those doors look like they should be on a Delorean?"
simpsonshollywood37.jpg
"I'm having Deja Vu!!!"
simpsonshollywood38.jpg
Thumbs up and we are ready to ride!
simpsonshollywood39.jpg
Here we are! On the ride ready to follow the Simpsons...to their DOOM?!?!
(Photo by Universal Studios)
simpsonshollywood40.jpg
As you can see, they've done a very good job of re-dressing the vehicles, but they still feel VERY "Delorian-ish"
simpsonshollywood43.jpg
Photo from the ride itself - you can see the 3D version of Homer! (The Yellow one, not the TPR Member!)
(Photo by Universal Studios)
simpsonshollywood44.jpg
Another look at the ride vehicle. This should make Ryan cry! :D
simpsonshollywood45.jpg
It has a clown coming out of it's butt!
simpsonshollywood56.jpg
So overall, the ride is fun. As a complete "ride package" The Simpsons really delivers.
simpsonshollywood58.jpg
The area and the building looked really good! I was surprised how well they pulled off the re-dress.
simpsonshollywood59.jpg
Although I thought it was funny that Doc Brown's Chicken is next to the Kwik-E-Mart!
simpsonshollywood51.jpg
With only a 40" height restriction, it's very family friendly.
simpsonshollywood49.jpg
There's the Gate A and baby swap entrance.
simpsonshollywood50.jpg
More Simpsons randomness.
simpsonshollywood54.jpg
Mmm.....PIE!!!
simpsonshollywood57.jpg
Go ahead...PUSH IT! I DARE YOU!!!!
simpsonshollywood65.jpg
Please build this ride next? Thank you!
simpsonshollywood66.jpg
I'll take this one too!
simpsonshollywood71.jpg
Simpsons merchandise was everywhere.
simpsonshollywood72.jpg
There was even a shirt for Derek & Matt!
simpsonshollywood74.jpg
It's not coming soon...it's happening NOW!!! =)
simpsonshollywood64.jpg
The big-head Simpsons were going to take a ride.
simpsonshollywood61.jpg
Thank you Simpsons & Universal Hollywood. Now please come here and ride the darn thing!

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MrSkyWhirl » Fri May 16, 2008 12:04 pm

Thanks for the report, Robb. I need to figure out what type of jobs you, and folks like Big Mike, have that allow for all of these spur of the moment AND big trips.

Besides the chicken joint, any trace of Back To The Future around (in or out of the building)?

Great pictures.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Fri May 16, 2008 12:25 pm

Robb's in SoCal, so going to USH isn't that big of a trip. ;)

I think we all wish we could jet set around and visit these parks though. :lover:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri May 16, 2008 12:29 pm

^I dunno--sometimes getting across LA can take as long as flying to Florida. ;)

I still watch the Simpsons every Sunday night, so I'm looking forward to checking this attraction out.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri May 16, 2008 12:40 pm

I just updated this with a couple of screen shots from the ride that Universal provided.

You can sort of see the "XBOX Looking" characters that are in the movie.

Enjoy!

--Robb

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!