TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

I think it's only appropriate that we all go to Epcot and start randomly urinating in the China pavillion.

(the best way to pull this off is to do World Showcase counterclockwise - by the time you get to China, you should have been able to get some quality drinking done)

just time it when everyone else is watching the acrobats.

(please note, I am not encouraging or condoning rampant urination on Disney property)

Really? I never realized such a difference in culture between Hong Kong and Mainland China.

As for the park itself, I'm more interested in what might happen to it in 2046, which is the year when China's pledge not to drastically change Hong Kong expires. But, by that time, with the way things are going now, China may not even be a communist country anymore.

I think it's only appropriate that we all go to Epcot and start randomly urinating in the China pavillion.

(the best way to pull this off is to do World Showcase counterclockwise - by the time you get to China, you should have been able to get some quality drinking done)

(please note, I am not encouraging or condoning rampant urination on Disney property)

Too bad Ice Station Cool closed....

Err, I mean, this is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard! Have they no manners?

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard. You could do it as a P.R. stunt. Use those camelback water jugs and pretend like you are peeing in the bushes and say its in protest of peeing at Hong Kong Disneyland.

^^^I doubt it'd be an effective PR stunt. The only six people who'd care have already posted here.

If you want to read an entirely different response to this story, go check out the forums on FARK (where I blatantly stole the link from). There's about three "Mickey Mao" jokes, then it all goes downhill into a Communist debate from there.

Sorry having computer problems today, so can't put link up..

But yes they do have land for the second gate, going by the story no word yet on shanghai.

But they want the people from southern china and hong kong, so looking at making it a mutli day resort..

I was a little bit shocked when I read this. I mean, the park opened to the public yesterday, and now they're already making plans for a second park? They should just put more E-ticket rides in HKDL than a whole new park.

---Brent 8)

The plans for a second gate where already there even before they opened the first gate. So this news is not realy new, but they just waited to go public.

Sorry for the double post...Robb if this breaks a rule, since i took it from variety, please delete..

cheers

ross

HONG KONG -- Disney has barely finished its first day of celebrations for Hong Kong Disneyland, but there's already talk of another Disney theme park next door.

Disney chairman George Mitchell unveiled the plans Tuesday at a lunch hosted by the Hong Kong General Chamber of Commerce to laud Monday's opening of the new Magic Kingdom.

Mitchell said reclamation work had already begun in an area near the park in Penny's Bay on Lantau Island. But, he added, the land would be earmarked for a new Disney resort, which would eventually include another theme park, rather than an expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland, as was widely expected.

"Eventually, the addition of an entire new theme park adjacent to the current park will transform the site into a true multi-day destination resort," Mitchell told the chamber.

He had no details on the cost of the project or when building might begin. Local media later reported the government expected construction on Phase II to start as early as 2010.

Mitchell was also unable to provide details on the much-mooted Shanghai Disneyland. "No agreement has been reached," he said. "No decision has been made."

Disney has a history of locating parks next to one another. Disneylands in California, Florida, Japan and France have multiple theme parks.

"This is a region of explosion," added Jay Rasulo, prexy of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, who also was at the lunch. "There's a huge potential in South China, Hong Kong" and the region, he added.

However, in an interview with Daily Variety last month, Rasulo said no new Disneylands would open in this part of Asia "before the end of this decade."

Ten million visitors a year at the first Hong Kong park is likely to be the trigger that will greenlight the second park. The government projects it will have 5.6 million visitors a year.

Mitchell reiterated that Hong Kong, rather than mainland China, was a natural choice for Asia's first Disneyland.

"I've been impressed with the cooperation and coordination" of the government, he said. The government owns a majority stake in the $3.5 billion park and hotel joint venture.

Mitchell expects the Hong Kong park will boost tourism growth locally.

"There is little question there will be other vendors smart enough to cash in on this trend," he said, adding that he expected the new enterprises to be enhancements for Disney.

In the meantime, Disney will continue promoting its cast of characters and brand in the region through various media and events. They include three new Disney shows on Chinese-language free-to-air broadcaster TVB Jade in Hong Kong; a 40-city tour in China with Disney on Ice; a mobile subscription service in China that has grown at a monthly rate of 35% since its launch last year; 23 Disney-branded blocks and programs that reach 380 million households throughout the region; and Mickey Mouse Magazine, which has a circulation of 75,000 and readership of 1.8 million in China.

(Patrick Frater in Hong Kong contributed to this report.)

I think it's going to be interesting how they're Pirates Of the Carribean will use the Splash Mountain style log flume. I wonder if this will be built in Magic Kingdom or at the second gate park? (Hoping any of this news is true)

You're way off.

I still don't see what all the big deal is about some kids peeing. I mean, I see adults peeing at SFMM all the time!

Some kids pee at HKDL and it makes the national news yet a guy gets caught peeing at Cedar Point ON THE WEBCAM and no one mentions it.

--Robb

I just realized, that if they added a Haunted Mansion to HKD, putting it in Adventureland would put an entirely new spin on it, hmm?

Ancient tribal ghosts and goblies, huh? And VooDoo the way they do - woo hoo!!!

And the building itself could be a jungle temple-mansion in it's own way or just a Haunted Temple huh?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised I don't see this posted yet...

2005/10/12

HONG KONG (AP)

A former Disney worker climbed to the roof of the Hong Kong park's most popular attraction and threatened to slash his throat to protest his dismissal, a Disney spokeswoman and newspaper reports said Wednesday.

The 48-year-old man, a former security guard at the theme park, climbed to the top of the building housing the Space Mountain roller coaster on Tuesday and remained there for two hours, Hong Kong Disneyland spokeswoman Esther Wong said.

Photographs published in the Apple Daily newspaper showed the man sporting a white T-shirt with the words "blood," "reveal the truth" and "SOS" written in red paint. He was also shown placing a small penknife at his throat.

The man was unhappy that he was fired three months ago for allegedly violating park rules, including using obscene language during working hours, the paper said.

He climbed down unhurt after a two-hour negotiation with police and fire fighters, Wong confirmed.

A Hong Kong trade union has received about 60 complaints of alleged labor abuse _ including long hours and lack of rest time _ from Hong Kong Disneyland employees since the park opened last month.

But Labor Department spokesman Ricky Chan said Disney had not violated any labor laws.

Wong stressed that the park has already made labor-related improvements after discussions with unionists.