PhotoBoothe's 2008 Australia Trip Report!

Pics/Vid from Movie World, Dreamworld, Wet 'n Wild!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Somebody Get This Guy Some SUGAR!

Postby thunder001 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:18 am

The part that always seems to get me is the section of track as you head to the back of the ride, just the change of direction seems to cause the headache. I have tried to brace myself for it, but don't seem to have much luck with it.

At least the day was a nice one for JZ at Dreamworld. Can't wait to see what he thought of the Giant Drop....and how many times he rode it.
The Old Man, no longer MIA.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:38 am

thunder001 wrote:The part that always seems to get me is the section of track as you head to the back of the ride, just the change of direction seems to cause the headache. I have tried to brace myself for it, but don't seem to have much luck with it.

At least the day was a nice one for JZ at Dreamworld. Can't wait to see what he thought of the Giant Drop....and how many times he rode it.

I'm back!

Robb, I rode Reptar and to me it felt slower than KI's.

Thunder, I thought that Cyclone was pretty smooth...but it did have a few bumps. One on the turn before the zig zag, and one on the back turn around underneath some random slide.

Will update with pictures! Oh, and videos of Giant Drop, TOT and the qeue, and other stuff I took!

-J "Oh...about 7 times..." Z

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Gav » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:12 am

Cool, sounds like you got plenty done. What did you think of the park itself though?

Whats up next? Movie World....The best is yet to come ;)
Though hold off till after the 17th of Feb when Superman finishes its rehab, that is one coaster you dont wanna miss.

Oh, and what did you think of the motocoaster? Apparently a lot of people dislike that one.

Somebody Get This Guy Some SUGAR!

Postby thunder001 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:23 am

I find myself as normal, agreeing with Gav on that one...you DO NOT want to miss out on Superman, or for that matter Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster. Although if you do the Lethal Weapon coaster, I take no responsibility for any after effects that you might encounter, as it is Vekoma.

The zig-zag on Cyclone is the park that normally gets me, must zig when I should zag or something, but glad to hear you had a great day.
The Old Man, no longer MIA.

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:14 am

Hey everyone! I had an action packed day at Dreamworld today. After a small delay with loosing one of the Canadian exchange students on the trains, but we all met up at Dreamworld. I'll let the pictures talk!

Ride Count:
T.O.T - 3, back outside seat wins.
Giant Drop - 7 times. Incredible.
cyclone - once is enough
Wipeout - 3 times
Claw - 6 times?
Log ride - once
Rapids Ride - once
Reptar - once
Bumper cars - once
Mick Doohan - once
Reef Diver - once

John doing the Pringles duck thing to entertain while on the trains. Amusing because Lays Chips here are Smith's. Exact copy. Stacks > Pringles.

We got to the station at about 9:30, and the park opens at 10. This is Giant Drop/TOT from the train station. It's about a 5 minute bus ride. Yeah, it's huge.

At 10AM, we arrive at Dreamworld!!! The skyline is half park rides, and the other half is White Water World sticking out.

Here's the fountains inside the entrance. But as some of you may know, most of Queensland have been in a serious drought. Sooo due to water restrictions they are off.

First ride of the day was Cyclone! It's an Arrow custom looper that was relocated from some other park, I believe.

Before you get to the ride....you must walk 5 minutes in circles! On the way up on the outside...on the way exiting the ride you cross over the entrance like an intersection and walk on the inside going down. Most pointless queue EVER.

It's a pretty good ride. I like how you aren't really sunk down into the cars. The layout is like an extended corkscrew coaster.

Here's the view from the other side of the station.

It's the REVERSE side loop! You go through the corkscrewy part first, then half loop into the loop. I bet Jahan and Beer Guy would love to get their hands on these Aussie inversions.
Overall, Cyclone was fun. It had a lame drop, but a fun ride. C+

Next up was Wipeout! It's one of those top spins that twists crazily. It's themed to....surprise...a massive wave that the surfers are crashing on! Too bad there weren't any water effects...

Oh my God...these things were not built for comfort. First the harness comes down and pushes as hard as it can against your pelvis. Then the lap bar thing comes down and locks. It's quite painful if you don't do anything about it pre-ride. Despite slamming your body against the restraint and pushing all body limits, this ride was really good. A solid B.

Next up....THE CLAW. It's like a Huss frisbee but smaller and wayyyyy better. This thing gave awesome forces, floater air, and gave 7 swings beyond vertical! A!!!!

OI! I'M A CLAW. GIMME CANDY OR I'LL CLAW YOUR CAR!

I've got a claw on me claw!

Mmmm....The Claw. <3 Screw Delirium.

Awesome random clown. Every park should have one.

The famous shiny silver face you enter to TOWER OF TERROR. It says, "Gimme all your electrical power so I can charge up my magnets."

Feels like I'm going into the Boiler Room.

Well, I though the Front Row was a good idea....WRONG. There's this massive windshield infront of your face. You can hardly see anything.
TOT - It's a quick ride. The launch is lame, I didn't feel any of the "6.5 seconds of weightlessness", and I doubt it got up to 377ft. Yeah, it was fun, something different. C+

This is the part when your body goes SMUSH into the seat. Yay Intamin T-Bars!

Yay for 15 riders per car with one car. It goes high. Maybe about 300ft or so.

