TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park Discussion Thread

Lazy River - sounds like a ride themed to the ride ops at MtO

Post of the thread.

I would much rather ride a lazy river than a waterslide. Much longer experience, and you don't have to stand in line for twenty minutes in the hot sun. I could go to a water park and just do lazy rivers and the wave pool and be totally happy.

Was just about to post this, and you beat me to it with my exact thoughts. Runner-up post of thread!

I personally like to relax in a waterpark. Lazy rivers are a great way to do this. Yay.

I would much rather ride a lazy river than a waterslide. Much longer experience, and you don't have to stand in line for twenty minutes in the hot sun. I could go to a water park and just do lazy rivers and the wave pool and be totally happy.

And lazy rivers don't tear up your back, making it look like you were getting whipped across your back.

I hate body slides, as the ridges between slide sections just tears up my back.

^Between the abuse your back takes, and the almost fatal case of sunburn I got one year at Dorney's waterpark, I wear a shirt now when visiting a waterpark. I'm not sure that I can even go to a waterpark any more, since with my eye surgeries I now am almost blind in the sun without sunglasses, and I have no idea what these places have for a policy about wearing them on water attractions, even with a strap. Something I will have to investigate...

dt

Lazy rivers are really fun to relax on, as other people have stated in this thread. And not everybody can ride/ will ride a waterslide, but almost everybody can enjoy a lazy river, as proven by my 82 year old nana.

^ Most waterparks won't let you wear sunglasses on rides, BUT you can get UV protective swimming goggles, which they will let you wear. I used to have a pair. But before wearing them, I would do the smart thing and get them checked out by your optometrist to see if he/she approves of them.

I can see that but why go to a waterpark to relax?

Not everyone wants to go on slides all day long. Lazy rivers are a good way to cool down without having to wait in long lines for a 20 second thrill.

And all gods children said AMEN

I'm a big fan of Lazy rivers. Besides bein a way to relax, they kick the S out of walking around a waterpark to get to different rides. Hurricane Harbor in Dallas, TX has their river placed PERFECTLY with stops a stones throw away from all the major slide towers...pure bliss.

If this is realy the fastest (lazy) river in the world, there might be a problem with makin sure small children or people who cant swim dont like get sucked under the current and die...that wouldnt be good...nope. Should be interesting how Mt.O goes about ensuring safety...

I do agree about the meaning to relax on a lazy river but why pay to go to a water park?

By that logic, why pay to go to an amusement park if you don't want to ride JUST coasters all day long? Water parks should offer a variety of experiences just like an amusement park does.

Lazy rivers, wave pools, water playgrounds, etc. help round out the water park experience. Mt O already has a ton of crazy slides and a cool wave pool, a lazy river will help balance it out some more. Sometimes you just want to relax in between slides of death.

It isn't really relaxing on a 40mph river!

^ Then what's your problem? If you're going to just post contradictory opinions and argue with everyone, that's not really contributing to the conversation, but that's my opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, I love lazy rivers. My fiance and I have season passes to the Beach waterpark here in Cincinnati and on days that the park is crowded, we just get our free rental tubes (with the platinum pass) and sit in the lazy miami (Their lazy river) until we're pruiny and happy.

This attraction sounds much more like the action rivers at sclitterbahn though than the traditional lazy river. If you like more thrilling things, I think this will deliver.

-James Dillaman

^Between the abuse your back takes, and the almost fatal case of sunburn I got one year at Dorney's waterpark, I wear a shirt now when visiting a waterpark. I'm not sure that I can even go to a waterpark any more, since with my eye surgeries I now am almost blind in the sun without sunglasses, and I have no idea what these places have for a policy about wearing them on water attractions, even with a strap. Something I will have to investigate...

dt

It depends on what you are doing and who is running it. For lazy rivers and wave pools I've never had a problem wearing my glasses. Body slides I've always had to take them off. Tube slides are a crap shoot. Depends on the lifeguard running that particular slide.

• 2 weeks later...

According to RCDB Mt. Olympus has removed Dive to Atlantis -

http://www.rcdb.com/id2397.htm

It does not appear on the park map:

http://www.mtolympuspark.com/park_map/img/2008_park_brochure.pdf

But then it's listed under rides:

http://www.mtolympuspark.com/outdoor_theme/index.htm

Anyone know for sure?

--Robb

^ Woah, Creepy. Especially since the Galaxi is still on the front page of Riverview's site.

RCDB isn't known for having incorrect information...especially when I believe these are some of Duane's local parks!

--Robb

Dive to Atlantis = Most pointless "water coaster" ever. A long water portion with absolutely no theming in a boat that goes 2 mph. Even though the ride soaks you, I'm glad the ride was taken out.

It just felt "plopped down."

I'm not too surprised.

Removing Dive to Atlantas drops Mt. Olympus' capacity by what, 20 people an hour?

That ride had the worst capacity. And lazy ride ops didn't help it.

And considering how slow those boats float to the lift, I should never have seen THIS!!