TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Japan Trip 2007" Thread

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Yeah, TDL or Disney Sea has NOTHING on that amazing display of theming!

I will admit it was badass when the clouds parted and we could actually see Mt. Fuji for a couple of minutes. But I could have sat out in the parking lot in a rusty lawn chair and awaited that moment, and had equally if not more fun.

Sorry if I'm really ragging on the place, but the majority of Japan parks are so much fun and so cool and FQ has potential, but the way it's operated totally kills it. I had fun because of who I was with, not because of the park. Ah well...

dt

^ Yeah, pretty much. I've been to about 50 parks that have similar back drops or scenery.

That first picture looks like it could be Knoebel's. Yeah, seeing Mt. Fuji behind the park is cool, but any other direction isn't very impressive, IMO.

If you want to talk *IMPRESSIVE* backdrops for parks....

--Robb

I must be the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to Fuji Q!

Went 2 weeks after you went and the park was like this: EVERY rides except Dodonpa and Eejanaika were walk on or 5-10 minutes waits.. Yes, even Fujiyama! Unfortunately, the Hamster coaster and Haunted hospital walkthrough never opened that day. It was cloudy all day, so I didn't see Mt. Fuji.

Agree about everything about Eejanaika. Horribly slow line (but hey, I only waited an hour!) and the most violent ride I have been on. Dodonpa on the other hand... I liked it! When I got out of the ride, the ride was a 2 hours and a half wait and it never went down after that. The launch is insane and the airtime ridiculous... It was a 45-60 minutes wait all day, except for a 3 hours breakdown, where we were forced to wait 45 minutes for all the "exit passes" to get through the ride.

The credit card thing was weird! I wanted to buy my on ride photo and a T-shirt from Dodonpa... but, no credit card and I never found an ATM that accepted my credit or debit card in the park.

It was actually Tasmanian Devil Studios. It's a very small area of the park themed to Looney Tunes.

I actually totally forgot about that! I don't even think there was a ride in that area. You litterally went through, saw a couple of Looney Tunes statues, a shop or two, and that was it.

I remember thinking WTF?

At least the Hamtaro section had the hamster coaster!

--Robb

I think the water pedal boats thingy was supposed to be Loony Tunes themed?

We must have had a luckier run line wise when we went through FujiKyu.

1hour for Eejanaika

45mins and 30mins for Fujiyama

Although still copped a 2hour earful of Do-Don-PAAHHHHH

We wanted to do the haunted hospital walk through however it was 1:30hour wait in line, then apparently 40-60min to complete it. o.O

That evening the missus and i sat out on our balcony at our hotel and watched Mt Fuji as the sun disappeared <3

I must be the luckiest guy in the world when it comes to Fuji Q!

Went 2 weeks after you went and the park was like this: EVERY rides except Dodonpa and Eejanaika were walk on or 5-10 minutes waits.. Yes, even Fujiyama! Unfortunately, the Hamster coaster and Haunted hospital walkthrough never opened that day. It was cloudy all day, so I didn't see Mt. Fuji.

Agree about everything about Eejanaika. Horribly slow line (but hey, I only waited an hour!) and the most violent ride I have been on. Dodonpa on the other hand... I liked it! When I got out of the ride, the ride was a 2 hours and a half wait and it never went down after that. The launch is insane and the airtime ridiculous... It was a 45-60 minutes wait all day, except for a 3 hours breakdown, where we were forced to wait 45 minutes for all the "exit passes" to get through the ride.

The credit card thing was weird! I wanted to buy my on ride photo and a T-shirt from Dodonpa... but, no credit card and I never found an ATM that accepted my credit or debit card in the park.

I went to Fuji-Q about two years ago and had the same luck! It may have had to do with the fact that I went on a Tuesday during the off season so the crowds were not too bad. What day did you guys go?

I also really liked Dodonpa as well! Some people dislike the fact that the launch is so intense, but I thought that was what made it awesome! I've never felt so much power on a coaster before!

