Photo TR: BGE's Passholder Preview Day

Here's what you East Coast trippers can expect
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Photo TR: BGE's Passholder Preview Day

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:52 pm

Well, it's March, a Sunday, temperatures are in the 40s, and it's raining, which can mean only one thing: time for Euroburg's Passholder Preview Day! Yes, I can't remember a preview day when it wasn't cold and damp (hell, it snowed a bit last year).

But tradition is tradition, so off I went, and it turned out to be plenty of fun, with a moderate crowd and just two glitches: 1) the Big Bad Wolf kept breaking down, possibly because it was off its medication, and 2) DarKastle went a bit out of sync, which happens to the best of us from time to time.

So, I thought I'd whet the appetite of you East Coast trippers a bit--here's a look at Euroburg on Sunday, March 16, 2008.
01.jpg
Let's see--TPR hoodie over long-sleeved shirt, water-repellent jacket? Check, ready to roll.
02.jpg
Hey, looks like my neighbors Chico and Irma are here.
03.jpg
Yep--there's Chico. You guys might bump into Chico at BGE. But I can't promise that.
04.jpg
So, what's new at BGE this season? Well, Guest Relations is now over there.
05.jpg
And there's the new garden shop! Maybe you guys will get garden-shop ERT! (BTW, the woman in gray is Irma.)
06.jpg
Just think! The whole shop to yourselves, where you can check out fancy birdhouses . . .
07.jpg
. . . or play with these adorable little signs! Yes, garden-shop ERT would, indeed, rock.
08.jpg
What? Too cool for that? Well, maybe you can play with this dog.
09.jpg
Or you could listen to the singers in Killearney as they perform their wee hearts out for ye.
10.jpg
You could toss a stray relative to these hungry wolves.
10a.jpg
I know! Barbeque ERT! Perfect! You can cook for thousands of people!
10b.jpg
How about some polka ERT? No?
11.jpg
Well, I guess you could go and ride stuff. . .
11a.jpg
. . . after you pay due respect to Huge Hummel Boy . . .
12.jpg
. . . and eat a nutritious lunch.
13.jpg
As long as you don't get all beered up and start a brawl.
14.jpg
"General Lee will not tolerate any brawling in this park, suh." And being as this is Virginia, we all must do what General Lee says. More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:13 pm

More from Passholder Preview Day, which is in no way to be confused with Passover.
15.jpg
OK, I've toyed with you long enough. Here's what you came to see.
16.jpg
Wait for it!
17.jpg
OK, off you go!
18.jpg
Up and over, around and down . . .
19.jpg
. . . and kersploosh! (Note the intrepid kid on the left on this chilly day.)
20.jpg
Not much of a line for Alpengeist yet.
21.jpg
Those of you with "unusual body proportions" might want to note this sign. Just a suggestion.
22.jpg
Alpie was fine, but it seemed a bit more "out of control" last season.
23.jpg
That's inversion number 2, which in no way is meant to imply any other sort of "number 2."
24.jpg
A brief "brake," then . . .
25.jpg
. . . Alpie flips you off.
26.jpg
But what about water rides on this chilly day, you may ask. Well, there were some brave souls on LeScoot.
27.jpg
How about the "testicular fortitude" displayed by this young man on Escape from Pompeii?
28.jpg
But these Roman Rapids runners may be the gutsiest of them all. And what about all those permits BGE applied for that are causing so much speculation? Well, I can tell you, without fear of contradiction that . . .
29.jpg
. . . absolutely nothing is happening at the moment.
30.jpg
Here's a bit of park trivia for you. The Catapault used to be indoors where Castle O'Sullivan is now, when Killearney was still "Hastings." They used to project pictures of the Battle of Hastings on the walls as you spun around. One more batch of photos to come.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Will_Holder » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Chuck is right, Pass Preview Day is always a cold, damp affair and we wouldn't have it any other way. Today was a good day though I think. Didn't get to ride the Wolf because of said breakdowns and yeah DarKastle was being weird on us, but it's all good.

I do however want to share a special moment I witnessed between two strangers at the park entrance. I got to the park so early that I was probably one of the first 20 people to walk through the gates. While Clink Novak and the rest of my party were processing their passes, I had chosen to be a loser and enter alone.

Right as I entered, there was this couple getting their picture taken by the fountain at the entrance. Right after the employee snapped the picture, the guy drops down to one knee and pulls out that magical ring box. You know what came next. She said "YES" and they both hugged and cried....and a total of 3 employees and myself clapped in celebration.

The guy was really embarrassed/nervous/happy. But on top of everything else, I don't know if he appreciated my fast acting camera skills as I captured this moment.
proposal.JPG
"Honey! Nothing could be more perfect than a cold, wet, cloudy Season Pass Preview Day at Busch Gardens Europe! Will You Marry Me?"
Will Holder - Co-Host of "In The Loop"
El Toro makes my ass come out of the seat.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:22 pm

Nice pictures, cool to see all the water rides are open. There is a slight chance I might go to the park next week and we are probably going to at least try LeScoot and maybe Roman Rapids (with ponchos of course)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Always great to see another season begin at BGE. Thanks for the great TR, Chuck. But I'm also sad because this will be the first time in about five years that I don't have BGE on my trip list. :(

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Well, this will finish off this TR. Really.
31.jpg
This is an unusual picture of the Big Bad Wolf today because there are actually people in the trains. They were cycling empty ones most of the day. It broke down again about ten minutes after I took this one.
32.jpg
Well, East Coast trippers, they should have BBW sorted out by August. But if not you can always go shopping for your very own wolf hat . . .
33.jpg
. . . or not.
34.jpg
There's always DarKastle.
35.jpg
People used to stand watch the preshow video, once upon a time. Now they just file past it. Sigh . . .
35a.jpg
And there's always Apollo's Chariot. Here we see the initial plunge toward "Lake Fabio" from the Rhine River Cruise.
36.jpg
One hump from two angles. Angle 1 . . .
36a.jpg
. . . and Angle 2.
37.jpg
Apollo terrorizes the Roman Rapids.
38.jpg
Remember to smile for the camera here.
39.jpg
And finally, the Loch Ness Monster, where all this "ERT" business began--at least according to this plaque.
40.jpg
Yeah, Nessie isn't the tallest or the fastest . . .
41.jpg
. . . and she can be a bit rough from time to time . . .
42.jpg
. . . but she's still one of the most photogenic coasters around. Thanks for reading.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Great report, Chuck! Fantastic pictures!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby timberskara » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:42 pm

Great TR, Chuck! It just wouldn't be right without it being cold and rainy. Heck, I dare say I love hoodie and layers park weather!

Will_Holder wrote:But on top of everything else, I don't know if he appreciated my fast acting camera skills as I captured this moment.

I should sure hope he would appreciate it! I love how the park photo person is just standing there...how is she not taking a (million) shot(s) of it? That would be a 100% sale if I ever saw one. Thanks for sharing..even if it was a crappy day, you can't beat the reaction and that moment you captured. :sniff:

Resident MINI Enthusiast

Postby ElToroExtreme » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:43 pm

great trip report dude!!!

TPR's Movie Freak

Postby knottslover77 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:45 pm

looks great, I can't wait for my trip there this summer...if I get the grades.

--Jay
I Love Brent <3, GhostRider is my #1 Coaster
total coasters:74

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive