TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

It's interesting to see WDW take on this challenge of adapting AI into an attraction. Certainly fits within the theme of the park. Even though it's coming out this year, the discussions probably go back a few years for this attraction.

Imo, it's not really promoting a competitors product - just being reflective of current pop culture. If Disney theme parks were really concerned about promoting other studio's properties, they would have pulled Indy which is handled by Paramount/Viacom, and Star Tours because Star Wars which is handled by Fox.

It's not like they can do attractions on Lost, Housewives, Extreme Home Makeover, Greys Anatomy, etc. very easily.

They can't even get Hannah Montana in 3D into the parks after it's theatrical run and that seems like the most obvious move for a cheapo, attraction. So Disney..here's a thought. Put the movie into the Muppets theater at DCA for the summer.

It's interesting to see WDW take on this challenge of adapting AI into an attraction. Certainly fits within the theme of the park. Even though it's coming out this year, the discussions probably go back a few years for this attraction.

Imo, it's not really promoting a competitors product - just being reflective of current pop culture. If Disney theme parks were really concerned about promoting other studio's properties, they would have pulled Indy which is handled by Paramount/Viacom, and Star Tours because Star Wars which is handled by Fox.

It's not like they can do attractions on Lost, Housewives, Extreme Home Makeover, Greys Anatomy, etc. very easily.

They can't even get Hannah Montana in 3D into the parks after it's theatrical run and that seems like the most obvious move for a cheapo, attraction. So Disney..here's a thought. Put the movie into the Muppets theater at DCA for the summer.

They could totally do a Lost attraction and I'm surprised they haven't started the ball rolling on one already.

This idea sounds really dumb, and also really time consuming. How many guests are seriously going to want to audition, then hang around for a good deal of time until the show starts. I can really only see the locals and passholders having the time to do this, as it just isn't something a family on vacation would have time for. It also doesn't sound really Disney-like to me, having someone say "sorry, you can't sing" then sending a little disillusioned 15 year old girl crying away back to her family. I don't see this lasting very long at all, even less than Millionaire.

In the famous words of Elissa, "this is not a good idea."

This just confirms that Disney is unsure what to do with MGM/DHS whatever its called now. I am not excited about the new Toy Story ride (Buzz on steroids) and now American Idol! What is going on in that park?!?!?!?! Maybe there needs to be some management changes or a shake up in Imagineering.

Remember Who Wants To Be A Millionaire's run in the parks? Yeah, I barely remember it, too.

Actually, MILLIONAIRE ran for over 5 years from April 7, 2001 to August 19, 2006. In theme park show years, that is pretty impressive.

If they can run IDOL for 3-5 years, that would be considered a success. And since Toy Story Mania will be right around the corner, this will definately help with crowds.

It also doesn't sound really Disney-like to me, having someone say "sorry, you can't sing" then sending a little disillusioned 15 year old girl crying away back to her family.

My original thoughts exactly. An interactive experience of a subjective nature like this just doesn't sit well. I don't think they'll let there be any harsh criticisms of the singers that do make the stage, but some of those who'll be turned away could face unavoidable letdowns....and that's just not what at day at these parks is all about.

Very interesting decision, Disney. VERY interesting.

^Exactly. And what about those audience members who get to be "judges"? The opportunities for emotional meltdowns and other disasters here are endless.

But we know the real reason for the new show:

Beyond the attraction, Hindle says actual "Idol" stars may make appearances throughout the year and merchandise designed by both FremantleMedia and Disney's product divisions especially for the attraction would be available for sale.

This is a dumb idea all the way around.

It's cheap, interactive, and based on one of TV's most popular shows... how is it a bad idea?

I'm taking my analysis of why it's a bad idea from a summery of everyone else's criticism along with my own. Here is why it is a bad idea:

• It requires a much longer time commitment on the guest, including requiring them to return for the last show of the night when the guest will more than likely have other plans.

There is the issue of language barrier with international guests.

The subjective nature of the judging can, and likely will, cause upset and disappointed guests. Guests are already disappointed by the random nature of the Year of a Million Dreams prizes, if they are snubbed personally on a subjectively judged contest, the ire will be drawn further.