Now, since I did have a lot of time in the park, and there was a short short line....I decided to ride again. This time I got in the last row, outside seat. It's like sitting in any outside seat of an Intamin coaster. Lots of movement. WELL. I liked this go wayyy better. I had a GREAT view. I could look side to side and backward easily! And as we were speeding up, a Giant Drop car flew RIGHT by. Now that is something you need to experience to understand what I'm talking about. You're about 5-8ft away from hitting each other at about 70mph each. Now THAT is a thrill! That go got a B+!!!

Oh, and that's as high as it will go up ^

It's kinda loud. It's similar to hearing Dragster roar by. I thought it was going to be louder after hearing people talk about Superman.

To answer some questions first...
What do you think of Dreamworld?
I think it's a great park with a lovely atmosphere. It has different 'worlds' for everyone in the family. Wiggles World/Nick Univ. for kids, Family rides scattered all over, and the "Big 6" thrill rides.

-I see one BIG flaw with the park. All of the queues are small, except for Cyclone. All of the lines are made for small crowds! I mean, none have switch backs, and on a weekend, I could see the midways FLOWING with lines from who knows what rides.
-Capacity. Oh Dreamworld. You have a SBNO Wild mouse, a reverse freefall coaster, a kiddie vekoma, one train op Arrow looper, and your biggest line eater (Mick Doohan) takes 20 minutes to go through a small "here and back" line. Oh and for half of the day, Giant Drop ran one side - 7 people moving every 4 minutes. Worst capacity ever?
-They need a ride that's longer. All their coasters ride length ranges from 30 seconds to minute thirty seconds. Where's the ride where after an hours wait I can enjoy?!
-Ride placements. Okay, so Tower of Terror is located between Wiggles World and Nick Univ. there's no other way of getting to it without going through one of the worlds. Mick Doohan - really randomly placed, right by a crappy river and Wiggles World.

It seems like it's the Fuji Q of Australia. They need a big capacity eater and something that people will line up for.

Mick Doohan's MotoCoaster! It's the new coaster/attraction for 2007!

Almost doggy style? You climb into your dirt bike thing and pull the front half of it down so it locks over your thighs. Then the thing comes and fits against your back.

The ride is pretty slow for a dirt bike racing track...it would have been alot better if it was faster. It's kinda like....a tame Rita with an odd seating.

Meandering through some zig zags and hops. It's a smooth Intamin. The launch is sooooo weak, though. Pssssstttt....Intamin, stick to the hydraulics...

It was a fun ride. Nothing really standoutish or amazing. The line movement was absolute crap, though. Oh, and the last two sets of motorcycles, there's a little side car you can choose to sit down and ride in if you wish. I'll give it a C+

Okay, it was getting hot....so we went over to the.....LOG RIDE! Yeah, that drop is REALLY lame. It was a cool little log ride, and it had this AWESOME random dinosaur in it!

A decant splash....seemed to get everyone on the left side only, though....

And coming up next......

Oh, random fact about the incredible Giant Drop. It's not called Giant Drop because of it's frickin' free fall...it's because you're a giant drop of oil falling from the top of the tower! Muahahahhahaha.

I heard Bush offered 4 tootsie rolls, a lollipop, and a coupon to chuck-e-cheese for this piece of land.

Sorry mom, I can't go to school today....I've got a bad case of Veritgo.

Riders prepare for the experiance of their lifetime.

And I happened to be that next rider.

400ft is a loooonnnnggggg way up there.

It's just you sittin' up in the clouds.

THE Dreamworld Tower. It says Tower of Terror on the side if you can tell.

There you are...just a little drop of oil falling from atop the tower...

Here's the Eureka mine ride. It's an indoor/outdoor wild mouse...as someone said before, line were ripped out and there were games blocking entrance/exit.

Up next....the Thunder something Rapids ride!

This is where the chair lift ride station was, obviously...random supports still left out there.

The rapids ride coasting down the Dreamworld river. RapidsNerd loves those Aussie rapids!

Well, the ride was fun...but there were only three places you have a chance to get wet! Oh, and there's some cool pitch black parts and some guys messing with dynamite. Two guys got a small splash....And I got one GIANT wave washed over me. Verdict is - Unacceptable ammount of wetness!

Nick Universe. KI's is better. Yay foreign Reptar. I got all the available credits.

There's a tiger exibit between Wiggles World and Nick U, smashed next to T.O.T. Yay Bengals!

Unfortunately that's all I have for my Dreamworld TR! Hope you guys enjoyed the pics, I plan on Movie World sunday and Wet 'n wild during the week!

Oh, I thought this massive 25' by 10' sign would be appropriate for some TPR members.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Cameron » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:13 am

PKI ManJZ wrote:as we were speeding up, a Giant Drop car flew RIGHT by. Now that is something you need to experience to understand what I'm talking about. You're about 5-8ft away from hitting each other at about 70mph each. Now THAT is a thrill!

It's worse/better on the giant drop side, as the whole tower swings/shakes as the coaster runs (hope you got to experience that - it's a real "brown trousers" moment).

I was surprised you didn't like the Cyclone queue, personally I thought it was pretty cool with all the fans and the giant turbine and such (unless all that has been removed now - I was last there 7 years ago). And Cyclone was moved from Luna Park in Sydney.

Pity the mouse wasn't running - it was quite fun. Do you know if it was just down for maintenance, or is it on its way out?

And yeah, those claws rock seriously hard!

Cameron.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:20 am

Thanks for posting these. It sounds like they are running the tower coaster pretty much the same as Superman at SFMM as in it reaches only about 300 feet before coming back down.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:42 am

The ride is pretty slow for a dirt bike racing track...

Nice pics. But if those were supposed to be modeled after "dirt bikes," then something went terribly wrong during the design phase. ;)
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!