TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

^Yeah but the bummer with the B&M's (other than everything that DenDen mentioned) is the height requirement! Orlando tries to be such a family and kids destination yet they have so many 54'' rides!

I'd love to see a B&M flyer with a 48'' height requirement!

"I don't think you can use that argument, especially when Universal just down the street chose to go with a different company even though they have several B&Ms" (SharkTums)

True, maybe it's one of those great Zamperla flyers!

Seriously, yeah, my reasoning was a bit flawed. We'll see what they get---after all, it's only a year away...

Eric

Well, now that it's officially announced...

The plans I've seen for the ride show it's a B&M flyer with a splash pool like SheiKra where the flamingos used to be at the entrance to the park. The name they were looking at was "Mantaray" and themed after a stingray.

The queue aquarium will have stingrays swimming around you (Think "Sharks!")

Also, I know it's hard to believe... but from the renderings it was a launched coaster :-\ ... I know B&M doesn't do launches, but maybe they're gonna be like Universal and do it themselves.

^My thought is that since we know this is themed to rays in some type of way, we'll have some sort of safe, up close experience with the tank (though a little bit more time to see the animals than we had with Dolphin Plunge at Aquatica).

If the environment is directly based on Manta Rays, it will need a new "habitat" for the new animals, but if they stick with stingrays, then they could get rid of the Key West exhibit and use that space for something new as well.

I heard about different people getting surveyed about Manta several months ago, even being shown concept art of the attraction. A launch is possible with a B&M, it just isn't something the company likes to do for themselves. Universal needed an outside contractor for the launch mechanism on the Hulk if I remember correctly.

In my mind, I'm hoping for a Mummy-type experience with show scenes and a finale with some good coaster elements (inverted or not). I could be very off though, considering how vague the article was with details.

And while they are at it, how about building a HUGE BBQ restaurant like the one near Sheikra at BGA or the one past France at BGE. They were both built those to deal with the huge crowds near the coasters, and they are (in my opinion) the most efficient of the restaurants in the parks. Not to mention the deilicious beef brisket!!

In my mind, I'm hoping for a Mummy-type experience with show scenes and a finale with some good coaster elements (inverted or not). I could be very off though, considering how vague the article was with details.

It is going to have a "Mummy-type experience" during the ride. The beginning of the ride will take you through the aquarium with stingrays swimming beneath you and on the sides. The ride will also launch through the aquarium tunnel out into the open for the ride itself.

While traversing the track, there will be water elements (Think Maverick after the launch over the lagoon) including the splashdown like SheiKra and Griffon have.

I think it would be awesome to have a B&M Flyer in the environment that Atlantis Adventure has. (yes, the aqua trax) Seeing something partially inclosed, and a few parts outside that give a tase of what you're about to experiance. But on the inside, there's alot of high tech stuff as far as the effects go. There could be some close calls with going over the water, and wouldn't it be awesome to have a splash down where the coaster flips riders over onto their backs and goes into a Sheikra-type splash? Think Air + splash down. I think that would be awesome if it could work out, just a thought.

^OK, that cracked me up!

I'm still stuck on the whole "sea monster" idea that someone else mentioned. That would rock so hard. There are not enough attractions with sea monsters. It is a sadly under-represented amusement park ride genre. Hopefully SW will reverse this trend and build a ride with all sorts of tentacled things menacing the riders.

The above is probably why I'm not in charge of installing park attractions...

dt

^ But it is also the reason you SHOULD be.

You are flying along pretending to be a manta/sting ray and you get attacked by a seamonster, excitement ensues. It fits the whole "and then something goes wrong" scenario.

I hope this does end up being a B&M flyer, then almost all of B&Ms catalog (minus a standup coaster) would be in southern Florida. There is, however, a new Vekoma flying coaster protype that uses shorter flying trains and a compact design so anything is possible.

I hope this does end up being a B&M flyer, then almost all of B&Ms catalog (minus a standup coaster) would be in southern Florida.

IF BGT ends up getting the next B&M, I hope it's a hyper and not a standup. We already have enough coasters in the park with inversions.

I'm not sure what it will be. Whatever it is I sure can't wait to go to Sea World again. I've only been once & that was in 1995 I think. That is so awsome both Universal & Sea World are getting new coasters next year. I plan to go to Orlando close to the end of next year so both Space Mountain & Dueling Dragons will be open for sure & of course those new coasters I can't wait to go on.

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Aquatic environment and flying coaster. That just doesn't synergy in my book.

Theme it to a seagull and you have something! Or theme it to a penguin that magically learns how to fly. Jahan would love it!.

"He and other officials were reluctant to call the ride a roller coaster, though they said it would have roller coaster components"

So right now I doubt it is a B&M flying coaster. So I dunno what to think, it is a neat idea and I hope it is a flying coaster from B&M, and I hope it is not a Vekoma. Who knows

^^Picture a Manta Ray Larry. The ride is themed around gliding through the Ocean as a Ray.

Like the scene from the Nemo rides where you're going through the current 'flying'.

I hear you but it is a stretch. A penguin with magical flying powers would just make more sense. I hear they are becoming more common nowadays.