TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Carowinds need love. When Paramount's owned it, it stunk. Now Cedar Fair owns it, it still stinks. They must get a new wooden roller coaster and tear down Hurler because it is horrible. The turns are okay but everything else stinks. After Burn, Nighthawk, Vortex and Taxi Jam needs paint jobs. Get some new flat rides like the bigger parks have like CW Slege Hammer or Psyclone or that stand up enterprise thingy. Maybe get a CP Sky Hawk or MaXair.

Also get a LIM/LSM launch coaster or somethnig big and fast. Also get a B&M hyper. Get a new water ride or re-do the Log Flume.

With the interview with CF CEO, they are not spending much money on things this year. For God's sake, they should of gotten a coaster from Geagua Lake like Villian, Head Spin, or Raging Wolf Bob's.

(The only thing CF spends money on is trash cans) (j/k).

Please do not be critical of me for being so mean to them but they need strong improvements. I like Carowinds but please help them CF.

sushirocks13 wrote:

Also, the parking lot beside thunder road would be the perfect spot for a big coaster.....

maybe a B&M floorless(which would be my choice) or a launched coaster or something BIG!!

...Amen!

Would you like fries with that...

I agree Nighthawk needs a paint job, I also think Carolina Cyclone needs a paint job. Hurler is not all that ruogh. Its alot smoother than the KD version. I happen to like Carowinds, yeah their rides are only mediocre but its a fun place and very enjoyable.

Maybe I was to mean or whatever but listen to this. This is from www.screamscape.com

2009 - New Attraction - Rumor - (5/15/08) I know this is a long shot right now, but if anyone happens to drive in or around Carowinds in the next few days, keep and eye out for some possible coaster parts. According to one local area reader, they were driving down I-77 not too far from Carowinds and ended up being passed by a couple of trucks that appeared to be hauling what “looked to be Large Silver Roller Coaster supports”.

Now of course, without photos we don’t even know if they really were coaster supports on the trucks, but on the chance that they were ride parts, heading south on I-77, Carowinds is really about the only destination they could be going. It’s also worth mentioning that I-77 starts just south of Cleveland, the former home of the now closed Geauga Lake. Last year Carowinds was mentioned to me as one of two possible homes for Geauga Lake’s Head-Spin coaster, a Vekoma Boomerang which has white supports as you can see the RCDB photo. Very interesting coincidence… anyone know more?

I said they should get something like Head Spin maybe.

^I don't think we were calling you mean, just unrealistic.

I don't get why on earth getting a used boomerang would be a good thing for this park, it's pretty much the type of thing that is keeping this park in a state of being horribly average.

Carowinds is my home park and I love it to death (really like everyone else in the Charlotte area). I wouldn't mind a boomerang at Carowinds because head-banging dosent annoy me all that much to be honest. I think that it won't annoy the GP, and these things are VERY easy to advertise, so more the GP likes it, the more people will come, the more $$ Dicky makes and MAYBE they'll believe in us and give us a REAL coaster.

I think we are getting Head Spin. White Coaster supports were spotted on I-77 heading to Carowinds. Head Spin's supports were silver but look white in the pics on rcdb so that could have been a simple mistake.

I have alot of friends who work at the park so they should let me know by friday if there are parts at the park. Or someone could just drive by sooner and see.

I think coaster parts are already there.

I am happy that we are getting something. Head Spin...eh, at least it's a decent edition. I want a gci woodie instead though but oh well I will take what I can get.

I just want the park to get something new and not used.

I am actualy excited we are getting a boomerang..maybe..

This year, wave pool 2.0.!

Head Spin is still standing in Ohio so it is not Head Spin. Alot of things look like supports for a roller coaster, and unless we are getting a 500 foot coaster, supports wouldn't be coming this early. There isn't even footers in the ground yet. Footers generally come before supports.

I truly and honestly doubt Carowinds will be acknowledged at all. Chances are, no Head Spin for you guys.

I guess I'd rather have Carowinds get Head Spin than KD...

I heard rumors Kings Dominion could get Head Spin (even with Dominator).

• 2 weeks later...
I read on screamscape that a guy said it was still standing at GL but he had no pic proof. Can anyone provide some pictures of it still at GL?

I figured with all your connections at carowinds you wouldnt need to ask us here anything... or did they also get fired?

I think headspin, although a pretty rough ride, would be an ok edition to the park if they decided to add it later on into the season. but if KD ends up getting it in addition to dominator(which i think should be ours[carowinds'] in the first place {tear} and that's my personal opinion} i will be really P.O-ed. . I sure do hope they can get it. although it wouldn't be an AMAZING new ride, i think it would fit in well in carowinds.

I would welcome it with open arms. I have always liked boomerang coasters and would love one at my home park.

If my connections (which still work there) are correct then we're in for some big suprises over the next 2-3 years.

We'll all just have to wait and see.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from a trip to Carowinds not too long ago, and It was totally empty! I posted a few POV's on www.youtube.com/tuxedomask5432.

As I had not been to the park since 1994, alot has changed. Somehow they've managed to retain the same flair, with the addition of nickelodeon of course. I wonder if that will stick around now that Cedar Fair owns the park.

I wished that Thunder Road's renovations had been completed, but alas. The Hurler would have cut it in 1994, but how it is now was just not acceptable. I was not expecting much from Nighthawk either and I didn't get much. It was pretty shaky, especially where I had to sit in the last car on the outside. Runaway Reptar was an ear banger. I don't think I would like that ride if I was 6 or 26.

On a light note, Afterburn/Top Gun was a blast, and definitely one of the top Inverted coasters i've been on so far. The Carolina Goldrusher and Cyclone were both running great and were just as fun as I remembered, although why did they ditch the tunnel on the Cyclone?

As for a new ride? Well obviously, Thunder Road is 2008's present along with that extra wave pool for kids to pee in. But the idea of another Hyper Coaster in the southeast would be a welcome addition. And they ALWAYS seem to bring in bigger crowds. Six Flags seems to be more crowded since 2006's addition of Goliath, even though I haven't been this year. As for expansion room, they can find it.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been to Carowinds since 2004. Unless somebody gives me a free ticket I'm not necessarily rushing to go back. I love Carowinds it's the closest amusement park to where I live(...........about 2 hours away). I still need the Vortex and Runaway Reptar credits but I can live without those. Hurler is my worst roller coaster I've ever ridden. I'd say it's tied with Rattler at SFFT gosh they are both loads of suck. But I didn't ride Hurler in the front in 04 i think it might of been more towards the back which could explain my horrible pain inducing ride. But as far as I'm concerned I'm not gonna go back till they add a major new coaster. I have many other parks on my "to do" list. Sorry but Flyers, the dutchman ride, a new family slide, a new pool, and a new wave pool aren't gonna make me rush back soon. I think the one thing the park needs to balance out it's collection is a hyper. The highest coaster is 115 feet. That's kinda lame in my opinion. Also a GCI/Intamin pre fab woodie would be really cool.

1. Try to figure out where they're going to put Head Spin.

2. Make sure to ride Afterburn again and again, but call it Top Gun and sing "Take my breath away" by Berlin each time you walk down the exit.

3. I seem to remember they have some really good pizza there.

P.S. Dominator is not a parking lot coaster by any means. Don't be jealous.

^^ ride afterburn a lot, nighthawk's line moves really slowly, try to either hit that first, or depending on what day, whenever the line is kind of short ( that is if you really want to ride it)

Go on a weekday.

thats it for the most part. If you go on a weekday you can pretty much hit everything you want easily