TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Six Flags must really like 'Tony Hawk'!

The slide sounds cool and all, but really,

is that the best they can do? Couldn't they maybe improve scenry or something. Make the waterpark better. Who knows what they could do. Who knows, maybe Tony Hawk might give them some money to improve the parks.

They need to get off their butts & start fairly distributing rides equally to their parks or just close a few of them....this is ALL Burke's fault for spoiling SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM punk rotten earlier in the decade while ignoring the remaining parks & bankrupting the chain in the process.

If this keeps up SFA will become the next GL or SFAW I'm sure & this is why I won't get a season pass for 2008,five straight years in a row of neglect with nothing but ride removals & NO replacements while wasting money on only their waterpark doesn't justify the fifty dollar price tag for a pass.

They need to get off their butts & start fairly distributing rides equally to their parks or just close a few of them....this is ALL Burke's fault for spoiling SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM punk rotten earlier in the decade while ignoring the remaining parks & bankrupting the chain in the process.

If this keeps up SFA will become the next GL or SFAW I'm sure & this is why I won't get a season pass for 2008,five straight years in a row of neglect with nothing but ride removals & NO replacements while wasting money on only their waterpark doesn't justify the fifty dollar price tag for a pass.

Get off their butts and fairly distribute? First off, when the old management was on their spending spree, I'm pretty sure it was SFA that recieved FIVE major coasters (six coasters total). Second, this is only the second year that the new management has had the ability to decide what and where to install rides. What exactly is so unfair about who's getting rides?

The only ones you could possibly argue are SFNE, SFGAm, and SFGAdv, but neither park has received a new coaster under new management, and SFGAm has had a coaster removed with SFGAdv technically having two removed. As for the others, I don't even see how they can be argued as unfair.

It just amazes me how you make $50 for a season pass to a park that has such high caliber rides and a major water park seem so ridiculous. Since '98, SFA has recieved a GCI woodie, a Vekoma Flyer (was a big deal back then), a Premier LIM bowl, a Vekoma Invertigo (was a big deal back then), a kiddie coaster, and an Intamin hypercoaster. Compared to many other parks, SFA has hardly been neglected.

Just give the "new" management time. I'm sure you'll be taken care of sooner than later.

Besides, where else can you find ANY park that offers a season pass for $50?

ok, I'm sorry; but does anyone else find the name "Wild Wedgie" to be wildly funny? Sorry, had to put that out there...

Looks like a good idea. I bet these are cheap and low maintenance. I wonder why they havent caught on with smaller-scale water parks? Like maybe putting one in a really ritzy country club or a big public pool or etc. I'm sure there are alot less ways for people to get hurt or fall off them

then again...maybe not

It just amazes me how you make $50 for a season pass to a park that has such high caliber rides and a major water park seem so ridiculous. Since '98, SFA has recieved a GCI woodie, a Vekoma Flyer (was a big deal back then), a Premier LIM bowl, a Vekoma Invertigo (was a big deal back then), a kiddie coaster, and an Intamin hypercoaster. Compared to many other parks, SFA has hardly been neglected.

Since 98, but how about if we say from 2002 (a good 6 years). What have they recieved? A spinning raft ride, a water park retheme, and 3 water slides (including this one). Oh and they reopened one of their troubled water rides. That's it.

Look at these 3 maps from themeparkbrochures (01, 04, 07)

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/2001/sfa2001.html

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/2004/sfa2004.html

http://www.themeparkbrochures.net/maps/2007/sfa2007.html

Not much different. Lately SFA has been neglected from a major attraction and has had 3 of the past 6 years new attractionless.

^Yeah, but my point is, look at the parks that ARE getting something this year or last year, particularly the THBS additions like SFStL, SFDK, SFFT, and SFOT. SFOT's last coaster was 2001. SFStL was 2000, as was SFFT. SFDK had a used coaster in '03 that closed after '04, so before that, it was 2001.

And even if it the last coaster for SFA was in '01, $50 for a season pass is still ridiculously good, especially given the ride collection despite none of the coasters being really new.

BatwingFanSFA speaks...

Hmmm.... going the way of AW and GL. Your predictions they weren't going to add anything new this year were on target as well.

I'm glad that Six Flags America is getting the Tony Hawk's Halfpipe for next season: I'm hoping that will ease the long lines for the Tornado and increase their water park side in popularity and capacity.

Still, I wish the park was getting more for the amusement side to compersate for the flat rides they taken out. Another flat ride would be at least welcomed. Then again, the amusement side needed some fixings to help improve the park that may have cut into overall budget, thus preventing any new attractions.

Oh well, maybe next season.

I'm glad that Six Flags America is getting the Tony Hawk's Halfpipe for next season: I'm hoping that will ease the long lines for the Tornado and increase their water park side in popularity and capacity.

