TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^^I find that odd too. A place as big as it is now, built around basically you could call it a mountain, you would think there would be maybe several transportation rides to get you over the mountain and to many sections of the park. OE is great for getting you up and down the front of the hill but there is nothing to get you up and down the backside or from one end to the other. My home park, CGA, still has a sky ride and although it is a smaller park, its great to be able to ride it when you dont feel like walking from one end to the other. With Metro gone, it would be nice to see a skyride, perhapse, be put in to take you over the mountain to the backside or even one to take you from one end to the other. Instead of a thrill ride next time, I would be happy to see one of these put back in. It really makes no sense not to have one there.

^^ SFMM did have a very nice network of transportation rides at one time---and they were all well utilized and welcome. There was Orient Express to and from the top of the mountain in front; The Dragon to and from the top of the mountain in the back; Metro with three stops; and two Eagles Flight lines, both from the top of the mountain along where S:TE is, and the other one to about where Freefall's queue was.

Even the old Grand Centennial Railroad had two stops; one where Batman is now, and the other behind the old wood sign shop in Cyclone Bay, so you could use that to get from one end to the other.

My guess is that over time, one by one, management simply removed these to make way for new rides. Remember, transportation rides don't bring much of a return on investment. Making money is what it's all about.

Eric

From what I recall, SFMM's Eagles Flight was damaged in the 1994 earthquake, but I think it was going to come down anyway to make way for Superman--The Escape.

A number of these skyrides have gone away; Disneyland did close theirs not long after SFMM did. However, I think CGA still has theirs, as does SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo.

Regarding what I said a few posts up...they should keep/rehab the old station building into something if they're going to leave it there, but that space might be used for a new attraction at some point if the park doesn't plan to do anything with the building.

Eric

Yes CGA still has theirs.

I have said the same thing about using that building to house a simple flat. I think it could prove quite successful. It would also be cool if they built something in Dragon's old station. It would be a shame to see that nice piece of architecture torn down when it could also house a flat. Two problems could be solved at once - getting rid of "unused" structures by using them for something and adding more flats.

I think money spent on a new Metro system would be so worth it though. Not only for convinience but when i was a kid and saw the Metro running i always thought, wow, this is a big park - so big you need a transportation ride to get to diffferent sections. Plus it looked cool

They could get some newer, maybe more futuristic looking trains, rehab the system and i am sure it will change a lot of impressions of visitors inside the park and is that not what Magic Mountain Management is aiming for now?

I know it will cost millions, but as much as i love coasters, i gladly wait an extra year for a new one if we can use that money to get the metro running again. It's kinda puts the "charm" back into the park. I loved just riding it when i was tired, making loops around the park for no reason,lol. Ahhh, good times

Ok, going back to the nerd corner now,lol

KidTums and I took a quick stroll around the park today. No photos as this was more about us on a walk, not about doing an "update."

Anyway, overall it was a really nice day. We got into the park just before 5pm and headed over to Bunny World. KidTums rode the TeaCups and the Balloons. Then we figured we would see if we could do the impossible. That's right...I fit my fat ass into a Tweety Bird Cage with her! I think I was more terrified than she was.

After that we took a lap around the park. Stopped in a few shops to check some stuff out, looked at the height restrictions of some rides to see how big KidTums needs to be to ride some of the more 'adult' rides.

While I understand the reasoning behind it, it still bums me out that they've removed 4 rides with a 42" or lower height restriction. Especially the Tilt-A-Whirl, because, if I remember correctly, she could have ridden that now.

Anyway, it was time to visit "Stumpy" or "what's left of Freefall." Basically all that is left is about 8 to 10 feet of the tower, and lots of little mini-tower sections scattered around where they chopped it all down.

Joey will be upset, I'm sure. Poor Joey. Both him and his ex-ride are now kind of "stumpy!" (please don't kill me, Joey!)**

We headed through Cyclone Corner where I took a stroll through the candy shop only to find some really wicked looking Hot Sauce!!! Yes! Apparently there is some Six Flags branded Habanero based sauce! I can't wait to try some of that out in my next batch of wing sauce.

Finally we headed up the hill towards Tatsu and around to the front of the park to head out. I wanted to make a quick stop into the Super Store to see if they had any Nintendo boxers (yes, I know, I make Nintendo games for a living and I wear Nintendo boxers...I'm just that sad and pathetic!)

Turns out I walked right into a film shoot! And Jay Thomas was playing the roll of "prop boy." (You know the guy off the side that throws the props at the star...think Luke Skywalker in Empire Strikes Back when the Vader kept throwing those Styrofoam pieces of Death Star at him...ok, ok, so maybe Jay's role wasn't *quite* that cool, but still, it was fun to watch!)

