TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake in the 80's-90's

montezooma

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics everyone! It sure brings back a lot of great memories. I still have to say The Wave was probably one of the best wave pools I've ever been to. The size of that pool was so huge....and waiting for that one wave seemed like it took forever. But when it came, total chaos!

Anyway, I was digging through some of my things when I remebered I had kept this ad that was in one of the Ohio travel magazines from the 80's. I've always loved the stylized look of this piece, kind of combining the old with the new. Enjoy!

1675361345_GLADLR.jpg.65a9ab6e9d3c5166502423e2e818b59e.jpg

These are some good pictures. I remember coming down from Buffalo to visit GL and Sea World when I was a kid. Are you going to cover the other side of the lake as well?

To those who say "the park was better before 'Six Flags' took over" should know that Premier acquired the three Fun Time parks and then bought the Six Flags chain from Time Warner- so it was the same people who ran the park from the early 90's to 2000 as the time when it was "ruined" the first time.

• 4 months later...
I know that in the early years of Knott's Corkscrew they frequently ran two trains. Opryland also ran two trains at the same time. Those are the only two I ever saw running a two train operation.

Yes, Opryland did run two trains on Wabash Cannonball - probably 80% of the time. And what was interesting to me is that the Standard Operating Procedure (for W.C.) was to stop one train at the top of the lift to buy enough time to get the other train unloaded and loaded again, rather than stacking. Sitting at the top of the lift gave some pretty great views of the State Fair area - sigh.

• 10 months later...

This is AWESOME!! I LOVE THEse Old pics!! I grew up not too far from Geauga lake and have TONS of fond memories from it....In particular I am looking for a picture from the WAVE sign..it was a big wave with mean eyes and wave-like hands from what I can remember...anyone have any pics of it from back in the day??

I went to Geauga Lake at least three times in my life. One of them was in 1988. As a matter of fact, we still kept the park map from that year around the house for a number of years.

Geauga may not have been the biggest, or even the most popular of the Ohio parks, but it still had something intangible about it. Something that just made me look back on it and smile.

It's too bad it had to close down, but I'm still happy I got to see the place while it existed.