TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

But it's always going to be that much more... I've heard a lot of structure on Beast has had to be rebuilt because of things like the headrests increasing the running weight.

That's not a great example because the Beast is not maintained very well. And it's also pushing 30 years old.

Look how many changes the trains have been through though, I mean they were originally 4 bench with buzzbars. They now were cut down to 3 (increasing the cars from 4 to 6, therefore increasing the number of axle assemblies), had ratchet bars added (that ratchet mech is probably quite heavy, much more so than the buzzbar's single lock), and headrests. The first turn was rebuilt and beefed up a lot because the heavy trains beat it up so much. The less stress put on the structure, the better.

I know no where near as much as this has been done to Dash, and it's new trains won't be that much worse, but they do weigh something, and they will add to the overall stress.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to Lake Compounce in a few weeks, and I'm just wondering, what is/are the best time(s) to hit Boulder Dash. Now I know it varies weekdays to weekends, but I'm not 100% sure of which we are going on. So if one knows could you post both? Also, does the boomerang generally have a long que, or is it typically a walk on? ( again weekdays and ends please!) And one last question, are there any notable flat rides I should hit? I think I saw an S&S swing there... thanks in advance for advice!

With Boulder Dash... spend your time walking around the park, doing other things, and eat dinner. After about 6-6:30 it starts to warm up and run great. After dark it's just amazing, so thats the best time to ride it. The bas thing is this is when Dash gets it's longest line, as during the day everyone is in the waterpark. MAKE SURE TO GET A FRONT SEAT RIDE AT NIGHT!

I have never seen Zoomerang with a queue. Try to calculate how many people are in front of you though, and try to get yourself to the front of "a line" as they don't let you pick seats. If you get in the front half of the train, it's glass.

Flats you should hit are the tower, the swing, and the skyride. The skyride is something like 840' tall (the highest point visible from the ground is half way up).

If you ride Wildcat, and aren't a fan of rough rides, stay in a middle bench. Axle benches will beat the hell out of you, so if you don't like that, stay away.

All this applies to weekdays and weekends. Even if the place is very busy, the rides move lines quick.

With Boulder Dash... spend your time walking around the park, doing other things, and eat dinner. After about 6-6:30 it starts to warm up and run great. After dark it's just amazing, so thats the best time to ride it. The bas thing is this is when Dash gets it's longest line, as during the day everyone is in the waterpark. MAKE SURE TO GET A FRONT SEAT RIDE AT NIGHT!

I have never seen Zoomerang with a queue. Try to calculate how many people are in front of you though, and try to get yourself to the front of "a line" as they don't let you pick seats. If you get in the front half of the train, it's glass.

Flats you should hit are the tower, the swing, and the skyride. The skyride is something like 840' tall (the highest point visible from the ground is half way up).

If you ride Wildcat, and aren't a fan of rough rides, stay in a middle bench. Axle benches will beat the hell out of you, so if you don't like that, stay away.

All this applies to weekdays and weekends. Even if the place is very busy, the rides move lines quick.

First of all, thank you for your help!

Now, to the underlined statement, thanks, but no thanks, I'm afraid of heights. (well its different on a roller coaster, aside from the lift, because you're up there, then you're back down.) And to the bolded statement, I'll make sure my mom and dad get a middle seat and I get an axel seat. And this works out well because if everyone's at the waterpark (which I'm not a fan of) I'll have the rides mostly to myself! Yay for unofficial ERT!!!

• 1 month later...

My friend who works at the park has informed me that Boulder Dash has been closed since Saturday evening. A section of track came loose and damaged both trains. Once it reopens, they will be using ONE of the Hershey Wildcat trains for the remainder of the season.

Damn this sucks.. I really wish i had the money to make it down there before this, because all this does is support the rumor that dash is getting a trim next year. :-/

• 5 months later...

Did a search but found no main Lake compounce tread, lots of TRs and Photo reports. So grabed this one.

