Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:30 pm

Can I post my Jazzland/SFNO stuff in this thread?

I like those uniforms! The Bobsleds look really fun!

-Tatum

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:35 pm

DenDen wrote:
SeaWhippet wrote:The Bat was an awesome ride. It could be downright scary if your first ride happened to be at night. I always tried to arrange such a treat for my virgin Bat friends :devil:

And yes, had they banked the track on the turns, the Bat might still be with us today. That was its main flaw. Did they learn nothing from AlpenFlug?

If I had a time machine ... :|

I think what everyone seems to fail to notice or mention is that non-banked track made that ride much wilder than its offspring. If the Bat was banked, it would surely still be here, but it wouldn't have been the same ride.

Because of the suspension systems on the cars (i.e. all those shocks) banking would force the cars to anticipate the turn, making it much more tame, which is what you have today.

The forces were so great on the Bat that the KI maint. crew had to replace those shocks quite often. I often imagine what might've happened had Arrow replaced that flat track with a few banked sections. Instead of Vortex we'd have something truly impressive: The Bat! :angry:

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:46 am

^ are you saying the Vortex is not impressive???
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

This whole thing is turning out to be a theatrical mockery

Postby Loopy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:04 am

I am surprised that Arrow even considered a corkscrew on the suspended coaster design.

The first thing I think of is what would happen in a stall scenario.

Doesn't seem plausible from the get-go.

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:07 pm

montezooma wrote:^ are you saying the Vortex is not impressive???

I didn't say Vortex wasn't impressive. OK, maybe I did, but... The ride just doesn't float my boat. Those corkscrews suspended in the air ... WTF? They could've inserted another good, deep drop right there ... but NO! Let's brake the train and then flip people over in the most uncomfortable manner possible. Boring. No thanks. Where's Bat II - The Revenge ?

I'm just sayin' ...

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 pm

^ i was being sarcastic. I would take the impressive bat over the Vortex any day. One of my favorite things of the Vortex is the station...and, Hello, that is the only thing left over from the Bat!

I think that the Bat II takes the form of Flight Deck. It wouldn't have surprised me that if Kings Island was not owned by Paramount at the time that Top Gun may have had a name that harkened back to the Bat somehow.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Right, and Carowinds' TG could've become The Bat instead of RugBurn. :x
rugburn.jpg

I Love Donkeys!

Postby kitsch transporter » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:15 am

Thanks so much for posting these rare Arrow pictures. I couldn´t believe my eyes that they really believed in the suspended corkscrew!

I am always torn between admiration and raising an eyebrow whith Arrow. They really had this can-do attitude and they must have been morally and financially depressed when so many of their ideas fell flat for various reasons.

Postby SeaWhippet » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:16 am

TWISTER

Although I prefer roller coasters above all other rides, there are a few flats that intrigue me. I'm not one for spinning rides, but for some reason, I CAN tolerate the Twister. Maybe it has something to do with the motion not being constant. Who knows ...?

My best Twister ride EVER was at the Iowa State Fair in the mid-90s. That operator was so devious that I actually thought I was going to get a nosebleed! It was that insane.

Sadly, these rides are becoming way too rare.

Not long ago, I did one of my Amusement Today Scrapbooks on the Twister. Along with photos submitted by Mark Rosensweig and others for the piece, I also got a nice stash from the Allan Herschell museum including the nice catalog pages. Though AH Co.invented the ride, Chance continued to produce them for a while after acquiring AH in 1971.

T1 twister catalog page 1.jpg
T2 twister catalog page 2.jpg
T3- AH Twister3.jpg
AH model with wooden flooring
T4 AH_1955_Twister.jpg
At the AH factory in 1955
AH_Twister_ClemontonLake.jpg
Clementon Lake Park 1950s
t6ChanceTwister.jpg
Australia & Williams Grove Park
t7 mark Rosensweig.jpg
M. Rosensweig
t8.jpg
M. Rosensweig
Last edited by SeaWhippet on Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:12 am.

Postby SeaWhippet » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:26 pm

montezooma wrote:Actually SFMM's Bobsleds ended up at SFoT.

SFGAd's Bobsleds went to SFGAm and then to Great Escape.

Opryland's went to a field in Indiana to rust

Cedar Points bobsleds are now a Disaster.

The only Intamin Bobsled still in it's original location is the one at De Eftling. (and I guess you could count Cedar Points too)

I don't HATE the Intamin bobsleds; I just wish they'd taken all their technology and created something a bit more entertaining. Mack was on the right track ...

-S

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!