Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby ttd rox » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:22 pm

^^The coaster actually looks fun, that's if it still existed. Thanks for the pics!

http://www.CoasterWarriors.com Theme park, roller coaster, flat ride, and more databases with forums!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:34 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^ The model looks interesting.

Has this been shown or offered as a coaster design suggestion to any current company that designs &/or builds them?

Or is it one with design flaws?

Just curious.

Although over-built, the model does look interesting. I expect the actual ride would've been quite spectacular. Too bad they never got the chance to execute it ... :(

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:54 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:Although over-built, the model does look interesting. I expect the actual ride would've been quite spectacular. Too bad they never got the chance to execute it ... :(

You know what would be awesome? If Kennywood got a hold of this design, and finally built it. What a massively historic project this would be for the locals. Many in the city knew of this "planned coaster" but have never seen it. This is the first time I have seen this model, and it does look spectacular! My question is where the heck were they going to put it, West View was pretty land-locked, and was partially to blame for not being able to keep up with Kennywood. (The Log Jammer @ KW really killed West Views attendance numbers.)

You've made my month seeing all this stuff from my old home town. I can't wait to show my family those images!
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Postby SeaWhippet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:48 am

DenDen wrote:
You know what would be awesome? If Kennywood got a hold of this design, and finally built it. What a massively historic project this would be for the locals. Many in the city knew of this "planned coaster" but have never seen it. This is the first time I have seen this model, and it does look spectacular! My question is where the heck were they going to put it, West View was pretty land-locked, and was partially to blame for not being able to keep up with Kennywood. (The Log Jammer @ KW really killed West Views attendance numbers.)

You've made my month seeing all this stuff from my old home town. I can't wait to show my family those images!

I thought about the space issue too. I can think of nowhere in West View where it would've fit ... unless maybe they built it over top of Kiddie Dips, perpendicular to the Whippet's lift. What was further up the valley PAST the Whippet? It was just forest when I was there but maybe it had just gotten overgrown. Maybe there?

I agree it would be sweet if Kennywood built this ride. They could put it down there on the undeveloped railroad property by the river.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. I'd be curious if your relatives knew of any mention of this proposed coaster in the newspapers back then ...

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:49 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:I thought about the space issue too. I can think of nowhere in West View where it would've fit ... unless maybe they built it over top of Kiddie Dips, perpendicular to the Whippet's lift. What was further up the valley PAST the Whippet? It was just forest when I was there but maybe it had just gotten overgrown. Maybe there?

I agree it would be sweet if Kennywood built this ride. They could put it down there on the undeveloped railroad property by the river.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. I'd be curious if your relatives knew of any mention of this proposed coaster in the newspapers back then ...

They knew, I asked them today. People in Pittsburgh were mixed as to which park they liked best. (Depending on which park they went to as a kid more often.) My dad liked West View better, and the pictures just killed him LOL

Postby SeaWhippet » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:36 pm

DenDen wrote:
SeaWhippet wrote:I thought about the space issue too. I can think of nowhere in West View where it would've fit ... unless maybe they built it over top of Kiddie Dips, perpendicular to the Whippet's lift. What was further up the valley PAST the Whippet? It was just forest when I was there but maybe it had just gotten overgrown. Maybe there?

They knew, I asked them today. People in Pittsburgh were mixed as to which park they liked best. (Depending on which park they went to as a kid more often.) My dad liked West View better, and the pictures just killed him LOL

Did you ever go to White Swan Park? When I lived in PIT, the last year WSP was open, I got a chance to ride the Monster Mouse before it was destroyed so the new airport could be built.

Hey, you should ask your folks if they remember National Park. It had a killer John Miller ravine woodie that reminded me of KWood's TBolt -- it was a bit more fierce. I've only seen seen two pics of this amazing ride. I'd love to talk to someone who actually rode it ...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:29 pm

I live in Pittsburgh and my parents have always talked about this park. Great to finally see pictures of it!

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:45 pm

SeaWhippet wrote:Did you ever go to White Swan Park? When I lived in PIT, the last year WSP was open, I got a chance to ride the Monster Mouse before it was destroyed so the new airport could be built.

Hey, you should ask your folks if they remember National Park. It had a killer John Miller ravine woodie that reminded me of KWood's TBolt -- it was a bit more fierce. I've only seen seen two pics of this amazing ride. I'd love to talk to someone who actually rode it ...

I went to White Swan a couple of times with friends, since my parents never wanted to go there. Galaxy was actually my first "steel" coaster. (Which I believe is still in operation today at another park!) The park itself was closed for highway expansion, not the actual building of the airport. (Part of the expansion was to include the country's first Mag-Lev, which the city is STILL bickering over. ) But funny, a hotel sits now where the park actually was. The new highway only took the surrounding areas that WS owned. (ie. parking) Finding history about the permanent carnival (as we called it) is quite difficult. I couldn't even tell you when the place opened.

My mom has heard of National Park, but nobody she knows of has been there. She was mainly a Kennywood Family, while my dad's side was a West View Family.

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:55 pm

Ok, this is a random mini-update (another will follow soon). I closed my eyes, reached into the Closet and this is what I came up with. Old mag articles from the 70s and park brochures from the 80s.They’re in no particular order but there are some cool visuals. I’ll comment on the individual pages.

Enjoy
-Scott

P.S. Just added the final three sections of the Circus World brochure (Happy, Shane?! ;) )
t1.jpg
Time magazine 1977
t2.jpg
Time magazine 1977
t3.jpg
Arrow's original Corkscrew (Knott's) & their Shuttle Loop prototype
t4.jpg
Pleasure Beach Great Yarmouth
t5.jpg
Check out the UFO!
t6.jpg
t7.jpg
Weiner Looping with ONLY lap bars!
cw0.jpg
cw1.jpg
cw2.jpg

Postby SeaWhippet » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:17 pm

This one's for fans of classic defunct woodies. The Rocky Springs Wildcat is yet ANOTHER brilliant coaster that I climbed all over and did NOT get to ride. Once I found out about it, the Wildcat had been SBNO for 20 years.

It was an amazing design and quite compact. The most astounding feature for me was the abrupt break-over of the STEEP first drop and the 500-foot-long tunnel from station to lift. The latter must've been wonderful as it was all downhill and NOT straight, but full of quirky jogs, bumps and twists. I have pics of it somewhere ... still looking.

Too bad this brilliant Schmeck/PTC design could not have been saved and reopened.

Enjoy,

-S
rswc sign.jpg
Rbrochure.jpg
r1.jpg
r5.jpg
One 4-bench car was upside-down in the station to prevent anyone from releasing a train into the tunnel.
r2.jpg
r3.jpg
Me (left) and my friend Kevin (Knoebels Jetstar operator at the time) at the crest of the Wildcat's lift. An intense climb!
r7.jpg
Second drop pull-out
r8.jpg
First drop pull-out
r9.jpg
First drop.
r10.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!