The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

P. 73 - Adirondack Outlaw Announced for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby KGA29 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:38 pm

It's good that they're getting at least something. Hopefully in the next few years, a new coaster is coming their way. This is the year of strange SF names: Evil Knievel, The Dark Knight, Goliath (on a B:TR), Wild Wedgie. Huh?

Site Admin

Nearly 400 Sick After Visit to Great Escape Lodge

Postby SharkTums » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:18 am

About 400 Sick After Water Park Visit
AP
Posted: 2008-03-26 10:51:21

QUEENSBURY, N.Y. (March 26) - The number of people reporting illnesses after an outbreak of norovirus at an indoor water park in upstate New York is approaching 400.

State health officials say 388 cases have been reported by people who visited the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge and Indoor Water Park earlier this month.

Health officials say two people were hospitalized and both have been released.

Norovirus is characterized by acute gastrointestinal pain, vomiting and diarrhea lasting one or two days. The illness is not considered dangerous to the general public.

Four of the people infected and their families have filed a lawsuit against the water park, which is about 50 miles north of Albany, the state capital.

A Great Escape spokeswoman declined to comment, saying she couldn't speak about pending litigation.

Reality Check - Norovirus is EVERYWHERE...it sucks, but isn't too bad! Robb got it on one of our cruises, schools are always getting it, etc. I can't believe that they're suing Six Flags over this! Oh wait, yes, I can believe it, I just hate it! Find the nasty sick people that pooped in the water or didn't bother washing their hands and sue them!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:28 am

Oh well, outbreaks like this happen, and while I feel sorry for those who got sick, I don't think it is enough to sue over. I could see them wanting Six Flags to pay any medical expenses, but this is not anything that should result in a lawsuit. Maybe people should do what Elissa said and practice better hygiene...

or maybe SF should put these signs up:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:35 am

I would be shocked if there was any grounds for a lawsuit unless there was something wrong with the sanitation equipment and Six Flags still opened the park knowing this. That being said, i am surprised that it can spread in this way.

I got the norovirus on a cruise I went on too. It was great, I ate everything in sight and STILL lost weight.

AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:55 am

A really low blow for Six Flags publicity-wise, didn't Atlanta's Whitewater had a major Norovirus or E. Coli outbreak that hurt the park's reputation?

I certainly hope the same doesn't happen to TGE. And yet again, proof that America is a sue-happy nation.
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 am

^There's a HUGE difference between Norovirus and E. Coli. E. Coli is life threatening for several demographics of the population and MUCH more serious. Norovirus is like getting the 24 Hour Stomach Flu.

And yes, I'm sure this will hurt them a bit, but not too terrible...Everyone still cruises and every week there's some major news story about hundreds getting sick on a ship!

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Hikaru-chan » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:44 pm

^ Yeah some kid went in one of the kiddie pools or the wave pool ( ugh, the thought of something floating up to you in the water), I remember it being on the news and every thing. One of the most stupid things people can sue over, but all six flags need to do is show the sign at the front of the park and maybe the ph levels for the day. Though I would think any sane minded judge will throw the case out/dismiss it, or something.

What is this, Joisey?

Postby Swimace » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:41 pm

I just have to play devil's advocate for a second, although I agree that the lawsuits are pretty stupid.

I've worked the City of Gainesville's aquatic facilities for three years, and that include three pools, all of which have diving boards and two of which have water slides. If so many people contracted the virus then the Ph levels probably weren't high enough. At our pools we check the chemical levels in our pools every hour, and if they are outside of a certain level we have to close. If someone gets sick or deficates in the pool we have to close and do a "backwash" which (in a nutshell) involves draining the pumps, climbing down in them and cleaning all of the filters, and having all of the water circulate through the pumps before we can reopen (on newer pumps it's a lot easier, I would guess that they wouldn't have to manually backwash there, but instead just push some buttons). It's a pretty lengthy process which usually causes a pool to remain closed for a good portion of the day. I really can't believe that the Ph levels were where they were supposed to be OR someone might have gotten sick in the pool and nobody noticed and took the proper steps to keep it from spreading.

As for the SFOG incident that happened a long time ago, if I recall correctly it involved someone pooping in a kids area. In that case it really was negligent that the proper steps weren't taken to keep it from spreading, but I was a kid at the time so I don't really remember the details.

Banned

Postby RIP Psyclone » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:48 pm

This is a reason I don't do waterparks. When you think about it, there's no two ways to it--it's disgusting! You're in a cesspool of perspiration, urine, and worse, from hundreds, thousands of people.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:52 pm

^^I see your point, but I worked at Hurricane Harbor and as soon as someone 'did something' in a pool, yes we immediately closed it and did the filtration thing which took a while.

Those indoor waterparks have quite the nooks and crannys so something might not have been noticed, they also have to be more careful with chemical levels since the indoor nature of the park can cause bad air.

Also, let's not entirely blame this on a child. On the cruise ships it's old people and adults spreading it around! Children and parents are used to washing hands and bodies better!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!