Scott's Coaster Closet

An amazing collection of roller coaster history!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby obxKevin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:06 pm

Long time lurker here. Thanks for the photos of the Comet, Scott. I was always a West View Park goer and have only lived in this local area for 7 years so never saw the Comet run, but I have explored the park as it currently sits. You can still see pylons and steel beams crossing the creek. I often wondered what the coaster looked like. I have only seen one other picture of the coaster running along the ravine.

Last pictures of the trains that I know of can be found HERE

Thanks Lori, for the pictures

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:25 pm

obxKevin wrote:Long time lurker here. Thanks for the photos of the Comet, Scott. I was always a West View Park goer and have only lived in this local area for 7 years so never saw the Comet run, but I have explored the park as it currently sits. You can still see pylons and steel beams crossing the creek. I often wondered what the coaster looked like. I have only seen one other picture of the coaster running along the ravine.

Last pictures of the trains that I know of can be found HERE

Hey Kevin,

Glad you enjoyed the Comet pics. I have others of the ride in operation but I'm still looking for those. Where were the trains/Bug tubs located in your pics? Though they look rather bad, I'm glad to see they weren't dumped in a landfill.

BTW, I'll have West View shots up soon. I climbed all over the Dips and Racing Whippet the last year it stood. So sorry I never got to actually ride those beauties. :(

-S

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby CocaColaBoy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:15 pm

DenDen wrote:There are MANY explanations as to why he stuck with 99% loops. (Thriller technically has a corkscrew in it in my opinion.) Some say it was just his design style, but I think it had lots to do with ease of portability with his designs. Ever seen a portable corkscrew from ANY company? I'm sure one exsists somewhere, but I've never seen any.

Eurostar is an inverted coaster built be Intamin/Gionvarla with four abreast seating arrangement. Elements in order: vertical loop, zero-g roll, corkscrew, corkscrew. And its portable.

A video of it exists on this site at:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... t=eurostar

Edit: and, according the the BBC:

Visitors to this year's Munich Oktoberfest can look forward to whizzing along at 100km per hour on the largest roller coaster in the world. "Eurostar" is certainly Germany's most scary but most exhilarating ride.

-- Matty[/quote]
eurostar29g.jpg
Train in/exiting final corkscrew and entering the crazy insane turnaround

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:02 pm

^ I'm familiar with Eurostar, but an inverted corscrew is much different that an standard one, that the actual track for the entire electment doesn't take as much space, and is quite compact to put on back of a truck.

montezooma wrote:Vekoma makes several versions of portable corkscrews

Oh wow, that's the first time I've ever seen that. Thanks!!! It would be interesting to see how that put these on flatbeds. (ie. how many pieces they break the element down to/how they're layed out.)
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:26 pm

"EBL wrote: Also, I think Sierra Twist WAS a Schwarzkopf Bayencurve.

Fixed!"
(Robb)

Correctus maximus. I'd forgotten that it's coming out, too.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby kitsch transporter » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:41 am

^^ I don´t know how many flatbeds, trucks and containers were needed to transport the Vekoma Corkscrew, but there were too many of them. That´s why the showmen who bought it from Vekoma immediately sold it to a theme-park after its premiere fair appearance.

It was commissioned by Showmen Bruch and Kinzler who were responsible for bringing most of the big coasters to german fairs. Stengel worked with Vekoma on the layout and transportability. Because the track-design and the corkscrew were an Arrow licence, they couldn´t make signicant changes to the track profile. Apparantly the ride was too "heavy" and unpractical for mobile use compared to Schwarzkopf rides.

After on appearance at a fair in 1978 they sold the ride to "Traumlandpark" (which later became Warner Bros. Movie World) where it stood as "Super Spirale" until it was sold on to Jolly Rogers Park in Maryland. It is now standing in Malaysia.

AFAIK all of the later Corkscrew with Bayerncurve models still use the frame-base but none were sold or marketed for the fair circuit. (I don´t know if at one point some american or canadian fair travelled with such a ride).
The smaller "Whirlwind" coaster (the one with the two single corkscrews) was also build on a fram-base. But this was done to make the ride attractive for small parks. It was not designed/marketed as a travelling coaster.

The only other Vekoma fairground rides I know of, was the "Para Tower", a mobile parachute tower which had also a short life on the german fair circuit.

For more info on all the great Schwarzkopf flats go to http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/hauptmenueGF.htm
They have all his flats and coasters listed and pictured from the late 1950s until 1986.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby obxKevin » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:30 am

SeaWhippet wrote:Glad you enjoyed the Comet pics. I have others of the ride in operation but I'm still looking for those. Where were the trains/Bug tubs located in your pics? Though they look rather bad, I'm glad to see they weren't dumped in a landfill.

BTW, I'll have West View shots up soon. I climbed all over the Dips and Racing Whippet the last year it stood. So sorry I never got to actually ride those beauties. :(

-S

I believe the trains were at a salvage/junk yard right in New Castle, not 100% sure which one though. I also see that rcdb has pictures of the Comet now. Not sure when they were added.

As for the Dips at West View, that was my first coaster ever. No kiddie coaster for me, Mom just dragged my butt along with her. That turnaround was a nasty surprise. Scared the poop out of me. Didn't ride another coaster 'til 1976 at Cedar Point. I, sadly, never rode the Whippet.

Postby SeaWhippet » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:24 pm

obxKevin wrote:
I believe the trains were at a salvage/junk yard right in New Castle, not 100% sure which one though. I also see that rcdb has pictures of the Comet now. Not sure when they were added.

As for the Dips at West View, that was my first coaster ever. No kiddie coaster for me, Mom just dragged my butt along with her. That turnaround was a nasty surprise. Scared the poop out of me. Didn't ride another coaster 'til 1976 at Cedar Point. I, sadly, never rode the Whippet.

I can see how the Dips turnaround freaked you out. I walked the track and was amazed that a train with only a fixed lap bar didn't toss riders out on every circuit.

Too bad you missed the Whippet. I climbed all over that sweet machine. It was a brilliant Vettel design. Oh, and it had fixed lap bars as well. I can only image what night rides were like ...

Postby SeaWhippet » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:29 am

As Shane said in his recent Attic post, Elitch Gardens was a wonderful traditional park. The new Elitch's is nothing like the original. That's especially true when comparing Mister Twister with the newer downtown version. So, here's a little add-on to Shane's thread ...

I've noticed that not much is ever said about the Wild Cat. I was surprised what a great little ride it turned out to be. Below are a few pics of both coasters. The B&W images (courtesy of PTC) illustrate the WC's original low-profile second hill and show what the ride looked like prior to Twister's construction.

*Note: The color shots came to me in the early 90s when I was editor of ACE News. I found them on a disc, and have no idea who the photographer is.*
e1.jpg
e2.jpg
e3.jpg
e5.jpg

I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:54 pm

It's sad to see a park with no room to expand. The old Elitch's loooks nice, but the new one is all concrete and no trees. The Wild Cat and Mister Twister looked really fun!

-Tatum

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!