TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

The thrills don't look on par with Voyage level, but it seems to be a great fit for Waldameer, as everyone in the family can have fun.

I don't know how you can base that off an onride POV, but okay...everyone's entitled to their opinion. I actually thought the coaster looked to have pretty quick pacing, especially through the first two hills and the turn around. I think it's going to be a great addition to Waldameeer and could possibly be the best wooden coaster in a few hour drive from Pittsburgh. I can't wait till Tuesday!

I remain excited about this one. It just looks like my kind of ride: short but full of unique elements, terrain-y, lots of variety. I'm definitely being pulled up that way by it.

The thrills don't look on par with Voyage level, but it seems to be a great fit for Waldameer, as everyone in the family can have fun.

I don't know how you can base that off an onride POV, but okay...everyone's entitled to their opinion. I actually thought the coaster looked to have pretty quick pacing, especially through the first two hills and the turn around. I think it's going to be a great addition to Waldameer and could possibly be the best wooden coaster in a few hour drive from Pittsburgh.

To me, the POV seems to imply a lack of speed on some of the hills, which is why I said the above statement. This is why I used the word "look." Check out the turnaround on the other side of the road. It just seems to die at the top of the hill (Hades seems to have the same problem from the POVs that I've watched, but it could be different in person). I've had this issue ever since I checked out the construction site last year. I'm sure that Ravine Flyer II will be awesome for the park and will a great ride, but I was just stating a concern from the POV.

When I rode Voyage, the coaster just had an out of control feeling, and a mostly good way. I enjoyed the sustained speed as the ride grabs you by the throat and refuses to let go. (Random thought: Voyage could have been a better Intamin Hyper than a woodie due to the high speeds and therefore less stress on the wood). I'll find out for myself when I go to Waldameer later this month.

To me, the POV seems to imply a lack of speed on some of the hills, which is why I said the above statement. This is why I used the word "look."

The pacing seemed fine to me. Some of the track shaping looked pretty bad though, for a brand new ride. By that I mean it appears like the workers mis-layed the track in a few spots, it just looks goofy. Maybe it's just the video.

You have to remember, Waldameer was going for a thrilling ride that the whole family can ride. They weren't going for a Voyage type ride. I think the high turnaround will have a pop as you crest in the front, and some floater down the drop in the back. Other than that, it seems to have air on every hill, especially that one with the anti-rollback strip at the crest, it really flew through that, especially since the ride is new.

Some of the track shaping looked pretty bad though, for a brand new ride. By that I mean it appears like the workers mis-layed the track in a few spots, it just looks goofy. Maybe it's just the video.

I think it's just the video. I noticed that some of the track looked "warped" in that video. Not sure why.

--Robb

Some of the track shaping looked pretty bad though, for a brand new ride. By that I mean it appears like the workers mis-layed the track in a few spots, it just looks goofy. Maybe it's just the video.

I think it's just the video. I noticed that some of the track looked "warped" in that video. Not sure why.

--Robb

The only real spot that concerns me, from the Reverse POV that was posted compared to the actual POV is the hop and turn into the 90 degree turn, it seems to be rather unbanked and on the Reverse it shows people thrown into their sides, although must not be that bad, because there wasn't any grimaces on the riders face.

I would be there for the opening, but I'm in Chicago right now. I'll hopefully be heading up to Waldameer next weekend, though.

The pacing looks fine to me, although there are a couple of slow spots near the end. I noticed some odd trackwork in the POV as well. As long as it's not a Rattler-type situation, I'm fine with it.

^I think it's safe to say that it's just the camera making the track look weird. If you watch the video looking back at the riders, you can see how messed up the camera makes them look. Plus, look at any picture showing some of the track, it's not all messed up.

Front seat is amazing. The coaster is very fast, and the POV does not do the ride justice in terms of height. The bridge gives some good airtime, as does the drop back over the road and the bunny hops. The trackwork was not at all what it looked like in the POV (distortion wise), it was extremely smooth.

Only one criticism that would make this day even better... if they would send out trains more than every five minutes. Literally from stop in the station, to go, was five minutes in-between runs, and the blue train was parked in transfer.

Overall an extremely fun and enjoyable ride... A++ for Waldameer and Gravity Group. While I've never ridden Voyage or Hades I can say that this baby has some good airtime even in the front seat, and tracks very smoothly. A very, very good ride... worth the long construction wait for it.