The architecture of the show building itself, as per the concept art, is completely out of touch with the rest of the area.

Though the show itself is popular, the appeal of appearing on the show caters to a very small market.

The popularity of the show is waning fast, giving the attraction a very small window of opportunity.

The grand prize is unappealing for the normal guest and is too bogged down with other stipulations, specifically the age requirement of 16-25 which is an age that Disney has extreme difficulty courting.

American Idol is so closely tied to Fox television, it will likely cause confusion to the guests on why it is at a Disney park and will go to promote a competitors product. With licenses like Indy and Star Wars, they are not known as a Paramount or 20th Century Fox brand, they are known as a Lucas brand. The man himself is known far more than the distributor of the film. In the case of American Idol, the distribution platform of Fox television is just as synonymous as the brand itself.

I don't think it is all that cheap to begin with. I'm sure acquiring the license cost a pretty penny on top of the construction costs to update and reset that theater again. It's not e-ticket costs, but it's also not cheap.

That, in my and seemingly many other people's opinions, is why this is a bad idea.

I added the concept art of the building itself, to prove my "out of place with the rest of the area" point.

Image00002.jpg.0d3f9696f0fc4882a5f3548d323576ff.jpg

The concept art of the show sign.

Image00001.jpg.4a3e1756e4545fd7ca7cf5c5f7a6486f.jpg

The American Idol theater

Image00001.jpg.5bde66aca431dfaa1f0d5969ad3e80e1.jpg

The ABC Theater, as of 10/29/07, where American Idol is supposed to go.

Now if Disney had a drunk fest like HHN, then this could be pretty funny.

They do, just wrong park. Food and Wine @ Epcot.

And you don't have to wait 15-20 + min for a beer!

Other then that I cannot think of anything to worse then attending this show in person. God help us all. I might have to find out how solid this one really is. Hopefully this is one of those fall though the cracks and never goes beyond development/concept.

RIP. Roy Scheider No more fish on a stick…

• 3 months later...
Now if Disney had a drunk fest like HHN, then this could be pretty funny.

They do, just wrong park. Food and Wine @ Epcot.

And you don't have to wait 15-20 + min for a beer!

Other then that I cannot think of anything to worse then attending this show in person. God help us all. I might have to find out how solid this one really is. Hopefully this is one of those fall though the cracks and never goes beyond development/concept.

No chance of that...they promo'd this big time during last night's American Idol finale...

If people are taking such an attraction so seriously to be 'hurt' by the sayings of the 'judges' then they deserve to be shot down...

I remember Madame Tussauds had a small section for the UK version, and a mate of mine sang on that, it's a good laugh, depending on the song (he choose Timp Warp, the Rocky Horror classic) and loads of people were watching from the area...

If done well with decent songs (classic and well-known songs, not rap or unknown metal, as much as I'd love that ), then yes this can work to a degree, but the prize idea is a bit silly in having to compete again at the end of the day, why not have a smaller prize for each show every day, can't be more than 4/5 per day, so that could work more...

Not that'll I'd rush to do it regardless of area, this will be a relative hit for Disney, especially if they use HSM songs (I feel so dirty for using HSM )

• 8 months later...
ORLANDO, Fla. — A British woman is suing Walt Disney World, claiming a ride caused her to suffer a disabling heart attack and stroke in 2005.

Leanne Deacon and her mother, both of Kibworth, England, filed the lawsuit Wednesday in Orlando circuit court. They are seeking at least $15,000.

Leanne Deacon was 16 when she rode the Disney World-MGM Studios' "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" ride several times.

Shortly after one ride, Deacon's heart stopped and she had a brain hemorrhage.

The Deacons accuse Disney of negligence in the ride's design and operation. They say Disney failed to adequately warn of the risks or provide adequate safety restraints.

Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the company hadn't seen the lawsuit. Prunty said the ride was working properly when Deacon rode it.

Link

Yeah it's Fox News, but it is still news.

The one good thing is that it sounds like the lawsuit is money for medical expenses instead of pain and suffering. While I doubt it was Disney's fault, I am happy to see that they aren't being greedy, and the only part that is bs to me is that there weren't enough warnings or adequate restraints.