Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:43 pm

DenDen wrote:
SeaWhippet wrote:The Bat was an awesome ride. It could be downright scary if your first ride happened to be at night. I always tried to arrange such a treat for my virgin Bat friends :devil:

And yes, had they banked the track on the turns, the Bat might still be with us today. That was its main flaw. Did they learn nothing from AlpenFlug?

If I had a time machine ... :|

I think what everyone seems to fail to notice or mention is that non-banked track made that ride much wilder than its offspring. If the Bat was banked, it would surely still be here, but it wouldn't have been the same ride.

Because of the suspension systems on the cars (i.e. all those shocks) banking would force the cars to anticipate the turn, making it much more tame, which is what you have today.

I understand what you mean, Den, and you're right. If the track had been properly banked, it would not have been the same wild ride that it was. BUT ... it would still have been FAR more thrilling than XLR8 due to the fact that the Bat's downward grade was relatively steep and constant after chain release on both lifts. I feel it would be superior (thrill-wise) to KI's Top Gun if it had survived.

Furthermore, the final drop on BGE's BBWolf remains one of the single most intense segments on an operating coaster anywhere. That little speck of violence always reminds me of the Bat.

-S

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:43 pm

Wiener Looping is BACK! ... or it will be when someone buys this treasure. You're all getting a sneak preview of the advert (below) that will appear in AT's May issue. Wieland Schwarzkopf is offering the ride: "Completely rebuilt, New updated electronic controls & train."

I hope someone in North America snatches this gem as it's one incredible ride. It'll be even better if these "updated" trains utilize only the lap bar as Anton originally intended. I rode it at Circus World without those dreadful OTS accordions and it was a delightful experience. Not so much when I took a spin in 1989 at Oktoberfest ...

BTW ... Thriller found a home in Mexico. More on that wonderful news in a few days!

-S
WL ad.jpg
WLcircus2.jpg
At Circus World
w circus1.jpg
At Circus World
W4.jpg
At Circus World
MPatenburg.jpg
M.Patenburg
2MPatenburg.jpg
M.Patenburg

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:44 pm

Wow! I'm such an Anton fan! I hope this makes it in a U.S. park!
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:22 pm

I miss that ride!!! :cry:

Flamingoland taking it out made me very sad. But at least it'll now have another chance to thrill once again.

Now all we have to do is guess which Mexican park is buying it. :lmao:

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:21 pm

DenDen wrote:Wow! I'm such an Anton fan! I hope this makes it in a U.S. park!

Same here! With all Anton's coasters ending up in Mexico (who would've thought such a thing could happen?!), it would indeed be grand if Wiener Looping would come back to American soil.

This shuttle would fit so well on one of Morey's Piers or ... even Carowinds! That park was bloody robbed when White Lightnin' went to Africa. I can just see it: Wiener Lightnin' ! ;)

I'm just sayin'

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:32 pm

GREAT news. I've been reading loads about Anton Schwarzkopf and Wiener Looping looks like an amazing creation of his - I'd love to ride myself someday.

GREAT to hear about Thriller/Texas Tornado/Zonga too. I was so scared that might end up as scrap metal. TPR needs to plan a Mexican trip to ride all these Schwarzkopfs someday!

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 pm

Shockwave wrote:I miss that ride!!! :cry:

Flamingoland taking it out made me very sad. But at least it'll now have another chance to thrill once again.

Now all we have to do is guess which Mexican park is buying it. :lmao:

Well, I'm hoping it either returns to the German fair circuit, or finds a home somewhere at a park or an FEC in the US.

I really miss this incredible ride. :(

-S

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby noyzz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:13 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:Wiener Looping is BACK!

I hope someone in North America snatches this gem as it's one incredible ride. It'll be even better if these "updated" trains utilize only the lap bar as Anton originally intended. I rode it at Circus World without those dreadful OTS accordions and it was a delightful experience. Not so much when I took a spin in 1989 at Oktoberfest ...

I also rode it at Circus World!!!!! I loved that ride, scary as a kid but man once you rode it you were hooked!!!!!! Give it a nice home here!!!!!!in the us!!!!!
Rollercoaster Nutt 4 LiFe!
www.djvictoramato.com

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:58 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:
DenDen wrote:Wow! I'm such an Anton fan! I hope this makes it in a U.S. park!

Same here! With all Anton's coasters ending up in Mexico (who would've thought such a thing could happen?!), it would indeed be grand if Wiener Looping would come back to American soil.

Huge fan here also!!!! and I love this ride! I am so glad to see it all refurbished and back on the market. Would love to see it here in the states but somehow I doubt it will be back on American Soil. Too wild for todays so called ride parks and I doubt an FEC could afford to maintain this. I'll start booking my flights to Mexi..
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:05 pm

I always wanted to ride Wiener Looping. Too bad they can't put restraints like this on Revolution at SFMM. They would work fine and satisfy the requirement for them in Calfornia.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!