TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

West Coast Bash 2008 - The Official Thread!

I just don't get it. There's this entire event with so much time before for so many questions and comments and the bathroom problem seems to be the biggest subject of concentration. And that's fine, I guess. But I can't remember the last time I walked into a bathroom and its quality ruined my entire day, whether I was at a park or not.

And Magic Mountain bathrooms, although they're not like high class restaurant bathrooms, they do the job. I'm sorry if you have to "use your hands" to flush the toilet or turn the water on, sheesh.

I agree, and a tip would be to use your feet for toilet flushes and a paper towel to turn the faucet on and off.

Anybody have a quarter? I heard the price of candy went up.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For what it's worth, I personally didn't have any particularly negative experience in any restrooms that I used, nor did anyone in our group make a comment to me about the restrooms one way or the other. Maybe I was just lucky and hit the restroom right after it had been gone over by the custodial staff?

I felt a little tension in the room when a few different questions were asked,

I think this might be where I went wrong when I made my bathroom comment. I never sensed any tension at all in the room when I asked that question. I felt that my comment was answered extremely professionally, all the while looking my directly in the eye which I consider to be a sign of true sincerity.

As for flushing the toilet with my hand, I will respond one more time and then leave it there. I know the foot trick all to well. My concern was more with what the perception of the average mom or dad might be. I think that for the good of the park this is a genuine concern. The family needs to be the target audience for these incredible improvements to go forward. I do fear that all these improvements will be negated by a lack of response from the family market. I feel better now knowing that there is a plan in place to address my concerns.

Al

^ In the Cool Zone near Colossus, there were two M&Ms machines. Neither one worked (for me, anyway, so I should have complained during the Q&A ), but one was priced at $1.50, and the other at $1.75. Odd, but that's how it was.

Eric

To Everyone Who went to WCB -

I had an amazing time with all of you, and Didnt really get to say goodbye! But everything was amazing, the people, the food, SFMM, The Tours etc etc. I was very impressed! So thanks again, to all of you and SFMM!

-Ryan

My expectations were totally blown out of the water at West Coast Bash.

It was so great to see that Magic Mountain is heading in the right direction. I used to make at least one trip to SFMM every year but due to poor experiences on my last couple of visits I had not been to the park in about four years.

Tatsu was amazing. I get severe headaches on many coasters, but I could have ridden Tatsu all day. I wish I could have stayed for the night ERT, but I had a long drive and little sleep. Next year I'll plan ahead.

The SFMM management team really rolled out the red carpet. It was easy to see that the outlook of the park is much brighter.

Highlights of the day:

Tatsu

The Magic on the Mountain Museum

The commercials--especially the Lion one and Ken & Barbie.

Seeing Jay tell security to kick a group of people that were being offensive out of the park.

The cleanliness of the park (still a lot of room for improvement on the maintenance side, but that will necessarily take more time to fix).

My perception of the park is dramatically changed and I can't wait to bring my kids to the park this year.

Thanks to Robb and the others for organizing the event and thanks to the management team and staff for making the day so special.

The Magic is back at Magic Mountain!

Wow..I had a simply amazing time. I can't express enough thanks for this day. I did so much riding from Saturday evening and Sunday my body said..what the hell??!! On my flight back to Dallas I don't think I moved a muscle cuz they hurt to bad!! I enjoyed everything about the trip. It is so great being with people who can truly share your passions for roller coasters. I look forward to hopefully taking a TPR trip in the future.

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everybody involved for the planning of this event. Robb, Elissa, the Godseys, Jay, Tim, Neil. You all did a wonderful job. I would especially like to thank all the employees of Magic Mountain for exceeding my expectations. Huge props to our tour guide Mike for accommodating our entire group. He did an awesome job keeping our group informed, entertained, and on time for our rotations.

Congratulations to all who made this the best day I have had at Magic Mountain since I rode The Great American Revolution back in 76.

You all rock hard!

Just thought I'd chime in real quick, but we've heard it all before...

1) Great seeing everybody from past TPR trips, it looks like everyone was having a fabulous time.

2) I too hadn't been to SFMM in over 3 years, not even to ride Tatsu. It's wonderful the changes being made and will continue to be made over the next 5 years. I look forward to them. Congrats to everyone at SFMM for the turnaround. And Thank You. It's great to be part of the solution and not the problem.

3) Night time ERT on Everything. ,...'? Seriously, I was going to head home after the presentation and visiting the museum as I was exhausted. But the little kid kicked in. I only lasted an hour, but I got 6 great rides in. And I talked Shane into 5 of them. It SUCKS getting old.

Of course, if we had been given a beer, I probably would have made it til the end. Thanks for a great event.

