TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sea World Abu Dhabi back on the docket for 2022

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a couple things I don't get about this project.

1. Someone said this earlier but I wanted to repeat how I don't understand the point of holding animals captive, making a man-made island on the habitat in which the animals live formally, and then having them on that island where they'd be anyway, except now they're an attraction.

2. So is the parking going to be in that section of "palm leafs" that jet out to the sides? Again, if they're doing this, i don't get it. All the crap from the cars (fluids, oil, human trash) is going to be going right into the ocean!

3. It just doesn't make sense that a company that means well for the sea animals would build an island destroying the very habitat many of them live in for profit. I think it's a great idea, very different from anything else out there, I just see it being a problem with how the parks are way off the coast like that.

To me its like one of those "just cause you can doesn't mean you should" kinda ideas.

3. The company who are constructing the islands are creating man-made reefs off the coasts of Dubai to help off-set the loss of marine habitat.

2. The Dubai Monorail (Hi Scott), is going to run up and down the "trunk" of all the Palm Islands if I recall correctly, so I assume parking will be 'on-shore' and then you take public transport up.

1. Well, I assume the animals will be looked after, hopefully.

The Dubai Monorail (Hi Scott), is going to run up and down the "trunk" of all the Palm Islands if I recall correctly, so I assume parking will be 'on-shore' and then you take public transport up.

Awesome! When can I send my deposit for the TPR ME trip?

So, I'm enjoying this thread...but I have to ask a serious question:

Where is Dubai?

Also, wouldn't it be cool if the Bush Gardens had both Sheekra and Griffith? And one could be built on top of the other one, so that instead of one having a 200 foot drop, it could have a 600 foot drop.

Would that be awesome!!!

Either you have the worse sense of sarcasm I have ever seen or this may be the worst post I have read. So a shrub (Bush not Busch) has two dive machines. One that is based on a screeching sound and the other is themed to Family guy (griffith not Griffin). Then when you combine the two 200 foot drops you end up with a 600 foot drop. (200+200=600?) Adding to this mishap is the 20th time someone asked where this place is while using a device that can easily find the answer to said question. Course considering your last sentence is a question, but you end it with multiple exclamation points leads me to believe questioning is also not your greatest skill.

Every young poster on the site should read this as proof that it is not just the teens who butcher posts.

Rich, your joke post radar is severely uncalibrated. Please update to the latest version ASAP.

2. The Dubai Monorail (Hi Scott), is going to run up and down the "trunk" of all the Palm Islands if I recall correctly, so I assume parking will be 'on-shore' and then you take public transport up.

You are correct, sir. Well, at least that's the plan for the neighboring group of islands. I'm guessing a monorail system will be involved somewhere on The Palm Jebel Ali as well.

A whale shaped island? Amusing gimmick... incredibly stupid, but amusing. There won't be any room to expand, and these parks are already small to begin with (up to 1/3 the size of their FL counterparts.)

yeah, a nice gimmick that can be seen in space and on maps... how much room does Tampa have to expand out? and hasn't it been discussed over and over again how even the tightest of parks (ie Indiana Beach!) always find room to expand?

I have a question regarding this whole endeavor and Dubai in general. It seems that the country is catering to the super rich since they have the only (if not of the only) 7 star hotel in the world. Do you think these parks will also cater to the richest of the rich, since the cheapest airfare I found was $1223 roundtrip? And that is just to get there. I highly doubt that Super 8 will be building affordable hotel rooms on one of the fronds of the Palm tree.

It seems almost like the movie Jurassic Park in which they cater to the super rich. Sure, the people in the area may be able to afford it, but for us on the other side of the world, do you think we would be willing to shell out a lot of money for a few credits?

Just curious what the cost of living and recreation is in Dubai and how a BEC park will adapt to the climate (financially speaking).

^John - I would speculate that Dubai City's primary target audience will be Europeans, who will have shorter and cheaper flights, versus Americans.

My understanding is that Dubai City currently attracts the ultra rich right now as it bids to become the Finance Capitol of the Middle East. However, the second step in Dubai's future to be be a major tourist destination for others who also enjoy luxury.

I just did a quick search for Dubai hotels under $200 a night and found 41 out of 250 that satisfied that request. Major brands included: La Meridien, Novotel, Ibis, etc.

Yeah, we may not be able to afford the Burj al Arab, but we can still afford Dubai! And realisitically that airfare isn't that bad!!! Have you looked at airfares for US - Europe lately!?