So judging by the wait times & looks on everyone's faces I'm guessing that they don't have an express pass of any kind I'm going on the Tokyo 2008 trip and since I've never been, oddly enough I am looking forward to Fuji-Q. I'll be satisfied riding Fujiyama, Dodonpa, & Ejan but idealy would like to gain all if not most credits in the park. I'm guessing now that this may be a long shot, but do you think chances are looking up to get at least the 3 big credits? I will have to keep my fingers crossed. Great TR...it's so decieving, Ejan looks so new and like it actually would be smoother than X. But after watching the video that theory was prooved wrong.

Ok so what this update has really failed to capture is the absolute torture that was the Eejanika and Dodonpa queue lines.

The Dodonpa line is enclosed, and there are speakers that constantly chant "Do.. don.. pa.. Do.. don.. pa" over and over and over and over again. It doesn't stop. EVER.

The Eej has an equally annoying african style chant that just screams "Eeejanika Eeejankika Eejanika Whooooaa". This also DOESN'T stop. Even when we were in the line for 3 HOURS and it broke down, the bloody music STILL KEEPS GOING!

It was amusing for my to sing along to it for an hour or so much to the thrill of Lou, but even I lost interest. We resorted to being antisocial and listening to our iPods - I got myself through four entire albums in that queue line.

You don't need to go in the park's haunted house for torture, just stand in a line...

Do..don..pa... Do.. don... pa..... I'm gonna sue in a few years for mental anguish caused by those rides

I read Robb's report and the report on coasterforce.com about Fuji Q. Both have a totally different opinion about the park. Robb finds this park 'one of the worst parks in the world'. Coasterforce has a totally different opinion about it: ''a fantastic park". I also see many different opinions about this park in this thread.

Some are calling this 'a great park' and others just want to see it burning down to the ground. How come? Different taste of amusement parks? Well I thiks it's all based around luck. Rob visited Fuji Q on busy days. Waiting lines came up to 2.5 / 3 hours, wich totally sucks arse. It exposes one of the flaws this park has, leaving Robb with a bad opinion about this park. He thinks most rides suck as well, being rough as hell.

Coasterforce has a rather positive opinion about the park. I didn't see any bad word about qeueu lines, except for the lines at Fuwa Fuwa (that impossibly named cute inverted coaster). They also say this park has many world class rides. Quite a different opinion than Robb's and most people here at themeparkreview.

LUCK. Pictures shown at coasterforce, show the park pretty empty, most lines didn't have any wait time. In contrast to what Robb had every time he visited the park. So what can we conclude from this?

Fuji Q has the potential to be a great park. Good rides (some people find Dodonpa rough, others think it's a great and intens ride, said that I think opinions about all rides in the park differ a lot), and if the park has no crowd, you can do most rides and have a good day. But if the park is crowded, you can see a major flaw that makes this park 'just' not the great park it can be. Lines get very long, so that you spend 90% of your time in the park on waiting in line, instead of riding. So the park has it's potential, but it could do better if they figured out the lines in some way or the other. Coasterforce people had the luck to visit the park on a empty day, Robb and the rest of you did not. End of story.

I have not yet had the chance to visit Japan (in fact, I've never been outside of Europe), so I don't have a opinion about the park or it's rides myself. All I know is that if I ever have the chance to go and visit Fuji Q, I will go on a 'more or less' empty day. To bad though that you can't really plan how busy a park will be.

Better luck next time Robb.

I have not yet had the chance to visit Japan

So then maybe you should go visit, and then come and write your obnoxious post instead of quoting someone else's opinion as a "fact"

if I ever have the chance to go and visit Fuji Q, I will go on a 'more or less' empty day....Better luck next time.

WTF does that mean dude? This wasn't a "one-off" experience I've had. I've been there more than once and I'm going back again next year. We've been there on a weekend, we've been there on a weekday, both were in the "off season." If you have some magical way of detecting when the park won't be crowded, more power to you! But I think you've read here that even on "dead days" people have waited 2+ hours for DoDonpa, and around an hour for the other 2 big rides.

