Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:12 pm

astroworldfan1 wrote:It's sad to see a park with no room to expand. The old Elitch's loooks nice, but the new one is all concrete and no trees. The Wild Cat and Mister Twister looked really fun!

-Tatum

Yes, the new Elitch's does seem quite sterile. It's among my least favorite parks for a variety of reasons. I feel those who designed it really didn't understand what made the original so special in the first place. At the very least they should have relocated the existing (and proven) wooden coasters instead of trying (and failing miserably) to build a 'modern' version of Tw
ister. It's rather sad ...

-S

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:39 pm

^Did you run out of orange-colored font at the end there? :lolr:

Great pictures!

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:59 pm

ernierocker wrote:^Did you run out of orange-colored font at the end there? :lolr:

Great pictures!

Glad you liked them ... and yes, it appears that something went all wonky with the orange ink ... (':?:')

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:29 pm

^ The yellow is easier to read anyway. ;)

As I said in the Shane's Attic thread, I missed the original Elitch's. But Lakeside is still there, so I'd better take a trip to Denver sometime before that one's gone.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:29 am

EBL wrote:^ The yellow is easier to read anyway. ;)

As I said in the Shane's Attic thread, I missed the original Elitch's. But Lakeside is still there, so I'd better take a trip to Denver sometime before that one's gone.

Yep, and Lakeside celebrates its centennial season this year! I feel a need for a spin on the Cyclone and Wild C'Munk!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby cycamps » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:53 pm

astroworldfan1 wrote:It's sad to see a park with no room to expand. The old Elitch's loooks nice, but the new one is all concrete and no trees. The Wild Cat and Mister Twister looked really fun!

-Tatum

I totally agree with your statement about the new park.

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:04 pm

EBL wrote:^

The Lakeside Cyclone itself is worth a trip to Denver, just make sure you are there to catch the park after dark. Lakeside is a completely different park from night to day!
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby SeaWhippet » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:34 pm

montezooma wrote:
EBL wrote:^

The Lakeside Cyclone itself is worth a trip to Denver, just make sure you are there to catch the park after dark. Lakeside is a completely different park from night to day!

So true. Cyclone is the last Vettel coaster still operating (Conneaut's Blue Streak is SBNO), and it's one sweet ride. Those big roomy wooden trains with fixed lap bars are real treat.

For those into photography, Lakeside is an incomparable neon kingdom at night! Just beautiful.

Postby SeaWhippet » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:55 pm

Ocean View Rocket

The Rocket (formerly Skyrocket) at Virginia’s Ocean View Park was a spectacular seaside thriller that rose to fame in 1977’s ‘Rollercoaster.’ I was quite young then, and unable to drive, but once I saw the film’s ride sequences (especially the nighttime POV prior to the ‘crash’), I vowed to somehow experience the amazing coaster in person.

During a family vacation in 1977 (that included Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens!), I finally convinced my Mom to stop at Ocean View. It was an early weekday afternoon and crowds were very light. I sprinted right onto the coaster’s platform with a ticket in hand … ready to ride.

But other than the lone operator – and older man who seemed half-asleep – I was the only one there. He perked up and told me that he couldn’t send the train unless he had at least twelve riders. What!?! I tried and tried but I could not convince anyone to ride with me … even complete strangers I accosted on the vacant midway. It was my worst nightmare.

In the end, I never got to ride the Rocket. My last image of it is burned into my memory: an empty three-car train sitting silently in the station with the lap bars up and ready for passengers ... that never showed up.

And as we all know, Ocean View Park closed the following year, and the Rocket was destroyed for a deplorable TV movie called ‘The Death of Ocean View Park.’ It was a sad ending to a classic ride.

-S

Here is the video clip of the coaster being destroyed for the movie:
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=oT5NESydaso[/youtube]

Here is more video from that film:
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LMqlM2o5Rmg[/youtube]

* These photos come from a variety of sources including my personal collection, Playboy magazine and OVP fan Doug Garner.
rrr.jpg
r00.jpg
r1.jpg
r2.jpg
r3.jpg
r4.jpg
r5.jpg

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:17 pm

If I could go back in time and ride any coaster that is now gone, The Rocket would be my #1 choice!!!

That speed dip after the first drop looks brutal! I wish I had the chance to ride it. I can't think of anything worse than sitting in the coaster and not being able to ride cause no one else would ride with you...total bummer!!!

Those are some great pictures. I believe that when the movie Roller Coaster was filmed the ride got a pretty make over but it it's last days it was pretty delapidated (sp?)

That crash scene in Roller Coaster is pretty good! Gruesome but Good!

PS- where are the nudie shots from Playboy??? :b
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!