Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

P. 329: Newest Steel Curtain construction photos posted!
Users viewing this topic: xChris125x and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:16 am

Guess we'll all find out soon enough. :)
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

The Resident Smart-Ass

Kennywood Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterFanatic » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:05 am

Link to official Press Release
http://www.kennywood.com/docs/12.11.07KECNewChapterRelease.pdf

New Chapter in Kennywood Entertainment History Announced

PITTSBURGH, December 11, 2007 ? Kennywood Entertainment of Pittsburgh announced today that it has entered into an agreement to sell its amusement park holdings, including Kennywood in West Mifflin, PA, Idlewild & SoakZone in Ligonier, PA, Sandcastle Waterpark in West Homestead, PA and New England parks Lake Compounce Theme Park in
Bristol, CT and Story Land in Glen, New Hampshire.

Kennywood Entertainment has been a closely held family business since F.W. Henninger and Andrew McSwigan purchased Kennywood Park from the Monongahela Railway Company in 1906. The Henninger and McSwigan families, now in fourth and fifth generation, have remained owners for over 100 years.

Acquiring Kennywood Entertainment is Parques Reunidos, based in Madrid, Spain, an international operator that manages 61 amusement, animal and water parks in the U.S. and Europe, with total annual visitors exceeding 22 million and revenues exceeding $570 million.

Parques Reunidos, with the financial backing of the Candover investment fund, a private equity investor in London, approached Kennywood with a purchase offer as part of their plan to consolidate family entertainment venues around the globe.

?The Kennywood experience?as visitors have come to love and expect?will continue. Nothing will seem different, even to the folks working at the parks. Existing management and staff will remain in place,? said Harry Henninger, Chairman of Kennywood Entertainment.

?In recent years, we've had talks with other operators wishing to acquire us, but Parques Reunidos is the first one to share our vision and philosophy.?

"We have tremendous respect for the work of the Kennywood management team and are delighted to acquire such a quality organization,? said Richard Golding, Chief Executive Officer of Parques Reunidos. ?They've built Kennywood Entertainment into an industry leader in family entertainment. We are anxious to continue the gold standard of entertainment they have established."

?Richard Golding recognizes and appreciates the deep affection that all of the Kennywood properties enjoy with their communities,? said Peter J. McAneny, Kennywood Entertainment President. ?They intend to preserve these connections and build upon the history and tradition existing at each of the parks." Henninger added, "This has been a very difficult decision for members of the founding families, now numbering over one hundred and residing all over the country. All of us are tremendously proud of what we created with Kennywood Entertainment. It has truly been a magical ride, managing Kennywood, starting Sandcastle, expanding and improving both Idlewild and Lake Compounce.?

A March completion date is anticipated. The agreement is subject to satisfactory completion of due diligence inquiries by the parties. The purchase price is not being disclosed.

I think I am going to go cry now.
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:28 am.
Reason: Modified to become Official Discussion
Ted

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby raptorcrew2002 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:08 am

What... :(

Better make sure I hit it this year before god knows what will become of it.

That sucks, but hope I'm proven wrong.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:11 am

It would be sad to see this truly funky, excellent park go corporate, but time will tell.

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:22 am

It's always sad to see tradition end like this, especially after a century of family onwership.

Parques Reunidos have quite a diverse portfolio of attractions. Parque De Attractiones Madrid, Bobbejaanland, Mirabilandia, Parque Warner Madrid, Bonbonland, and they also acquired Tusenfryd in November. I've been to a few of those parks and from what I've seen they look really good and are run really well. Concrete and trashcans certainly dont appear to be on the agenda.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby coaster05 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:25 am

The three I have been to by this company were very nice, but not the best capacity. I am shocked and saddened by this information.

AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:33 am

Oh well, at least it isn't like 10 years ago when Six Flags took a bid at the park. I think that would have been a worse fate.

Its still sad, Kennywood was such a charming park to visit on the Midwest trip and the management there was really nice to our group. Here's hoping that Kennywood's new owners don't rip out the charm...
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby markalan928 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:34 am

The article has been updated with additional information.

Included in the deal are Lake Compounce Theme Park in Bristol, Conn., and Story Land in Glen, N.H.

The purchase price is not being disclosed, according to a news release.

Kennywood Entertainment has been a closely held family business since F.W. Henninger and Andrew McSwigan purchased Kennywood Park from the Monongahela Railway Co. in 1906. The Henninger and McSwigan families, now in fourth and fifth generation, have remained owners.

Parques Reunidos, based in Madrid, is an international operator that manages 61 amusement, animal and water parks in the U.S. and Europe, with total annual visitors exceeding 22 million and revenues exceeding $570 million.

Parques Reunidos approached Kennywood with an offer as part of their plan to consolidate family entertainment venues around the globe.

"The Kennywood experience -- as visitors have come to love and expect -- will continue. Nothing will seem different, even to the folks working at the parks. Existing management and staff will remain in place," Harry Henninger, chairman of Kennywood Entertainment, said in the news release.

"In recent years, we've had talks with other operators wishing to acquire us, but Parques Reunidos is the first one to share our vision and philosophy."

Mr. Henninger added, "This has been a very difficult decision for members of the founding families, now numbering over 100 and residing all over the country."

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:42 am

Existing management and staff will remain in place

This makes me feel a little better, but only a little.
Ted

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Johnny Upsidedown » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:46 am

Wow, was there any talk of the parks being sold or did this fly under the radar. First I have heard of the sale. I wonder if they decided to give up after problems arose with Kennywood getting the extra land and the highway extension. I wonder how it will affect the park in the long run. I hope they will take good care of the park.
Johnny Roller Coaster Website with Roller coaster related: events, trip reports and construction photos. http://www.Johnnyupsidedown.com
Manta Construction http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta.html

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!