Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:48 am

montezooma wrote:Is no one going to comment on that strange quote in the Marriott BIO article? It is a classic!

"...You wait hours and hours for that one wonderful minute..."

Well I have just one thing to say....A flume ride doesn't even come close, not even Splash Mountain.

I saw that too! :b Some of that stuff is priceless!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:38 am

All these posts about the Ocean View Rocket and the films shot there reminded me of another park that might've gotten some last-minute notoriety from such an endeavor -- Hanson's Park in Harvey's Lake, PA.

Check out the sixth paragraph of the 1981 story below. It talks about MGM considering a film that that would've included the destruction of the park's coaster. I wonder what film this was supposed to be ... ?

When I visited Hanson's in '81, it had been closed for a year. The coaster -- the L-shaped out & back Speed Hound -- built by Oscar Bitler in 1931 and reminded me of his quirky Cyclone at William's Grove. The ride looked interesting but it's another one that I climbed all over but never got to ride. I have a few others pics of the structure I'll have to dig out of the closet.

-S
h1.jpg
h2.jpg
Oh, Look! It's me in 1981 --- aboard yet ANOTHER coaster that closed forever before I got to ride it!

De onnodige vekoma pijn

Postby Captain Jack » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:31 pm

I just flipped through the entire thread, and have to say that I am truly amazed at the amount of coaster pictures, documentaries, video clips, magazine/newspaper articles, IAAPA booklets, and more that you've saved up over the years. Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us! It's nice to see pictures of coasters that no longer exist, especially the classic woodies. How many SBNO, soon-to-be-destroyed coasters did you get a chance to visit?

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:56 pm

Captain Jack wrote:I just flipped through the entire thread, and have to say that I am truly amazed at the amount of coaster pictures, documentaries, video clips, magazine/newspaper articles, IAAPA booklets, and more that you've saved up over the years. Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us! It's nice to see pictures of coasters that no longer exist, especially the classic woodies. How many SBNO, soon-to-be-destroyed coasters did you get a chance to visit?

Thanks! I'm just glad people here are enjoying what we (Shane, myself and a few others) have to share. I've found it disheartening that many of today's coaster/park enthusiasts care little for the amusement industry's history, opting instead for the next mega-hyper-whatever. But the response we've gotten over the Attic/Closet/Shoebox/etc. threads has been rather refreshing.

It's my hope that what we're doing here will inspire others to dig their into parents/grandparents' collections and pull out a few treasures that no one has seen for a long time! ;)

-S

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:06 pm

^ I can't believe the stuff I have seen and learned since these "attic, closet, shoebox and the Matterhorn" threads have started up.

I thought I had a lot of good stuff in my collection but I have seem some really great stuff that I have never seen or knew. Thanks everyone for adding comments, photos, or videos to these threads. Sharing your collections with other enthusiats is far better than letting the mice poo on them in shoeboxes!!!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:21 pm

Captain Jack wrote:How many SBNO, soon-to-be-destroyed coasters did you get a chance to visit?

Far too many to count or remember ... but I'll try:

Ocean View Rocket
Buckroe Beach Dips
Wildwood Screem Machine
West View Racing Whippet
West View Dips
West View Kiddie Coaster
Hanson's Speed Hound
Ponchartrain Beach Zephyr/Ragin' Cagin'
Chippewa Lake Big Dipper/Wild Mouse
Rocky Springs Wildcat
Dallas Fair Park Comet
CNE Flyer
Belmont Park Earthquake (but came back to ride it as Giant Dipper!)

I'm sure there are a few more but it's been a long week. I'll see what else is lurking in The Closet.

-S

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:38 pm

With all the recent chatter about Arrow's Pipeline, I thought this would be the perfect time to jump in with two other prototypes that never quite made it ...

In the late 1970's, Arrow Development began to experiment with two new products: the Flying Turns and the Looping Suspended Coaster. Here are rare images (shot by Gary Slade in 1980) of both rides at the Mountain View, CA factory.

The Turns had all kinds of issues such as trains that were difficult to control (note the roll bars). I know people who rode this beast ... and let's just say ... it was a WILD ride.

Triva: Six Flags actually contracted with Arrow to build FIVE (!) Turns rides ... starting at SFOT. When the prototype proved "difficult" ... they went with Intamin. So, imagine all the SF that had the Swiss ride COULD've had an Arrow Turns if things had worked out differently.

The Looping Suspended Coaster (note the corkscrew!!!) eventually became the Bat at Kings Island .. sans inversion. Unforturnately, Arrow learned nothing from the AlpenFlug disaster in Germany (1975) and elected NOT to bank the Bat's track, which led to its destruction. :cry:

Enjoy these refugees from The Island of Misfit Rides. ;)

-S
f1.jpg

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Arrow
f2.jpg
f3.jpg
f4.jpg
f5.jpg
f8.jpg

On the other side of the camera

Postby WillMontu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:42 pm

^ I knew they had built a working model of the corkscrew, but I can't believe they actually went and built a full scale "Looping Suspended Coaster"

The Flying Turns looks fairly insane and slightly dangerous

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby NewsPlusNotes » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:50 pm

Those pictures are awesome! I had never even heard that Arrow had messed around with a Flying Turns style ride.

There's something to be said for how cool it was to actually *build* little prototypes instead of just using computers.

Mike

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!