Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Jive » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:52 am

^ I think that you need a ^^ instead of a ^ ;)

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby errtyme » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:14 am

This swing fits perfect with SDC in my opinion.
I can't wait to make my yearly trek down there to ride it!

Clay "more people than the GP are eating it up, haha" Lamanske

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:40 pm

thrillrideseeker wrote:Ok...I use to like the idea of this ride, but now that I have seen pictures of it acutally working it looks really small to me. IMO it was a waste of money. They should so have built an S&S Drop Tower instead.
~Matthew

That's the craziest thing I've heard in awhile. How big did you expect it to be? It looks huge to me, and it holds 32 people at one time. The swings look great, 120 degrees out over a hill side is as good as it gets. Besides, an S&S drop tower would be considerably smaller, not to mention much less thrilling.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby RollerC » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:56 pm

thrillrideseeker wrote:Ok...I use to like the idea of this ride, but now that I have seen pictures of it acutally working it looks really small to me. IMO it was a waste of money. They should so have built an S&S Drop Tower instead.
~Matthew
Have you even ridden a screaming swing? I can tell you haven't.

Idiot.

Media Day Photos

Postby Swoosh » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:24 pm

Had a very chilly day for media day, but it finally warmed up enough to get some rides in. The park gave a presentation in the new section and then fed up us a brunch of World Cuisine (I love SDC food). Then they gave us VIP seating at some of their new shows for World Fest.

Previews below, the entire update is at MiG
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/media/swing/
1.jpg
main icon sign with World Fest Flags
3.jpg
Lisa Rau addressing the media
16.jpg
photos from High-Low Silo
32.jpg
food from brunch -- this is the Chicken Wellington and it was wonderful
37.jpg
Zunyi Acrobats
38.jpg
Luau show

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:32 pm

Still amazed at how good this turned out. In the end, did they ever have to move some of the train tracks? I still can't imagine how all this fit in there; from what I saw last year it looked like they would have trouble just fitting in the swing, but I guess there's obviously more land there than I ever thought.

Idiot.

Postby Swoosh » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:17 am

No the train tracks are still where they have always been. The only thing they had to move was the robbery.

SDC/CC 08 Additions

Postby Shavethewhales » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:45 pm

At Coaster Christmas, it was apparently announced that SDC will not be getting a new ride for 2008, but will get a new culinary arts/ crafts demonstration building that will host various craft shows and cooking classes.
SDC will also be getting a new parking lot addition, and the road that currently flows through the lots will be redirected, so we won't have to deal with so many traffic jams.

CC will be getting Geauga Lake's old Shipwreck Falls. Apparently it may be put in the current employee parking lot rather than take the place of the existing flume ride, so that the park will have two water rides.

Construction has already started on the craft barn at SDC, midwestinfoguide.com has some photos. Don't be fooled though, the area is actually much bigger than it seems in the pictures.

My thoughts - I'm happy that SDC is starting to remember that other people besides thrill seekers go to the park as well, and I'm really glad CC is getting a 'big' new ride, but I can't help feeling that 2009 can't come soon enough.

I'm just a stupid ban evader

Postby iWOF » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Work Begins on Splash Battle at SDC

Postby Shavethewhales » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:51 pm

A wall has appeared around the favorited old Tom Sawyer's Landing area at SDC, complete with teasers of a wet ride to come. You can see some photos of it here: http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?id=8

The Balloons and the carousel currently residing in the area are set to move out to the Grand Expo, close to the waveswinger.

If you think this will be anything like the Splash Battle at DW, you're wrong. DW's variation is cool, but this will be much more thematic, and IMO, will have much cooler amenities. The concept artwork (http://www.sdcfans.com/gallery.php?id=7) shows off a lot of cool stuff like a little fort jutting out into the pond with cannons sticking out of it, and I'm sure the area will be packed with all sorts of cool oddities and gimmicks like the rest of the park. In fact, the ride itself is only part of the project; with it will come a revitalization of the entire area, bringing Tom Sawyer and his companions back into the SDC scene.

I'm REALLY looking forward to see how this turns out, I'm thinking this will be a true test of SDC's brilliant thematics team, which has done some truly amazing, Disney-quality stuff over the years.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!