TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knott's KBF 04-26-2008 photo TR

tkkyj

...ugh... I had a really long report written up but Internet Explorer crashed while I was adding pics... I will do this in chunks now...

This was my third time to Knott's:

1st try: Halloweekends 2006... PARK FULL. Couldn't get in!

2nd try: Fall 2007, limited time. Xcelerator is down, and lines are long.

This time, I was by myself and had full control over my activity My main goal was to ride; after I rode the rides, I went to the car for the camera so I could show other people the cool things inside this park.

I loved the park. It is clean and beautiful. Customer service is fantastic and there is a fantastic variety of things to do crammed into the place, and--with the exception of a small area where 4 coasters (Silver Bullet, Jaguar, Montezuma's Revenge, Sierra Sidewinder) come together--it doesn't feel cramed at all. I didn't feel like I was in the middle of some high-densit suburban area while at the park... that is quite an accomplishment!

OK... some pictures to cap this post before IE crashes, and then this story is

TO BE CONTINUED...

tower_over_mine.JPG.cb62cf6ea471cedcc32f6f50d7da9958.JPG

The Sky Tower, er, towering over the mine

knotts_gate.JPG.fa4be74a7b3de29c5a66fd818fc75c08.JPG

the gate

knotts_entryway.JPG.fa89b19357c67c8f114de0bb9968b1b0.JPG

The sign over the entry road... other signs were more confusing... such as the ones that seemed to direct me to parking lots that were full already.

knotts_outside.JPG.d9116e8f03871b4e8b5a05fcf435b2de.JPG

The view from the grassy lot I parked in at 11AM.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAMP SNOOPY

Snoopy is probably my all time fav cartoon character, and I thought this area of the park was designed very well.

CHARLIE BROWN'S SPEEDWAY

What's this? The Whip? I always liked The Whip and I haven't seen one in years. Too bad this one is just for the kids!

HUFF AND PUFF (?)

I thought this was a unique ride. Kids push a lever forward and back to propel the carts around a small track.

PONY EXPRESS

I doubt I've captured anything that hasn't been seen already, but here are a few pics from Sky Tower and the train. When I walked by, the flywheel was spinning, but I didn't hang out and see what they were doing with it.

Again, this story is

TO BE CONTINUED...

sky_tower.thumb.JPG.5527cab58b7324f8d7cf5096a87cb04d.JPG

I love Sky Rides and Sky Towers... and this one is so photogenic

pony_trains.JPG.4232ad467f1dd20b3dfb74b83cd3d5ee.JPG

Pony trains

pony_station.JPG.719de0a4ad67b4a32ccd9797b8cfa435.JPG

Pony station?

pony_flywheel2.JPG.88ad56df8c1e9de01b17275b732be73c.JPG

Pony flywheel

pony_flywheel.JPG.7c1fcff33ae86ace0426fe8d9001ad29.JPG

Pony flywheel

tower_pony_crop.JPG.87327c3dd572799d46c7af7b083fd260.JPG

Pony Express from Sky Tower

huff_and_puff.JPG.74271bffcb1fec4812291e46c488007f.JPG

Huff and Puff

the_whip.JPG.b8b18aa5bc2f9af9c834aab3cb04a46a.JPG

Charlie Brown Speedway... or a mini "Whip"

snoopy_camp_store.JPG.c3151b011865350a5f504eb92d80901d.JPG

Snoopy store

snoopy_sign.thumb.JPG.ce16741a6591e2f16d60d2e82208250c.JPG

After driving 380 miles from Oakland, I really wanted to ride any ride that I haven't ridden before anywhere else. Sierra Sidewinder really intrigues me, but the line.... barely..... moves..... and... when... it... does.......

...it...moves........very.......slow......

What is up with this ride? It must be hard to load? One train would dispatch and finish the circuit long long LONG before the ops could ready the next train for dispatch.

Too slow for me.... I couldn't take the heat and left the line.

I've got to return the rental car I took down there (about $50 for 3 days... and that crappy Hyundai Elantra gets much better MPGs than my 10 year old Mustang)... so... TO BE CONTINUED>>> yah, Back to the Future style.

"CHARLIE BROWN'S SPEEDWAY

What's this? The Whip? I always liked The Whip and I haven't seen one in years. Too bad this one is just for the kids!" (tkkyj)

I've ridden this, and your picture shows an adult on it, so I think you could ride. As I recall, it was kind of fun.

Nice view of Pony Express from the tower. This is the first time I've seen it in all of its extents. The ride covers a larger area than I thought it would.

Eric

^ The sign said something to the effect of "if you are taller than this, you must be accompanied by someone shorter than THIS"... I should have at least ASKED! Thanks for the tip--I will try next time. I'd like to see a giant version of a whip... with jumps. Or a vertical one!

OK, some more pics and words....

SILVER BULLET

A terrific inverted coaster with some intense positive Gs and a real good air time spot (made me ask myself if I've experienced air time on an inverted before... myself has yet to answer).

MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE

I missed out on CGA's Tidal Wave(?), which I think had a slightly different launch, but was otherwise pretty similar. So, this was the first time I've ridden such a ride. I liked it a lot, and I thought it looked pretty cool, too. Despite knowing what would happen, I ended up being forced to look at my shoes for a second until I could push my head back.... derp!

JAGUAR

Owwwww.... why do kids scream in the station caves? Why does it smell like puke in here? Other than that, this was better than I was expecting. It is pretty exciting for a junior coaster, IMO.

SIERRA SIDEWINDER

Looks cool. {sigh}

XCELERATOR

This is a sweet ride. Launched coasters may become cliche and gimmicky, but I really liked Xcelerator. I've ridden Top Thrill Dragster, and there IS an extra punch there with the extra height on top of the great freedom of the restraints and the acceleration... but Xcelerator is just so cool. It looks cool, the line was only about 30 minutes, and it might even accelerate faster. High enough!

SCREAMIN SWING

Ugh... I don't like to pay an extra fee after paying for an unlimited ride admission... make up your mind!

I rode Sky Hawk at Cedar Point (bigger and free), so I figured I could save my $5 for 32 oz. of berry punch... or a gallon or so of gasoline. If only gasoline was thirst-quenching... it's so much cheaper than the beverages at KBF!

PERILOUS PLUNGE

I think I mentioned that I didn't ride any water rides this time. This ride looks INSANE! I know it will freak me out when I finally do it.

RIP TIDE

I was disappointed to see the boring program for this ride. Last year it was soaking everyone and then whirling them dry. But now it doesn't do a whole lot and everyone stays dry Maybe it is a seasonal thing...

LOG RIDE

I'm so glad they have one... Can't wait to try it next time.

supreme_end.thumb.JPG.604aed8208fc73dd11fce35a187250ec.JPG

OK, now I'm in Ghost Town looking back at Supreme Scream...

time for a pause.

TO BE CONCLUDED...

supreme_scream.thumb.JPG.6f869feabb0b393037aa3e49783491ce.JPG

I love these rides. Something about going faster than gravity could accomplish on its own is really, really cool.

perilous_plunge.JPG.86ed212b8d35123d493f12ef30352bf1.JPG

Yikes! That is steeeeep.

xlr8_train_close.JPG.86a816a3c51e3d7cf68718635f4bc455.JPG

I love these trains for Xcelerator. No giant dragster tires are going to fall off HERE... and they still look great!

stage.JPG.fd7ee79cb6e4995b72f044cd1bfb21b1.JPG

The Courthouse / stage seems to get used a lot or many different things throughout the year.

rc_pit_road.JPG.beba9b2ef7351b3c4241aed6e767344d.JPG

Particularly Pit Road...

rc_cars.JPG.91a125de868bd573626675cd7f434e6e.JPG

I like all the detail in the RC cars attraction.

screamin_swing.thumb.JPG.5bd82e1a9e671b901c85a9594ab0ad2c.JPG

Screamin Swing. When I found out you have to pay extra to ride, I started screaming obscenities and swinging my fists.

xlr8_from_tower.thumb.JPG.b59de35dfa7c3b78ebce9371cd9dbd09.JPG

I can see Xcelerator from here... kind of... it would be easier if these windows were clean!

sky_tower_up.thumb.JPG.9a460ab3ef0c366ef700335b2f1bbe06.JPG

Sky Tower... going up...

palms_and_towers.JPG.f4ca6c99452a4e93a221b1057244c3a1.JPG

Palm trees and towers

fiesta_fountain.JPG.5dc03a0700983c66bcc2ce9bb056d4c4.JPG

I didn't spend a lot of time in the fiesta area--it seemed like rides that I have ridden before, but I'm sure I overlooked some things. Another nice fountain.

fountain.JPG.70d3dfa3df36e41321e5614e020fc0ad.JPG

Nice fountain. KBF has lots of nice things

entrance.thumb.JPG.2dcae288d74a44954daf193600c64d98.JPG

Knott's has a pretty chaotic entrance. Even though there is a "welcome wagon," the first step inside is overwhelmed by Silver Bullet

bullet_zuma_jag_winder.JPG.69ec8d1357f70102fcda5899adbb32ed.JPG

"Coaster Mash"

Silver Bullet, Jaguar, Montezuma's Revenge, and Sierra Sidewinder

RIP TIDE

I was disappointed to see the boring program for this ride. Last year it was soaking everyone and then whirling them dry. But now it doesn't do a whole lot and everyone stays dry Taiko Sad Maybe it is a seasonal thing...

