TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Fiesta Texas (4/18)

Since SF went so far with their other SF parks in the invert choice there's no need to change it now and make some of us that are locals at the others jealous. It's a proven intense design. The colors allow it to fit in with their section. The ride would be out of place as Batman, as a dark green or black color, whatever. They could have really trashed and dissed the reputation of the park if they went SLC so be glad and thankful.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott - it's not close to the Hemisfair area. It's on the far northwest side of town, at I-10 and Loop 1604. And SeaWorld is about 10 miles southwest of Fiesta Texas, just off 1604. Apparently, about 15 years ago, this was the boonies. The city's grown like crazy since then.

Like the colors. Wonder why they went with a design identical( or similiar) to the Batman coasters at other Six Flags parks. But great TR!!

This ride was relocated because it's evident SFNO will not reopen. So SFFT didn't entirely get this ride because the park needed a new ride, SF just didn't want to scrap it. It seems to fit the park very well, but three things that stick out like sore thumbs:

1) It makes little to no sense to have both a B&M invert and floorless in the same park, as they create the exact same riding experience

2) 105 foot coaster with a 90 foot drop...and you call it goliath?

3) no one is as big a fan of batman clones as I, (my fav. coaster at SFMM after X), but with SFOT a suitible drive away, it would have been more fitting to see a custom ride go in to this park

other than these points, i think its an okay fit and look forward to my trip to both texas parks in june.

xlnt PTR

Like the colors. Wonder why they went with a design identical( or similiar) to the Batman coasters at other Six Flags parks. But great TR!!

This ride was relocated because it's evident SFNO will not reopen. So SFFT didn't entirely get this ride because the park needed a new ride, SF just didn't want to scrap it. It seems to fit the park very well, but three things that stick out like sore thumbs:

1) It makes little to no sense to have both a B&M invert and floorless in the same park, as they create the exact same riding experience

3) no one is as big a fan of batman clones as I, (my fav. coaster at SFMM after X), but with SFOT a suitible drive away, it would have been more fitting to see a custom ride go in to this park

other than these points, i think its an okay fit and look forward to my trip to both texas parks in june.

xlnt Photo TR

I agree. B&M needs to design their inverted and floorless coasters with more variety, whether its removing some inversions, make the coaster longer, etc. And the same for the coaster's name- the name of the ride needs to fit it. Example: Kingda Ka and Expedition Everest. Ka's name is perfectly suited for it due to it's location in Six Flags Great Adventure, and it is pretty much the king of all coasters. And Everest for the design of its trains and the theming and story of the coaster.

I guess i can also agree with your last point. Every SF park does need a Batman clone.

xlnt Photo TR

I agree. B&M needs to design their inverted and floorless coasters with more variety, whether its removing some inversions, make the coaster longer, etc. And the same for the coaster's name- the name of the ride needs to fit it. Example: Kingda Ka and Expedition Everest. Ka's name is perfectly suited for it due to it's location in Six Flags Great Adventure, and it is pretty much the king of all coasters. And Everest for the design of its trains and the theming and story of the coaster.

I guess i can also agree with your last point. Every SF park does need a Batman clone.

"It makes little to no sense to have both a B&M invert and floorless in the same park, as they create the exact same riding experience" (Bolliger&Mabillard)

SFMM has both a Batman inverted, and a floorless (Scream!), and they are located close to each other in the park. To me, the riding experience isn't that similar. In SFMM's case, Batman is more forceful than Scream!, and Scream! has different kinds of inversions.

Eric

Scream! is a pointless ride to me. it isn't as forceful as batman, though it hits speeds 15 mph faster than batman. Scream was just a filler coaster that got pulled from another park to be put into SFMM to keep the coaster record as cedar point also opened their 16th rollercoaster in 2003. I still think that ride doesnt fit into the park, hence why Ninja (yes...even ninja) gets longer lines than scream in peak season

"It makes little to no sense to have both a B&M invert and floorless in the same park, as they create the exact same riding experience" (Bolliger&Mabillard)

SFMM has both a Batman inverted, and a floorless (Scream!), and they are located close to each other in the park. To me, the riding experience isn't that similar. In SFMM's case, Batman is more forceful than Scream!, and Scream! has different kinds of inversions.

Eric

batman and scream are unfair comparisons because the batman clones were all designed by stengel. the last B&M designed by stengel was Riddler's revenge, after that, B&M started designing in-house. for those in california, compare scream to silver bullet at Knott's bery farm and notice that with the exception of a mid course and interlocking corkscrews on scream, they can technically be the same ride

Scream! is a pointless ride to me. it isn't as forceful as batman, though it hits speeds 15 mph faster than batman. Scream was just a filler coaster that got pulled from another park to be put into SFMM to keep the coaster record as cedar point also opened their 16th rollercoaster in 2003. I still think that ride doesnt fit into the park, hence why Ninja (yes...even ninja) gets longer lines than scream in peak season

I definitely agree that it was just a filler coaster and doesn't fit into the park in its current state. That entire area is the only section of the park I don't care for. They were just so careless with it. I would love to see the current management overhaul that area. I'd like to see them tear out as much of the parking lot as they can and re-theme it to something that isn't stupid. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they threw a bunch of gravel down over the parking lot. They need to do something to make it look a little better though.

As for the coaster itself, I personally thought it was the second or third best coaster there. Yeah, it's not as forceful as Batman, but it still puts out some pretty good forces and gives a much longer ride.

However, I don't think inverts and floorless coasters give anywhere near the same ride experience. They are completely different. The zero-g rolls are just one example. They are absolutely nothing a like. Heck, for the most part, floorless coasters just like normal sit-down coasters unless you are in the front row.

the zero g roll on a floorless is very similar to an in-line twist on an invert. no im not bad mouthing floorless rides. i hear hydra and medusa west are actually pretty damn good, but scream is just a 3 minute bore-fest. i rode dominator when it was a guaqua lake, and it was a lot smmother than scream and had a turn after the first loop, which i thought was cool cause most all b&m's go into another inversion after the vertical loop, which kills the speed.

xlnt Photo TR

These points have been well covered in the official announcement thread for this ride. Initially I thought that your point 3 was the most effective (even more effective when you note that there is another Batman only 30 minutes away at Seaworld), but the more coasters I ride the more I start to respect Batman. I have a low coaster count, and was under the impression that Batman was the McDonalds of coasters, but after hitting Knotts and SFMM this week my opinions of changed. Batman was better than Silver Bullet and Scream, in my opinion, with Scream being very boring and Silver Bullet having a few good elements. Now in retrospect, I don't see it as that big of a deal to have Batmans at adjacent parks as it is a very good coaster and provides a good baseline for my coaster experiences.

-GG