Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:18 pm

I know where Zonga's new home is!!

http://www.feriadesanmarcos.gob.mx/isla.aspx

It's at the bottom of the page, and thanks to Six Flags Houston, a member translated the Spanish to English.

Emociónate al límite con la nueva atracción (New attration with high emotion extreme) extrema ¡Tsunami!, (Tsunami) única montaña rusa de cuatro rizos en México. ( the only rollercoaster in mexico with 4 loops)

-Tatum

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:46 pm

astroworldfan1 wrote:I know where Zonga's new home is!!

http://www.feriadesanmarcos.gob.mx/isla.aspx

It's at the bottom of the page, and thanks to Six Flags Houston, a member translated the Spanish to English.

Emociónate al límite con la nueva atracción (New attration with high emotion extreme) extrema ¡Tsunami!, (Tsunami) única montaña rusa de cuatro rizos en México. ( the only rollercoaster in mexico with 4 loops)

-Tatum

Has anyone ever been to this park? I wonder if the ride is operational.

What would be even better is if the new owner was knowledgeable enough to understand how Six Flags ruined the dynamics of this ride and restored Thriller's original first drop and first two loops the way Anton and Werner intended.

I can dream ... :omg:

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:13 pm

montezooma wrote:Huge fan here also!!!! and I love this ride! I am so glad to see it all refurbished and back on the market. Would love to see it here in the states but somehow I doubt it will be back on American Soil. Too wild for todays so called ride parks and I doubt an FEC could afford to maintain this. I'll start booking my flights to Mexi..

Hey, there's pleanty of room for it here.
boomers.jpg
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Postby SeaWhippet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:45 pm

I grew up visiting Virginia's Lakeside Park. Oddly enough, there was no lake. However, this sweet little traditional park had everything a kid could want: plenty of classic flats and a kick-ass woodie - Shooting Star.

The Shooting Star (Dont'cha just LOVE that name?!) was the John Allen/PTC design that inspired the SFSL Screamin' Eagle. Personally, I preferred the SS over the SE. It was just a little meaner. :evil: The ride was always well-maintained and always painted in what I considered (back then) to be proper woodie colors: red track,white structure, blue handrails.

Though I had already forsaken Virginia for South Florida, I was terribly saddened when Lakeside closed forever in 1986. This was a great park with a wonderful wooden coaster that should still be here. :(

Most of these images come from brochures and my own visits in the early 80s, while three were part of a spread I did when I was ACE News editor a hundred years ago. I think these were shot by Michael Horwood.

Somewhere I have Super-8 movies (POV!) of the ride. I'll post those if I can dig them out of the bottomless Closet.

Enjoy,

-Scott
:airtime:
LSLogo.jpg
LSS ANews cover.jpg
M. Horwood shot for ACE News cover
LS sign.jpg
One of coolest park signs ever!
L1.jpg
Park train and Shooting Star first drop
L2.jpg
Flats
L3.jpg
Flying Scooter!
Lss1.jpg
Incoming! Classic hand brakes.
LSS4.jpg
Baby got back ... but STILL couldn't release a train. Like CP's Blue Streak, SS was a true BOY ride.
LSS first drop.jpg
First drop. Airtime ahead!!!
LSS5.jpg
Back turn.
LSS5a.jpg
L 4444444.jpg
Flats and more ...
LSS two curves.jpg
"Shooting S _ar" final turn just before home brakes. I think the "H" fell off ...
(M. Horwood)
LSS 8x10.jpg
Approaching the first drop -- a little slice of heaven for a ten-year-old boy...

Postby SeaWhippet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:37 pm

DenDen wrote:
montezooma wrote:Huge fan here also!!!! and I love this ride! I am so glad to see it all refurbished and back on the market. Would love to see it here in the states but somehow I doubt it will be back on American Soil. Too wild for todays so called ride parks and I doubt an FEC could afford to maintain this. I'll start booking my flights to Mexi..

Hey, there's pleanty of room for it here.

D-

I think Boomers is the perfect place for the Wiener ( ;) ). I can just see it drawing the attention of drivers on 95.

At least you have the Hurricane to ride any day you wish. When I was based in FLL, the closest woodie was the Starliner in Panama City.

-S

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:32 pm

Scott-
I love the post on Lakeside. You really can see the similarities between the Shooting Star and the Screamin Eagle in that first picture. I really miss the days of the red, white and blue painted wood coasters.

PS- I think the Weiner Looping should go to Lagoon in Salt Lake City
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:13 am

montezooma wrote:Scott-
I love the post on Lakeside. You really can see the similarities between the Shooting Star and the Screamin Eagle in that first picture. I really miss the days of the red, white and blue painted wood coasters.

PS- I think the Weiner Looping should go to Lagoon in Salt Lake City

Oh yeah, Shane, the Shooting Star was very similar to the Eagle ... the footprint more so than the profile. The SS's airtime was abundant, especially on a hot summer night after a long day of hard running. I really miss this ride.

BTW, I agree that Lagoon would be a perfect fit for Wiener Looping. Every park should be so lucky to own three of Anton's treasures. ;)

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:42 am

SeaWhippet wrote:At least you have the Hurricane to ride any day you wish. When I was based in FLL, the closest woodie was the Starliner in Panama City.

-S

OK, here's the SAD and PATHETIC part of my life: I've been here for 7 years, and STILL haven't ridden it.
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:25 am

DenDen wrote:
SeaWhippet wrote:At least you have the Hurricane to ride any day you wish. When I was based in FLL, the closest woodie was the Starliner in Panama City.

-S

OK, here's the SAD and PATHETIC part of my life: I've been here for 7 years, and STILL haven't ridden it.

WHAT?! :shockr:

Ok, you have a mission: go there today and give it a spin, then post a pic of yourself in the train to prove you did it! ;)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:14 pm

^^That problem needs to be corrected immediately.

Great job with this blast from the past. A shame many of us didn't enjoy some these smaller parks when we were younger.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!