Still, I wish the park was getting more for the amusement side to compersate for the flat rides they taken out. Another flat ride would be at least welcomed. Then again, the amusement side needed some fixings to help improve the park that may have cut into overall budget, thus preventing any new attractions.

Oh well, maybe next season.

Well 2009 will be their 10th year as an SF park so maybe they've got something planned for the theme park but I sure as heck have no plans to visit in 2008.I simply could care less about what the water park gets because I don't go into that section of the park & now that SFOT's coaster drought will be broken(their last coaster was Titan back in 01) it leaves SFA as the ONLY branded park that hasn't recieved a coaster since then I think the park is long overdue for a new coaster or flats package but I doubt that corporate cares enough to make such an investment & once again I see the park as being in danger of going the GL route as a result.

My opinion, if they were going to just sell the park for the land, they would have done so already. The park has made/is making some considerable investments in the non-ride department that couldn't be re-couped if they just sold the park for land. For example, they spent $1 million in improvements to Skull Mountain (or the ride formerly known as "Typhoon Seacoaster"), they're building a new 4,000 sq ft HR building, they've painted countless rides and buildings, they spent a considerable amount on a new park wide sound system last year, as well as countless smaller projects. Add a new flat or a new coaster and it's not unreasonable to just pick the ride up and move it to another park if you want to sell the park for the land. Additions like SFA has made over the past couple years simply cannot be "picked up and moved to another park" if they were going to just sell the park for the land. While a new sound system or a new HR building are hardly marketable additions, they are necessary to the internal improvement of the park, and right now, more than anything, SFA has to improve its foundation before it can start building on it's ride offering.

Ok, I've seen these SlideWinders Advertised for years now in Industry Publications, and to me they don't seem all that exciting. Are they fun at all? I've never been on one, however parks keep building them...to me in a way its a cheaper substitute for a ProSlide Tornado.

^Funny thing is, SFA already has a ProSlide Tornado. I think they are adding this slide as almost a compliment to Tornado as Tornado easily has the longest lines in the entire waterpark (often the longest lines in the entire park). Tony Hawk's Halfpipe will also provide single rider version of the experience you get on Tornado... I know I've seen several people not in groups that were dissapointed when they found out they could not ride Tornado as a single rider.

Ugh just another pointless low capacity single slide. We need some sort of slide complex like Geagua Lake has.

Or some sort of coaster...It's been 7 years! And they're all broken anyways.

Sorry SFA, KD gets my Season Pass this year.

Yeah,I've been a pass holder since 1998(the final season of the park when it was known as Adventure world) & back then they were doing much better than they have since premier was dumb enough to purchase SFI from Time Warner.....which BTW was done because TW got int oserious trouble by neglecting SFOT & SFOG in the mid to late 90's by refusing to add new rides simply to lower the property values of the t wo parks.

If SFI under Burke's control had taken care of SFA's infrastructure needs,say five years ago instead of going on a coaster building spree at SFMM,SFGRADV & SFGRAM every other season then maybe those problems could've been fixed resulting in a better park but obviously they didn't.

Now since the theme park side of the property is basically getting the shaft(for the fifth year in a row) in terms of new attractions & with the park's 10th anniversary as an SF park in 2009 does anyone still hold out any hope of getting something worthwhile on that side of the park by then?

Honest question here. Do you think they're pulling another Geauga Lake with SFA, by growing the water park side? If so, could this be a counter measure to the Fredericksburg Kalahari opening up?

I went several years ago (86-89)when it was Wild World, and the water park was pretty fun, but we didn't do the amusement park side and, though it had Wild One, it looked ho-hum.

Just random musings.

Honest question here. Do you think they're pulling another Geauga Lake with SFA, by growing the water park side? If so, could this be a counter measure to the Fredericksburg Kalahari opening up?

I went several years ago (86-89)when it was Wild World, and the water park was pretty fun, but we didn't do the amusement park side and, though it had Wild One, it looked ho-hum.

Just random musings.

I think that they

re over expanding the waterpark because it's much cheaper to build a 2 million dollar waterslide than say a 5 million dollar spinning coaster,or even a simple flat ride.If this trend continues I truely see SFA going the way of GL in a few years time.

Shapiro is no better than Burke,in fact he's just as bad if not worse because,like Burke he seems to be playing favorites while leaving the other parks....parks like SFA that need improvement in the way of new rides to rot.He seems to favor SFNE the most because he has family that lives up there.Ever notice that,like last year(2007) the three parks that got wiggles world them areas(SFGRAM,SFGRADV & SFNE are the same three parks getting dark knight mouse coasters in 2008?

