TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: It Came From Wes's Closet

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seeing this makes me feel cool! All I have is 2 on-ride pictures, some DVDs/Books, and a box of brochures.

And the reason you weren't getting any wasn't because of the Alpie poster...

Hi all

DBru, what coaster/park books and DVDs do you have? Anything interesting? I hold my hands up, I feel like a complete nerd with my collection.

Simon (UK)

Wow someday I've got to venture into my "nerd" box. I know it's sitting in my closet (I tell them every time I'm there I plan to take it, but in all honesty, I plan to let it stay there) at my parents house. Anyway inside you'll find all the best, recorded discovery channel shows, dozens of coaster shirts, including a Windjammer shirt! My personal favorite, a land marker from X construction, as well as a complete set of blue-prints for the coaster. Along with all that are dozens of press kits, and even a catalog from Vekoma (no clue why I got that). I also have a bunch of coaster magazine from Vekoma laying around in there, they used to actually send out a quarterly magazine with a bunch of company news. Never was quite sure how I got myself on that mailing list, but it made for an impressive array for nerdy coaster junk.

Wes, so you don't currently consider yourself 'obsessed' about Theme Parks Etc?

You liked Theme Parks as a teen, you currently work for a Theme Park company, have a large collection of Theme Park memorabilia, you travel around the globe with Robb + Elissa, and often spend more time moderating TPR than the Alveys themselves!

Sounds a little bit obsessive to me.

Oh, these are priceless! The 'Steel Eel' t-shirt is the funniest thing that I have ever seen! When I first heard that name, I thought it was the most beautifully stupid name for a coaster that I had ever witnessed!

It seems like Cedar Fair are coming around in that department, but they just need a little more time...perhaps a few more cross-functional team meetings for coaster name reviews? Or perhaps maybe even a Six-Sigma project for "cool" coaster names?? Gee, can you tell I work in a corporate manufacturing environment?

Thanks for the laughs, Wes. It helps when you are home sick with the flu bug and can read some incredibly funny stuff to bring you back to the world of the living.

PS - Who has one of those retro Canada's Wonderland painter's hats that have the two flaps coming down the back?? I do, I do!! I will have to see if I can find it at my Dad's and snap a pic. It ranks right up there with the DD cap for overall nerdiness!

Wes, so you don't currently consider yourself 'obsessed' about Theme Parks Etc?

You liked Theme Parks as a teen, you currently work for a Theme Park company, have a large collection of Theme Park memorabilia, you travel around the globe with Robb + Elissa, and often spend more time moderating TPR than the Alveys themselves!

Sounds a little bit obsessive to me.

Damn, foiled again! Oh well...I'm off to Knott's to try to scrape paint chips off Pony Express's construction wall.

As long as we are humiliating ourselves with past coaster nerdiness, I found some pics of me in my kick-ass Canada's Wonderland painter's caps circa 1984!

Can't believe that I am doing this, but here are the pics!

232.jpg.b6d01d52e98d90901aa8f2d7eed1e165.jpg

Scott and I getting ready to tear it up on Dragon Fire. Actually, I wussed out in line! Me in my bad ass Iron Maiden jersey and coke bottle PhotoGray glasses!

070.jpg.3b20b3981487f1871f9f16bfe1241dfb.jpg

Me on left, best friend in middle looking impressed, and my Mom (RIP) on right. Note short shorts on guy on far right. God, I miss the eighties!

069.jpg.9367e31d2f5ea1d474814cc124c20c8d.jpg

Me on right sportin' the new CW cap with my Dad on left. Now I can honestly understand why I was a virgin till I was 22!

Being obsessed with anything is stupid. Hobby, video game, job, significant other, whatever. I'm not saying you shouldn't love whatever it may be, but obsessing about it is an unhealthy way to live.

I think it may be an age thing, I see quite a few teens (12-18) who I would put in the obsessed catagory. Things change when you get older and into the real world (ie: not living off your parents), priorities tend to shift around quite a bit. I don't think it was a BAD thing coasters were my main hobby, especially since it was just a phase of my young life. If I was still the same way at 25 now, then it would be a bit more troubling.

Ah, very true. Once you get to a certain point in liking/loving something can it be creepy or over the top. And yes, when it does come to the real world; coasters and theme parks can't be number one. I'm kind of glad there's a big off season here because I'd be so tempted to go to a park rather than school work!

But yeah, still addicted or obsessed when over the age of 16-18 can be troubling.

-J "Work now, play later." Z

^ The last cave drawing I posed for was in beautiful downtown North Hollywood. They've since bulldozed that place and put in a Starbucks because the next closest one was over a quarter mile away!

Sorry...

Eric

And the reason you weren't getting any wasn't because of the Alpie poster...

Yeah, but once I branched out, I started to even with the Alpengeist and CCI posters still up. Better hurry up, you only got four years until the world ends to score dood!!!

Hey, the way things are today I wouldn't need that much time...

DBru wrote:

Seeing this makes me feel cool! All I have is 2 on-ride pictures, some DVDs/Books, and a box of brochures.

And the reason you weren't getting any wasn't because of the Alpie poster... Taiko Laughing

Hi all

DBru, what coaster/park books and DVDs do you have? Anything interesting? I hold my hands up, I feel like a complete nerd with my collection.

I have those Front Seat Thrill DVDs, and a Thrill Seekers Guide to the Ultimate Thrill Machines book (and maybe a few more somewhere...). They are pretty cool, actually. The FST's DVD's are pretty much about 25 POV's playing one after another. I like 'em...

That was fun. I wonder what Walt Mabillard's autograph would be worth on Ebay?

I have lots of park/coaster stuff too. My favorites are postcards, books, and park maps. I also have a Maverick shot glass sitting by my 'puter. It really livens the place up.