3. The company who are constructing the islands are creating man-made reefs off the coasts of Dubai to help off-set the loss of marine habitat.

1. Well, I assume the animals will be looked after, hopefully.

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear, thanks for the clarification. This sounds much more like something up BEC's alley.

My only irk is that creating man-made habitats doesn't always bring solutions to problems i.e. the loss of marine habitat-especially one that will attract the GP. Generally leaving the area alone (no fishing, polluting, protecting the area and allowing it to fix itself) is what best regenerates a low activity or damaged environment, especially when it comes to oceans. Obviously the animals will be looked after, I just think the idea of having a whale shaped island with theme parks (which I'm guessing means rides?) off the coast of Dubai is very extraneous.

Looks like this will be a very interesting project on both sides of the spectrum.

^Well the reason reefs are being built in Dubai is because the Persian Gulf is too salty to naturally have one form. No amount of reduced ship traffic or any other eco-friendly solutions will make it so reefs can grow naturally. Slightly off topic, but I would assume that this new resort will use the reefs as an attraction(extra charge though of course)

Edit: Oh well, we all make mistakes. Thanks for clearing it up Pure.

While these parks are small, I'm sure that they will be used to their full potential. Sure the coaster count might not be as high as BGA, but these parks will still have a substantial amount of coasters and other rides.

That's incorrect. The Persian Gulf has natural reefs on its own, the ecosystem has most notably been disturbed by its heavy industrialization, pollution from surrounding countries (especially during conflict) and its large source of crude oil. Not because its "too salty."

But hopefully this will make the environment around it a little bit better, as well as providing the quality entertainment BEC's known for.

I thought the reefs were supposed to do double-duty by replenishing the environment so to speak, and as a natural barrier for wave erosion. (Was it already mentioned? Damn, I'm tired.)

Anyway, project looks totally unbelievable, but so does everything else in Dubai.

I am doing a research project for my ENGL 106 class here at Purdue on Dubai from an economic standpoint. I am still in total awe of what they are doing in the UAE. If anyone has any input for my essay and argument, please let me know, and I will be glad to share my project when I am done with it!

Either you have the worse sense of sarcasm I have ever seen or this may be the worst post I have read.

Maybe both. Rather terrifying to think that a post I could scarecly have made more retarded, in the end proved too subtle. :O/

[...] leads me to believe questioning is also not your greatest skill.

Nor yours either, apparently. But, alas, the fault is mine. No more trying to be Wes Dawn Awesome for me....

^well I thought your post was funny...I guess some people don't pick it up as well...

meh, It's all good

To comment of the financial side of the expansions of Dubai, my guess would be depending on where you make a reservation (i.e, in the world map thing, or the palm tree thing, or anywhere else) they will have generalized payment packages where you could pay a sum to have access to Busch Island/other attractions nearby for X number of days.

That seems like a good idea to me, but they probably already have some sort of financial plan set up so the attractions can be as feasible to as many people as possible.

Am I really the one person who thinks Americans spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars to fly to the Middle East to ride roller coasters is insane?!

I would obviously spend a few days in the major cities to see the "normal" tourism stuff, but I would go to Israel, Kuwait and Lebanon as well as UAE.

^I would pay any amount of money to be in the side loop hotel.

So I'm not the only one who cares about that thing? I was going to call it the Vertical Donut Hotel, but Sideloop is still a good name.

^No. Its a company, bottom line.

Regardless of which animals live in the Persian Gulf, when you plop large man made islands off the coast, you're destroying some sort of habitat, polar bears or not. It's just ironic that Seaworld happens to be that company doing it this time.

When Palm was constructed, Scuba Divers (for surveying the underwater portion of the construction) found that the rocks and stuff they placed in the water for Palm Island actually acted as anchors for coral to take hold. These artificial islands are not destroying marine life, they are letting it thrive. You know how people sink old Battleships and old war planes to make artificial reefs, well, this is kind of the same thing, only on a much bigger scale, and the whole "Man Made Reef" thing was an unintentional bonus in revenue (Scuba Diving next to and around the reef.)

A whale shaped island? Amusing gimmick... incredibly stupid, but amusing. There won't be any room to expand, and these parks are already small to begin with (up to 1/3 the size of their FL counterparts.)

Busch Gardens Dubai may not be that large, but if you take a look at BGA, they really didn't need all that land with the small amount of rides they have. If Busch Gardens Dubai will have the same amount of rides as BGA, it is actually a good size. You have to walk A LOT to get between Montu and Gwazi.

• 5 years later...