Anyway in the news lately

http://www.myrecordjournal.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=19226274&BRD=2755&PAG=461&dept_id=592708&rfi=6

SOUTHINGTON - A room full of adults doesn't normally spend a busy morning talking about amusement parks, unless the topic is Lake Compounce and you're a member of the Greater Southington Chamber of Commerce.

The chamber's second annual Legislative Breakfast with the town's state delegation included plenty of discussion about the expansion of Lake Compounce and the potential $3.5 million in state bond money that would support the park's expansion into the northwest corner of town.

Rep. Bruce P. "Zeke" Zalaski, D-Southington, said the new owners of Lake Compounce are willing to spend $15 million to upgrade the park and expand its water park facilities into Southington. Parques Reunidos, a Spanish-based company, announced in December that it had purchased the park from Kennywood Entertainment. Zalaski said the sale is expected to be finalized in March.

Lake Compounce sent out a newsletter today to its "Lake Lovers"

While there will be no new attraction in 2008, the park is set to make a large number of improvements. The most interesting is the new "twist" to the track on Boulder Dash.

Check out the link for the officail newsletter

http://www.ez-llc.com/eznewsletter/archive/44_358.asp?

GHOST HUNT REVAMPED

If you’ve ever waited in long lines for our Ghost Hunt ride you know that it is one of the more popular rides in the park. This year we’ve replaced our two-seater car with cars that hold four passengers, which should improve the speed of the queue line. In addition we’ve added new sound effects and lighting, and we know you’ll be pleased.

YANKEE EMPORIUM GIFT SHOP WILL BE UPDATED

Our Yankee Emporium gift shop located directly to the right of our main gate, upon entering the park is going to have a brand new look, feel and name! We have completely redesigned the shop to make your experience more pleasant, and now it will be called the Lake Compounce Emporium. The store will be more stroller and wheelchair friendly, and offer improved quality, collectible souvenirs such as thimbles, spoons, plates, bells and ornaments. A special 3-D lacquered brass Boulder Dash ornament is planned, and a broad variety of larger sized clothing items will be offered.

DESIGNATED SMOKING AREAS

We listened. Many of our guests, smokers and non-smokers alike, have requested that we establish designated areas for smoking; so we have done just that. In 2008, for the comfort and safety of all of our guests, we are going to require that smoking be done only in our newly established designated smoking areas. Well marked by signage, blue benches and smoker’s outposts, you will find nine areas conveniently located throughout the park, and denoted on our park maps. Smokers will be required to restrict smoking to these areas only, and management will reserve the right to ask any guest to leave, without refund, for not complying with this policy.

ROLLER COASTER NEWS

The remainder of the wooden track on Boulder Dash has been replaced, continuing to make the ride smoother, and we’ve even added a new ‘twist’ to the track.

Our popular loop coaster Zoomerang has received a paint job, and has gone from green and yellow to purple and turquoise. The cars are going to have metallic ‘magic’ paint that will turn various colors as the cars race along the track.

WATER PARK EXPANSION PLANS UNDERWAY

The Twister Sister slides have been removed as a preliminary step to Phase 1 of our long-awaited, much needed water park expansion. Together with the state of Connecticut, Lake Compounce will begin construction of a brand new section of Lake Avenue sometime in early summer. Once the new road is in place, the old road will be removed making room for 7 additional acres of developable water park area. We expect the first new rides to be seen in 2010, and architectural drawings will be on display at Lake Compounce beginning this summer.

The cars are going to have metallic ‘magic’ paint that will turn various colors as the cars race along the track.

Does anyone know how this works?

Magic.

I think they mean that super lame metallic paint that refracts different colors...The link below shows whats I can't really explain:

http://www.duplicolor.com/gallery/mirage_gallery.html

Usually found on cars of men going through their midlife crisis.

The laterals on the turnaround are one of my favorite parts of the ride. I really wouldn't like them to kill them with high banking there (also the turnaround was retracked last year, I doubt they'd do it again).

I'm actually hoping by new twist they mean they put the tricktrack back IN, as it has really flattened itself out over the years. You can see here how highly banked it was, probably the most banking on the entire ride. It's too bad you can't even feel it now....