Our thanks to all of you for visiting us last Sunday! We all had a great time sharing with you the new Six Flags Magic Mountain. I hope you all believe in what we are doing at the park, and I hope you know that we are not finished. This is a work in progress. We have days when we really get it right and days when we learn how to improve. Just know that we will keep working and keep raising our own standards. We hear you clearly on restrooms and we agree with you. Last Sunday during your tours I attended a training class of new Operations Team Members. In the class were several new Park Services Team Members who are going to help us with restroom cleanliness. We will work hard to keep our restrooms clean, and we will continue to work on our long range restroom plan. Also I thought I would share with you that we have replaced the candy machine that gave us trouble on Sunday.

During your visits to our park this year I hope you will take the time to stop by Guest Relations and tell us how we are doing. Feel free to ask for me specifically. We value and very much appreciate your comments.

It really is a new day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. This is real and not just a show. We are there each and every day working to make every guest experience spectacular.

Thank you all for visiting. We look forward to seeing you in the park!

Sincerely,

Neal Thurman

Director of Park Operations

Six Flags Magic Mountain & Hurricane Harbor

Thank you Neal! One cool thing about this new management is you actually take time to come and post on our baords and tell us how you feel about stuff. It really does put you guys a head higher than the rest. I'm really excited for the changes I've already seen and the ones that are coming to Magic Mountain. Next time I'm at the park, I'll be sure to stop by and tell you how good our day was!

---Brent

The event sounds like it was great, and the management at Magic Mountain is really stepping up.

How can we make the same thing happen at other Six Flags parks, such as Discovery Kingdom? As my home park, it would be great to be as proud of the park as people now seem to be about Magic Mountain.

The commitment level seems high at Magic Mountain, is it the same for the other parks?

How can we make the same thing happen at other Six Flags parks, such as Discovery Kingdom?

Find a potential President, GM, Head of Op's and the rest who care as much as Jay, Tim, & Neal do, and hire them.

But I wouldn't worry about SFDK that much. That park has undergone a lot of improvements as well & looks much better than it did, say, 3 years ago.

-- PMM

Just seeing the parks presence here really gives me hope for the future. It really shows that they do care what the guests think, whih I think is something that has been absent from SFMM for a very long time. After reading about the dedication of the new managment, and seeing them post (and I'm sure lurk) here, I really can't wait to see where this park is in 5-10 years from now.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I had a wonderful time at West Coast Bash this year. It totally exceeded my expectations. I really enjoyed some of the extra things that the park did for us that day (free parking, tram service both in the morning and evening). Even though SFMM is not my local park, I really could appreciate its history by visiting the Sky Tower museum. I hope to make it again next year.

5 years ago, if someone would have said something at SFMM was this great, I would have been shocked, but now I'm gonna really have to find my way to SoCal next year(hopefully if you have it!) and try to get to this awesome event that I've heard nothing bad about.

Thank you for your comments, Neal. I will agree with the others in saying that I like The New Six Flags Magic Mountain. For the last 15 years, I've purchased a season pass (the last four years have been the Xtreme Play Pass), and will continue to do so. The pass is a great value and ensures that I'll be back at the park as much as possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished Thomas Town and the new ride next year. X2 looks like it will take the original X (X1 according to Tim Burkhart) to the third power.

Thank you to the entire SFMM team for making the park a place where you want to be.

Eric

It seems crazy to see nothing but positive reviews about SFMM. I can't even imagine what the park is like today because I was madly in love with the place in 02, 03 when it was falling apart.

I think it's crazy that the GM of a theme park has said that you can ask for him at Guest Relations and actually TALK to him. That's some crazy-awesome sheeot.

^ What amazes me as well is how I personally saw Jay and Neal greet people and ask if they were having fun, and, sadly, most of the responses I saw were anything from ignoring them to "Um, OK..."

Apparently, people aren't used to being treated nicely. And that's too bad.

Eric

^Yeah, that is a shame. However, when Neal was personally unlocking the lockers after night ERT had ended I shook his hand and let him know that we all greatly appreciate the hard work that went into that day. Now, I don't mean to sound egotistical, but I think if they are aiming to please the enthusiasts then the general public will be pleased as well. Trickle-down!

Thing is, we enjoyed something 99% of the general public never get to enjoy. All coasters to yourself for 2.5 hours? Multiple conversations with top park brass in one day? It's unheard of.

The public will enjoy the fruits of the labor regarding the IBU strategy, enhanced reliability of coasters + increased efforts to manage queues to increase overall capacity, increased efforts to keep every corner of the park clean and NOT letting it just sit neglected for years (Jet Stream Plaza), and the elimination of the 6.5 minute rule.

We're excited about that now because we understand that language when it's told to us. The public will get excited when it happens. We're 7 months into it, and it's going pretty strong so far. Hopefully in the next 6-12 months the public regard for SFMM will start shooting upwards.

-- PMM