TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Japan Trip 2007" Thread

No, Robb, you're not insane. It does look like a model. I think it has to do with the weird depth of field effect in the picture. Usually, when you're focused on a subject as distant as the crowd at a wide angle, the depth of focus should be pretty deep. But the foreground and background are both quite blurry, as if it was taken at close range on a relatively fast aperture. Looking closely, though, I think it may really be motion blur, centered axially around the crowd, which leads me to ask if you took it from a moving vehicle (monorail)?

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, Tokyo DisneySea's tower truly is the most beautiful!

I can't wait to ride it this summer yay!

Oh, and how did you guys know how the Idol trick was done? Was the room not dark enough and just gave it away? I can't wait to see it in person... what a great trick!

^^The first time everyone saw it we were all just in awe and trying to figure out how they did it. Then the 2nd time we went through we watched very closely, and still really couldn't see it, but Robb filmed it. When we went outside and watched the footage carefully we could see what it did. So then when we rode subsequent times we knew what to watch for and you could see it.

Still though, great effect! Shiriki rules! And KidTums loves him!

ktshiriki.thumb.jpg.e9e71b7837a06e26499ca8a422bf50b8.jpg

She sleeps with him at night!

The backstory of the TDS Tower is actually more in line with the "Twilight Zone" than its counterparts in the states--it has a definite "moral" to it (that is, don't underestimate "primitive" cultures) that the others lack.

I know this is a little delayed, but I just checked out the Fuji-Q pictures and am stunned at how janky the place really is. Considering how all out they go on their coasters, you'd expect them to pump a little money into making the place look a little nicer. Shoot, some of those pictures make them place look like a glorified state fair in some ways! Really disappointing.

Theming at Disney has me blown away though.

I didn't think you could really *miss* someplace... unless you live there or something. Like, you can miss home, but you can't really miss someplace you went for a few days on a trip. You can want to go back, but you can't REALLY miss it.

But I so miss Japan.

Specifically TDR.

Off to cry myself to sleep now.

(Thanks for the update, Robb!)

I want to visit Japan so bad. I really hope to go someday, especially so I can see those cool ToT effects myself! Oh, and get me some of that popcorn. Don't they have flavors like, strawberry and apple?

Strawberry, yes. Apple, no--although that actually does sound really good.

Here's the flavors that I can remember:

Honey

Coconut

Sea Salt

Salted

Black Pepper

Curry

Strawberry

Caramel

Chocolate

Am I missing any?

Curry always had the longest line. Curry on popcorn didn't sound good to me, so I skipped it.

TokyoMouse's Tower is beautiful, and this is coming from someone who has done live theatre for years and someone who doesn't really go to parks for theming, but I digress. The blue wash at night is especially beautiful, as is the underlighting and field-washes on Aquatopia, which doesnt seem all that pointless, IMO. One of Disney's primary intents was very similar to theatre: "a willing suspension of belief." By employing things that seem random and outlandish, you end up with a microcosm of fantasy, a pocket of unreality that lasts as long as you are there.

This almost makes me want to go to another Mouse, which is substantal. I worked for the Mouse for a summer in the 80's (read: intern by day, inebriated dork by night) and, like Holywood, all that glitters is not true starlight. But the Japanese are in control here, so I just might break my Mouse boycott.

Hope you are having a great time. My classical debut gig is in a little over 4 weeks, so I'm scarcer than Denny's with good food. Have a great time!

Scott "I wish they would make a Bullet Train Monorail just to be funny and random" Mayfield

DisneySea = best park ever! Too bad Raging Spirits was down, but I can't imagine it being any different than Indy Jones at DLPR.

Japanese TOT was excellently themed, but it didnt give as much forces or airtime as the other TOTs. The seatbelt was an over the shoulder belt, like the seatbelts in your car. If they were just lapbelts, I'm sure it would be airtime city!

wat r da new parks yall r goin 2 dis summer cuz me and muh friendz wanna do sum too wat park is this one i like it it looks kewl.

Umm...WHAT!?!!?

I really think before you post here again you NEED to read this:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31454

--Robb "Bantron is very hungry" Alvey