It is a seasonal thing.

Great TR!

Last summer was tha last time the water would be used for ride cycling. As most people who frequently visit KBF you'd know Rip Tide has a lot of downtime. One way maintainence came up with to reduce downtime was to keep it on "Show Water" only. This summer Rip Tide will not be a water ride

Thanks for clearing that up about Rip Tide. I agree--last year I stood there in that hot sun and watched it for a few cycles because it was so interesting and hilarious to see the ride tease and torture people. I told a lot of people about it (and sent out YouTube links to videos of it) because it was so cool. It has lost a ton of appeal now.

It was one of the last rides I saw before leaving and I didn't want to be soaked for the ride home. I swore I would ride it no matter what the next time, but like b&m says, it didn't seem worth waiting in the hot sun for it anymore.

Maybe Rip Tide is the ride they should charge extra for, with full water effects (and make Screamin Swing free).

I've only been to the park twice, but on both occasions it seemed like Xcelerator had more downtime than Rip Tide. Why not run at lower power in "rollback mode" with 1 train to lower maintenance time

Oh well... I hope they reconsider. Now that it is dry, it is easy to see rust/stains on the bottom of the ride "chassis" or whatever the rotating seat platform is called. I guess it may be too much to hope that CGA's Firefall would have a wet program now... grrrrrrrr... It sounds like one of those things that parks try and eventually reverse if enough people complain about it. I will probably fire off a message to the park about it soon... if visitors don't say anything, the park will probably think that people just didn't notice and don't mind the change.

I'll get my last pics up later today... mostly Ghost Town stuff. Oh, I didn't realize how rare WIPEOUT is and I didn't ride... whoops!

CALICO MINE RIDE

I rode this last time. It looks really nice and seems like it could fit in at a Disney park, but I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I'm glad I rode it, but at the time the line was very slow and it didn't end up paying off for me. It is something I expect I will ride again, though, because it seems really unique.

OK, I tried to take a lot of pictures in Ghost Town. I think this part of the park is really cool--yet I suspect it could be the first area to "take one for the team" when more space is needed.

I grew up near Detroit, and the concept of moving old buildings from different areas long distances into one big collection is a little familiar. Henry Ford built a place called Greenfield Village like that (Sorry, Dayton... you're not getting the Wright Bros. bicycle shop back...).

This area reminds me of Greenfield Village and Cedar Point's Frontier Trail... and my parents said the same thing when I sent them some of these pictures.

GHOSTRIDER

Owwwwwwwww! The layout looks really cool and I thought this was going to be one of those underrated rides.... but... I didn't like it. It was very very uncomfortable. I was seated in the middle of the train, and someone else's review mentioned that the front is an entirely different ride, so I will give it another chance someday. I've ridden some rough, bad coasters before (Psyclone, Roar, Grizzly, Mean Streak), but this one takes the cake IMO. It makes Mean Streak seem excellent, and I didn't think anything other than hard drugs could do that.

undertaker.thumb.JPG.c1f631135935d05251f1cf470e0d3e29.JPG

That's all, folks!

actually, not quite... stay tuned for bonus pics :)

sutters.JPG.8332a1cf5c98ad8aafaf1ee911f89c88.JPG

sticks_and_stones.JPG.b582b88590ab0eea291f8fec0aaad580.JPG

schoolhouse_desc.thumb.JPG.1ae657200ab2d46493120c8ebf36aeb5.JPG

schoolhouse_perspective.JPG.1c52f26986ce7cf02a40ffe684a8412b.JPG

saloon_hotel.JPG.0db4bf08b89add5dc44ddfee2a03b2b8.JPG

old_train.JPG.04bc5cf2d6a22936143496d7a0076164.JPG

Was this train ever used at the park? When?

museum_and_townhall.JPG.19b5c9bb02d6f88cc4ff194b421757fd.JPG

Museum and Town Hall. I really liked the museum. I wish all parks had them.

more_ghost_town.JPG.91a2e4f41e9e773db6cf8b828d1abbc4.JPG

More Ghost Town

jail.thumb.JPG.df041136c578bcb49fd8d29c8d2283e5.JPG

Jail

ghost_shops.JPG.58c675352ddad7254a2d89d3ed110d43.JPG

Shops

ghost_food.JPG.2708a19b09752f0ccb8035f99b771112.JPG

Ghost Food. This is where your money goes to die.

crafts_windmill.JPG.cf20d838fda6cc7b6c0c87737cf54b03.JPG

Crafts

blacksmith.JPG.06e7b3909feed2fc1ba910b6b2d6482a.JPG

Blacksmith

bank.JPG.8abb7c3ba7454d5fbce0322760d4454d.JPG

Bank

gun_shop.JPG.71d4217b71205406e781eec8e49aa420.JPG

Gun Shop

gold_trails_hotel.JPG.b3980c117d9bd21bd4584e5a95e2574c.JPG

Gold Trails Hotel

bird_cage_theatre.JPG.fac9a376b47868007cc26ccd5ab04fb4.JPG

Bird Cage Theatre

bear_shop.JPG.2c92c6e373451c12429f0dcd843b5f77.JPG

Bear Shop

geode_shop.JPG.b1eb392c9d87b322fcd761766421e94f.JPG

I meant to go back here to see what this is all about. It looks like there are some rocks that the shopworker will cut open for the kids. Do some of the rocks have toys inside or something?

ghost_town_entrance.JPG.4ebeab4cd8c1f8dd869e9cf3d27181d8.JPG

This way to Ghost Town... don't forget to have $0.51 to make a Snoopy penny on the way...

Still a few things left....

angus_open.JPG.1ab1f4f00acbcb082cea022090362864.JPG

See?

THANKS FOR READING! Hope you enjoyed it. I certainly did, and I hope I have a few more opportunities to go back to this great park this summer!

angus_box.JPG.3a9b2f9d949ded36af69d50c611e3ce7.JPG

Finally... once I left, I was starving... a quick stop in Hungry Valley unveiled a new McDonald's sandwich that isn't available in northern California (or many other places): The Angus Third Pounder. I thought it was a great sandwich.

independance_hall.JPG.cfafa459dfaf2d2d462208dc37ebdc33.JPG

I didn't feel like walking through the tunnel over there, but Knott's has a great replica of Independance Hall. From what I remember, it says something like the blueprints created for the replica were used to refurbish the REAL Independance Hall... note: if it doesn't say that, it is still a good story, pass it on.

stagecoach_close.thumb.JPG.f563900ea1d7cef1ea7ac9b0b7e7ab96.JPG

is it as fun as it looks?

stagecoach_station.JPG.265928fdb1875efe11cf7f49fdf59fb3.JPG

I liked that the stage coaches have a nice course to travel on, and some of it is elevated.

train_car.JPG.541a61b587b5ce94452620dd527beacf.JPG

these cars are really cool

train_leaving.JPG.c7a6e9d5e576394bc6cd187e2196b384.JPG

train.JPG.61cb5271377e1bcc9425be967426e2bc.JPG

Knott's has a nice looking train

Thanks--I stood and watched the flywheel spinning for a while I walked by it a few times but never saw a train launch.

It looks like a pretty fun course! I haven't been following Pony Express much--is the second hill taller than the first? It looks like that from the pic I took from Sky Tower.

Nice trip report, its great to see my home park through another person's eyes. I really enjoyed the Ghost Town pics, I go to Knott's a lot but never even bother to check any of that stuff out. Thanks for sharing!

I had to laugh at your noting of McDonald's Angus Third Pounder as being a "new" burger. They've been here in SoCal for over a year!

Looks like you had a great time at Knott's. It's been nearly a year since I went, so I'm getting ready to go again soon...probably when Pony Express opens.

Eric

Very nice photos, haven't seen such a complete look of Knott's in a long time!

Its very sad what has become of Ghost Town, because although it could be worse, it used to be much better. Thing is, its probably only going to get worse. Back when I used to have a pass I carved my name in the sand wall next to Indian Trails with a bunch of friends and used to sit on that train you mentioned (that I don't believe ever ran in the park) ever since I can remember; the park used to be so nostalgic. That's the kind of stuff I hope they always leave alone no matter how many coasters they add.