It was good to run into the management crew who was lending a hand with a film shoot for some new upcoming in-park videos.

I did want to point out that I was greeted by an employee of every single shop I went into "Hi, hows it going? How's your day been so far?" I'm still just not used to this.

The only slight annoyance of the day was the ride op at the Balloon Ride who didn't know that "under 36" unless accompanied by an adult" meant that I could ride with Kristen. But we quickly got that sorted out!

That's it for this time around. Hopefully next week I might feel up to bringing a camera!

--Robb

**Note - Oddly enough, not 30 seconds after I typed this, Joey IMed me saying "Die!!!" Like the guy KNEW I had just made fun of him and I hadn't even posted this yet! So weird....so '6th sense' like....

Yes, the coupon books are in. I have seen guests using them around the park.

The film shoot this past weekend was for a few segments for the Six Flags TV system going into parks in the next few years.

They have some great segments all over the park, as well as some fun character segments. Normal park guests were used in most of the filming, which was very well received.

The exterior of Goldrusher's station was repainted, white and another color for accents.

^^Wow both very good things to hear. I think one of my favorite things going to the park back in the day as a kid was watching all the bugs bunny cartoons they'd have going on all over the park. Definitely something I'd love to see come back. It really makes the lines for rides go by much quicker!

I gotta get down to the park soon, it's almost been over a month now.

I got my season pass processed at the park yesterday, as said before the coupon books are in, they are also giving out one flash pass for when X2 opens up. I was lucky and found a few on the ground around the park. I don't have the book on me right now, but ill post the coupons that are in it when I get home from work if no one gets to it before I do.

Aaron

Me and my sister went on Saturday. It was the first time we had been there in over a year. So, I am just going to comment on what I thought of the whole experience... Sorry no pics..

The whole park seemed much more up-beat I will say. No doubt about that. Customer interaction has been ramped up, and I love it. This is what a theme park is all about! We were the first ones to the gate for parking, and the only sour employee I saw all day was there. Just a reminder everyone, when you talk loudly, even if you are in a ticket booth, people can hear you...

We were the first one in the parking lot (a first for us) and rode the tram over to the front gate. It was training day for most everyone in the park, so it was fun to see so many new, and eager, faces - even though it did mean longer wait lines some of the time. The working speakers in the trams are a plus, let me tell you.

At the front gate, while we were waiting, the ticket takers were talking with the audience. It was nice. And let me say, additionally, that the loss of the over-cheery people at opening is a real plus, in my humble opinion.

Throughout the day, the ops were overall, much better. The park was dead all day. And hey Jahan, I got to see you working Goliath! I have never seen anyone check restraints that fast. I wouldhave introduced myself, but I didnt want to get you introuble....

Anyway, the park is definately cleaner. Much better attitudes all around. And hey, I got to go to sky tower for the first time!! I had a good time, and am looking forward to WCB!

Shawn

Good to hear they have the coupon books. I'll have to get mine when I'm down at the park this weekend. Just wish I had it already so I could get free parking!

When I was there last month it was DEAD. Goliath was doing its "15 passenger minimum" thing. So even though we had to wait a bit to ride it at first (about an hour after park opening), we did stay on for two rides.

Seeing as how this weekend is President's Day weekend, I wonder if it will be any more crowded. I attribute the light crowds last time to the cold weather and potential for rain, this weekend is looking to be a nice one. Should be fun! I just hope Ninja is open, I was really bummed about it being closed last time.

^^ Ninja needs to have the ambient air temperature high enough to operate. If it was a bit cold during your visit, then they won't run it.

^ Ninja has been running two trains for awhile---at least during my visits.

Eric

^ I know. I remember hearing it was something like 55 degrees minimum. It was definately below that for most of the day and seeing how low attendance was, once it did warm up I doubt it would have been worth it to open.

It rained the night before and was forcasted to rain later on, and we know those pouches fill with water, so perhaps that also played a role.

Forecast for this Saturday is Sunny and 70!

^^ I still find it funny that you can see Gold Rusher's original track color (red, believe it or not) in the station.

Eric

Eric do you know what year Gold Rusher became it's current Yellow color? I believe the park painted it right after the first season, however I could be wrong on that.

^ Flashback is completely gone, and Freefall may be. The last I heard, there was still a bit of Freefall left.

^^ Allen, Gold Rusher was red only in its first year (1971). The following year, it was painted an orangey yellow and has been almost the same color since (some variations with subsequent paint jobs).

Eric