TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

They should've just went with a classic enclosed tunnel. Those will just let sunlight into the tunnel which would cause people not being able to see the special effects inside.

It does look cool, but I don't think something like that should be built on a coaster like X. Kinda looks out of place.

The tunnels are way to short to be dark at any time but night. I don't think that them being made of steel will fix that.

And you'd think the LA Times would know better than to just post an article after being told to wait.

Yeah until SFMM bans the LA Times like they've done with TV Stations in the past that go against the parks wishes.
Oh no, the LA Times won't get the exclusive scoop on X2's glorious paint job. If the Times were to ever be banned from Six Flag's mighty PR machine imagine all those reporters and editors out of work...

They posted some concept art/models. So what? It's not the LA Times' fault that this makeover looks completely underwhelming. Neither this or the Thomas the Tank Town Land Whatever is lighting a fire under my butt to renew my season pass, that's for sure. Hell, I was more excited when they painted Ninja last year.

Regardless of the final product, I am really thrilled that SFMM has decided to spend $10 million on X instead of removing it. This also gives me a bit of confidence for the company in the midst of lots of other removals.

The new paint job will look great in my opinion. I was always a fan of the original pink and yellow scheme, but the red and black will certainly make the ride look more "ominous". I didn't think the old trains were that bumpy, but I'm sure the new lighter trains will make it more comfortable. And anything that will help capacity will be greatly appreciated.

As for the tunnels, I actually sort of like them now that I've had a chance to adjust to the new look. I'm glad that SF is trying to be original and creative instead of just another boring tunnel. In any event I doubt this will be the exact final product, and I can't wait to ride it next year.

I love the concept model of the tunnel(s)! It might not give a dark feel to it, but it adds a lot when driving into the park to see this pblack and blood red coaster with wickedly done tunnels. It is nice eye candy when first seeing the park up close as you pull up to the parking area.

Count me as one who would love to see more pics of the new trains!

I was thinking about the tunnels last night again, and actually, with the new paint job and trains, I think they might end up being pretty cool. They definitely give the ride a very high-tech "modern" feel, which works. I would have been completely happy with no tunnels and just the new station setup, paint and trains, but this makes it even more interesting.

I think the main factor which will make X2 a smoother ride rests in the new seats and the elimination of the two separate seats on the pickle forks for one unified seat. I'm thinking that as a result of the better construction and suspension on the seats that X2 will offer the same smoothness in both inside or outside rows and the decreased weight will take down the roughness in the back rows. (Although I hope they will still offer the opportunity to wait for the front row!)

Freefall has been almost completely demolished and Circus Wheel is gone.

Jet Stream is under rehab. And X2 is looking nice!

Death to Circus Wheel (although I think I already heard that it was gone)... that thing made me dizzy, and my husband always dragged me on it.

And Jet Stream needed a rehab... it really beat the crap out of me last time I rode it. It felt like there wasn't enough water in the flume or something. They should repaint the boats while they're at it.

^Jet Streams flume is supposed to have less water. Because the boats were designed to hydroplane, when simply floating on the water, the boats are prone to tipping/rocking. This is evident when stupid kids rock their boat on the way to the first lift.

However, I believe there are only two operational pumps that have gone way too long without a rehab, I wouldn't doubt the water levels are lower.

Colossus raced back in the 70's and 80's because there was a need for it. With only the option of 1 or 2 other coasters in the park, Colossus was the e-ticket attraction in the park. With 2-3 hour lines that'd wind up the county fair walkway, racing Colossus helped with capacity.

Nowadays Colossus may hit a 1 hour line, on a busy day. And the waits not consistent, so there's no need to run 2 sides. Overall, its one less track side, and less trains for mechanics to check in the morning.

I'm very sad to hear about Freefall, it definitely was one of my favorites back when I was younger, mostly because how tech it was. However as of late it was so rough, it slammed a lot and I'm sure this put wear and tear on the structure. In this day and age, a ride like this just wasn't made to last as long as it has.

RIP Freefall.

I think the perfect replacement would be the worlds tallest launched S&S tower. It'd be different from SS at Knotts, and it'd fit perfectly.