TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

^When is the last time those Magic Motion simulators have been used?

I remember getting on those way back in the day, there was a runaway train simulator and I think a Colossus simulator as well. I thought they were removed.

They are still alive and kicking. They dont play the "classic" films anymore. They keep with the updated films.

I went this past weekend (even stayed overnight Saturday).

The ride itself was OK...

(spoilers)

...lots of in-movie footage which is basically a shortened version of the movie. I guess I was silly for thinking maybe some unique train type footage would be used. The SETS were the best part of the "experience". Lots of giant gifts, boarding the PE also was a kick due to the sights & sounds (outside the kid's house was awesome) & getting to the North Pole was equally as nice. Complete with Christmas Tree right out of the movie and Santa with sled & giant bag of Toys.

(end Spoilers)

All in all, a good experience. Warning though, my daughter couldn't ride (and, unfortunately, she loves the movie) as the height requirement is 42" (bummer) & bring a sweater...it can get pretty cold in there. I only waited 15 minutes, but I'm sure as the month wears on, that wait time will change.

I was fortunate enough to ride The Polar Express Experience this past Friday and I was pleasantly surprised at the overall attraction.

I have always been a fan of Wild Arctic, and not so much a fan of the Christmas overlays (if any) that Orlando has recieved in the past. I have never seen The Polar Express before, so I didn't expect much on that front either.

Walking through the entrance, billboards featuring the movie's train and its journey greet you. Though the wait for the attraction seemed to have increased since the overlay was complete (but it had been a while since I had last rode the simulator). Here is where the interested part began. Entering the building, I felt like I was in a cozy home, (ending up to be the main character's house). The pre-show theater has been transformed into the title character's bedroom, with new wallpaper and a window (the projector screen). The preshow video was a re-edit of the opening scene from the film (which was about 3-5 minutes long), putting you at the point where the simulator picks up afterwards. Exiting the pre-show theater, you walk into a completely redone loading station, painted to look like you are entering a train at the train station for the Polar Express. Instantly, I noticed the smell (I believe it was pine) throughout the station- a nice added touch to the overall atmosphere. After a new loading film, we entered the "train" and my amazement only grew. The insides of Wild Artic's simulators have been completely redressed, with new paint, new colors and new lighting effects.

Rather than spoil it, I will just give a review of the film (as basic as can be). I feel that the new film was well synchronized with the simulator's motions, offering a much more tame, smooth ride than previously seen in the simulator's other versions. The film itself is only a recut of the original, with footage that can be used to simulate movement. The first half of the film was extremely well synced, with movements that felt right for such a film. The second half (arrival at Santatown) was a little less interesting, with far fewer motions made in the last minute and a half. My only real problem with the film (and it has been stated before) is that the video was partially in third person, taking away from the "you are experiencing" feeling that normally comes with a simulator.

Exiting the train, we arrive in Santatown (a redressed Base Station Wild Arctic) where Santa is there ready to take photos with his loaded sleigh.

Overall, the attraction impressed me for its unique theming and smooth motions, but I did feel that the 3rd person issue took a little away from my experience. I'm planning on going back to Seaworld again before they remove the attraction, so my review may change after this.

I was on it this past Thursday and have to agree with the good things others have said. The theming of the ride was excellent. They did a great job in just the 2 weeks they had to get things ready.

I didn't see the original movie, but understand it was just cuts from the movie. But they all seemed to work, and the ride was pleasant. Well, TOO pleasant for my tastes, because I preferred the more extreme theme it used to have, as it was my favorite for the motion simulators I had ridden in the past. Oh well.. Can't win them all! (And Kraken was down for Maintenance for 3 weeks at this time as well!) But if you want just a pleasant ride and great theming, you'll be quite happy. And your kids would be happy too. If you were looking for a more extreme ride, you'll be a bit disappointed.

• 3 months later...
New SeaWorld Orlando coaster/animal attraction revealed

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/business_tourism_aviation/2008/04/new-seaworld-or.html

SeaWorld Orlando is preparing to build a new roller coaster attraction billed as the most ambitious and largest single investment for any SeaWorld attraction.

The ride will be part thrill ride and part animal attraction — combining those elements for the pre-show queue line, the ride itself and the-post-show, said Joseph Couceiro, vice president of sales and marketing for SeaWorld’s parent company, Busch Entertainment Corp. He and other company executives revealed their plan tonight to a gathering of travel industry and community VIPs dining at SeaWorld for Busch’s kick-off gala for two other big new attractions — Aquatica in Orlando and Jungala in Busch Gardens Tampa Bay.

Few other details of the new coaster were disclosed this evening — not even a name.

The coaster is set to open some time in 2009.

No cost estimates were announced.

"What it’s going to be is the next generation SeaWorld attraction," Couceiro said. "What we do well is connect the world with the sea, presenting marine life in totally different perspectives. Also what we do well is put the guest in the midst of that. This is the next generation of that."

He and other officials were reluctant to call the ride a roller coaster, though they said it would have roller coaster components. They said the attraction will combine entertainment with education about marine life.

"It’s going to have animal components, marine life components. It will have a very unique, state-of-the-art ride, a roller coaster if you will, that will provide a sensation of gliding," Couceiro said. "And the combination of the animals and the ride is what makes it special."

SeaWorld began clearing land for construction this winter. The ride will go into the area formerly occupied by a flamingo habitat exhibit, a backyard habitat exhibit, other small exhibits and a gift shop.

The attraction's primary construction site, shown in the above photograph shot Monday from SeaWorld's Sky Tower, is situated between SeaWorld's Dolphin Nursery (under the blue roof in the lower left corner) and the Whale & Dolphin Theatre (in the upper right corner.)

Some great news for Seaworld Orlando!

Edited by larrygator

Wow, well I guess this project will include a lot more than simply a coaster? If it's a B&M flyer it sounds like it will be very family oriented, more like an "Air" type of ride.

"reluctant to call the ride a roller coaster".....?

I don't even know where to start with that statement.....

While I'm excited about this next new coaster, (I've always considered Kraken & J2A two of my favorite ride experiences), I keep thinking that were gonna be doing a dive somewhere during the ride that's gonna involve us passing by a tank full of dolphins. I don't know where I got that idea?

At the very least, the lines will probably have large aquarium areas full of sealife to pass the time while you wait. Still though, love the coaster!

He and other officials were reluctant to call the ride a roller coaster, though they said it would have roller coaster components. They said the attraction will combine entertainment with education about marine life.

Is it possible that the whole B&M Flyer rumor could be totally wrong and this could end up something more like Mummy meets sea creatures?

I would prefer the Orlando area to build some unique, different stuff not just more B&Ms.

I'm glad that Universal went with something different and not just a B&M Hyper like Hollywood Dream for their new coaster.

--Robb

i wonder if it will have a dark ride park to the ride

its possible

im glad were (hopefully ) getting a flyer

the closest one is in Atlanta

but i loved superman...isn't the ride site pretty big at seaworld?!?

flying through a shark tank would be cool

^^^Now that you mention it, wasn't there a rumor a while ago that Sea World was looking into building something like ROTM? That rumor was eventually pushed out by the seemingly more likely B&M pushed by Screamscape and Jim Hill, but the wording of this press release could mean a lot of things for this project.

What if it's something from S&S? Don't they have that new noninverting coaster with the cars suspended from the sides - but the car barrel rolls over the track and even incorporates a water splash?

Whatever it is, I'm sure Sea World will do a good job integrating it into their park.

I'm thinking like Robb...it could be a Mummy with sea creatures.

Then again, it could be a coaster. As you go up the lift hill, you see sea creatures around you and a voice from the speakers tell you about them.

No large park in their right mind would buy an S&S ride. Not because they're bad rides, but their capacity would be a nightmare.

"Don't they have that new noninverting coaster with the cars suspended from the sides" (UberBeavis)

I believe you're thinking of the Crazy Canoe.

Again---capacity nightmare.

They already have a B&M floorless, so a B&M flyer makes sense.

Eric

I would prefer the Orlando area to build some unique, different stuff not just more B&Ms.

I'm glad that Universal went with something different and not just a B&M Hyper like Hollywood Dream for their new coaster.

I think I may have said this in another thread, but I totally agree with this. B&M today is the same as Arrow was in the early 90's. Every park had one. It gets tired. With the exception of Flyers (to which I haven't ridden yet) every B&M is more the same. We're getting to the point that every state with a park has at least one.

They already have a B&M floorless, so a B&M flyer makes sense.

Eric

While I agree it's probably a B&M, I don't think you can use that argument, especially when Universal just down the street chose to go with a different company even though they have several B&M's and just bought two Premier Coasters.