Now I'm hoping & praying that,for SFA's 10th anniversary as an SF park in 2009 we'll get something worthwhile like a new coaster or major addition/expansion to the theme park side but I'm not all that confident that such will happen.Instead I see 09 as an off year and 2010 as just another waterpark expansion or a closure of the ride side.

I know it sounds pessamistic to think like that & I really want the park to improve so I can continue going back but I just don't see any real positives in their immediate future right now.

Just random musings.

I think that they

re over expanding the waterpark because it's much cheaper to build a 2 million dollar waterslide than say a 5 million dollar spinning coaster,or even a simple flat ride.If this trend continues I truely see SFA going the way of GL in a few years time.

Shapiro is no better than Burke,in fact he's just as bad if not worse because,like Burke he seems to be playing favorites while leaving the other parks....parks like SFA that need improvement in the way of new rides to rot.He seems to favor SFNE the most because he has family that lives up there.Ever notice that,like last year(2007) the three parks that got wiggles world them areas(SFGRAM,SFGRADV & SFNE are the same three parks getting dark knight mouse coasters in 2008?

Now I'm hoping & praying that,for SFA's 10th anniversary as an SF park in 2009 we'll get something worthwhile like a new coaster or major addition/expansion to the theme park side but I'm not all that confident that such will happen.Instead I see 09 as an off year and 2010 as just another waterpark expansion or a closure of the ride side.

I know it sounds pessamistic to think like that & I really want the park to improve so I can continue going back but I just don't see any real positives in their immediate future right now.

SFA has internal issue to deal with before they introduce another big roller coaster into the park and that's why SFA is doing all that this year. Also, you do remember peopel that last year they sepnt 1 million on restoring Skull Mountain. And for next year they play on having ALL rides reliably operational. So NO there is no Geauga Lake thing going on, the park just has other things to focus on year besides adding new big rides. Also, the waterpark gets ALOT of traffic during the summer to it absolutely makes sense to keep expanding it.

Just random musings.

I think that they

SFA has internal issue to deal with before they introduce another big roller coaster into the park and that's why SFA is doing all that this year. Also, you do remember peopel that last year they sepnt 1 million on restoring Skull Mountain. And for next year they play on having ALL rides reliably operational. So NO there is no Geauga Lake thing going on, the park just has other things to focus on year besides adding new big rides. Also, the waterpark gets ALOT of traffic during the summer to it absolutely makes sense to keep expanding it.

Well along with their internal issues they really need to focus on some of their external ones like replacing the rides they've removed with something other than green space(Terry Prather,the new GM @ SFA was famous for doing just that at SFNO).I would start by gettin rid of flashpass & the mandatory lockers first.

SKM should just be removed as it's still a maintenance nightmare even after all the capital they sunk into it last season in a noble but futile effort to improve it's operations & reliability.

• 4 months later...

With the new slide, Tony Hawk's Halfpipe opening in about 4 days, I was wondering, who is planning on being there? I am planning on going there, but I have other plans

If anyone is going to go, please take pics. I'll see if I can get some pics in when I finally go sometime next week.

For those of you that know nothing about Tony Hawk's Halfpipe (THHP/THH) it is a "slide with no sides" themed as a skateboard ramp at a skatepark. SFA hasn't yet added any theming to the slide but has mentioned it on the blog.

Also you can talk about the good things about SFA. If you have no good memories about the park, keep it to yourself

Here are two recently added pics of THHP on the SFA blog.

[/img]

Halfpipe_21.jpg.a8a2f8f0831bfc96f4d3c3a95f619560.jpg

Halfpipe_22.jpg.061d2ce9fd5b153f97cb813573a2c4a6.jpg

Edited by larrygator

sounds typical to me...

Six Flags needed to put something in SFA to maybe improve attendance and revenue, so they throw in a water halfpipe with no theming and toss Hawk's name on it to catch an eye.

This looks like pre-Shapiro Six Flags. But then again, who cares about SFA?

sounds typical to me...

Six Flags needed to put something in SFA to maybe improve attendance and revenue, so they throw in a water halfpipe with no theming and toss Hawk's name on it to catch an eye.

This looks like pre-Shapiro Six Flags. But then again, who cares about SFA?

I personally found this to be a bizarre choice for this particular waterpark as a Proslide Tornado already exists there. Seems as though the "back and forth" halfpipe motion already exists.

Also, unless I'm missing something, "Hurricane Mountain"- the original waterslide complex of SFA's Waterpark is SBNO as the new Tony Hawk slide blocks access to Hurricane Mountain's entrance, and the old slide complex is no longer on the park's list of attractions or website (despite being clearly visible from within the dry park).

Shame, as the old slides were funky and unique tube slides that sadly had a poor design requiring each individual slide to have their own lifeguard (they drop off of four individual platforms). Surely a staffing issue as the new slide won't need more than a total of two lifeguards.

-Mark