Too bad about Ghostrider too, did you see the sign out on the front of the station? "Best in the West." That's because it used to be.

Thanks for sharing your trip!

I rode Ghostrider a few weeks ago and although it is an angry coaster I don't think it is too rough.I have only been on our local woodies but when you ride Colossus over at SFMM you might have to wear a mouth guard and a kidney belt. I'm with you, paying for that swing is crap. I hate when parks do that. Your report is great thanks for posting.

Very nice photos, haven't seen such a complete look of Knott's in a long time!

Its very sad what has become of Ghost Town, because although it could be worse, it used to be much better. Thing is, its probably only going to get worse. Back when I used to have a pass I carved my name in the sand wall next to Indian Trails with a bunch of friends and used to sit on that train you mentioned (that I don't believe ever ran in the park) ever since I can remember; the park used to be so nostalgic. That's the kind of stuff I hope they always leave alone no matter how many coasters they add.

Knott's Ghost Town Is easily the most themed area in that park. There are many of us park enthusiasts who would love to see that area remain the way it is. However, being the land-locked park that it is, something has to go out in order for something new to go in. I dont believe much more of Ghost Town will be removed or altered...at least for a few more years. I think we'll see Ride supports OVER Ghost Town before anything else is removed or altered. There are many people who would disagree with doing this, but you have to keep in mind that it's much harder to sell nostalgia at 50 bucks a visit than to ride Xcelerator, Sierra Sidewinder and Timberline Twister as much as you want. Cedar Fair is a business, and bussinesses like to make profits. Rides and shows bring in crowds, looking at some stuff...not so much.

Ah--I heard you guys have had that burger for a while! Parts of NY have it, too... but it will be "new" to a lot of others!

I was surprised that Ghost Town occupied such a large part of the park. I also liked that the trash cans were shaped like barrels. If you like it, it doesn't hurt to write to the park and tell them how much you like it. If they do remove some buildings, I hope they are able to eventually place them elsewhere... perhaps theming the path to Soak City.

I noticed that by the log ride, they had put out some of those foot massagers... and some kids were complaining that it ate their quarter. I took a look at how they were powered, and it seemed like 4 of those things were plugged into your average home power strip (along with a vending machine)! I'm sure that if the kid put a quarter in while the vending machine's compressor was on, it probably tripped the breaker on the strip (if it has one).

I liked that Knott's has a lot of rides that stray from the typical staples (Arrow looper, Wild Mouse, Ferris Wheel)... and look how many launched coasters they will have!

I assume the upcharge for the Screamin' Swing is a convenient way to deal with capacity?

Here are a few more pics from the tower, run through Photoshop a few too many times to try to remove the Vaseline from the Tower's windows....

tower_scream.thumb.JPG.d117df96b4b5558aa19d4a1cc4e55758.JPG

Supreme Scream

tower_pony2.JPG.098e27e8c31301bd6f281c06e6ccbea5.JPG

Looking towards Pony Express

tower_independance_hall.JPG.d5d906bcbacb728cd43d460618a7e2fd.JPG

Looking towards Independance Hall

silver_bullet.JPG.695710f22cb76c84a70a7ac953170f0d.JPG

Silver Bullet

I dont believe much more of Ghost Town will be removed or altered...at least for a few more years. I think we'll see Ride supports OVER Ghost Town before anything else is removed or altered.

That would be fine Actually, it would be better if they are able to hide the ride somehow... maybe with one of those cool canopies like the one that stands over Fremont St. in Vegas

but a little more subtle. Maybe it could show the night sky at first, then evolve into some kind of passive story about the gold rush... meanwhile, coasters travel above the canopy (which I think is transparent during the day).

keep in mind that it's much harder to sell nostalgia at 50 bucks a visit than to ride Xcelerator, Sierra Sidewinder and Timberline Twister as much as you want.

I imagine that it is also hard to quantify how enjoyable the nostalgia experience is to a visitor, too. When I was hungry or thirsty, I tried to make sure I went to that part of the park so that--maybe--somehow the numbers will show that I spent time in that part of the park!

Maybe if the season passes ever get RFID-ified, they can see exactly where we spend our time... each time we walk through the entrance of the museum, how many times we walk through the tunnel to Soak City, visit Independance Hall, etc.

In fact, maybe each gate in the coaster stations could sense which train I was on, and instead of having all of those individual photo booths, there could be one central one that pulls up all of my on-ride photos for the day. edit: ...or from home...