THAT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE!!! Why don't people understand this? You keep saying how much potential the park has, but if it really had great operations, you wouldn't be waiting 4+ hours for the parks major coasters on a "dead day."

Our visit wasn't an exception, it was the "norm."

We have other people on this forum who went and said the place sucked ass. Sorry man, but just because one other site said it was awesome, I'm not about to take their word over MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

What day did you guys go?

Well, originally we were supposed to be there on a Thursday. But then a typhoon was due to hit that day, and knowing how Fuji-Q is in bad weather, we had to shuffle our days around. We looked at the park schedule and saw that there was a credit scheduled to be closed on the Friday (the day that Rich and some others went) and we opted for the Saturday because the weather showed as being the best that day, this is still a school day for many kids in Japan, and all the coasters were scheduled to be opened.

We knew it wasn't the best day to go being a weekend, BUT, when your options are:

1. Day where it's guaranteed rain

2. Day where a coaster will be closed.

3. Day where everything is open, but will be crowded.

We opted for #3.

Again, this was NOT my first visit to Fuji-Q. And for many people on our trip, it was not their first visit either. More people came away having a similar experience based on multiple visits as we did.

this park has many world class rides

Have you been on any of them? I STRONGLY disagree. While they may be either the biggest or only ride of it's class in Japan. I certainly have been on *MUCH* better launched coasters, hyper coasters, Wild Mice, Kiddie Coasters, Suspended Coasters, and technically 4D coasters!

Fuji Q has the potential to be a great park.

Based on what? Something you read at another site?!?!

While I have to say that *ANY* crappy park in the world can be made better by hitting it on a day where there is no crowd that doesn't all of a sudden make it a *great* park.

I completely believe that Fuji-Q has the potential to "not suck quite as much as the days I've been there", but I refuse to beleive that it has the potential to be a "great park."

IMO, Fuji-Q doesn't have anything that a "great park" would have. It doesn't have great coasters. It doesn't have great operations. It doesn't have great theming. It doesn't have great flat rides. It doesn't have great dark rides. It doesn't have great restaurants. I've "heard" it has a great walk-through, but the "not great" operations have prevented any of us from ever seeing it!

So exactly what about this park would make it "great?"

Had you actually visited the park and speaking from experience, I might respect what you have to say. Try visiting someplace and then give your opinion. Don't go off of what I say, what another site says, just go visit on your own!

--Robb

^Fuji-Q definitely cannot compare to many other Japanese theme parks, but (I know I'm in the minority here) the roller coasters there are really fun for me, which is usually my only incentive to visit. Especially Dodonpa as it was my first air launch coaster. I would recommend Fuji-Q as I have always had fun there but it is always interesting to read a second opinion of the place. At least now I know what to expect if I go to Fuji-Q and have the absolute worst day of my life!

^Fuji-Q definitely cannot compare to many other Japanese theme parks

How can you say it doesn't compare to Tokyo Disneyland or DisneySea? Or Universal Japan. IMO, those are the Japanese "theme parks" that are better than most other parks in the world. Hell, I even think Parque Espana is a much better theme park than Fuji-Q!

Outside of the Thomas area, Fuji-Q has no theming at all! Unless you consider the rest of the park is themed to an "American Cedar Fair Park."

If you are comparing Fuji-Q to other Japanese "amusement" parks, well, I can see your point if you haven't been to many other Japanese amusement parks. But I'd still rather go to Mitsui Greenland, Nagashima Spaland, Yomiuriland, Nasu Highland, Space World, and a number of others any day over Fuji-Q. Have you been to any of those before?

If you HAVE been to all those and still say you'd rather be at Fuji-Q, well, I can respect your opinion, but I'm happy you'll be one less person in line in front of me for rides like Venus, Zaturn, Steel Dragon, Pyrenees, or Big Boom!

--Robb "I have all the credits at Fuji-Q and I don't need to stand in one of those horrible lines ever again!" Alvey

And even Fujiyama with a two train operation took us over an hour to get on with a line that seemed like the SFMM Goliath crew could sweep through in about 20 to 30 minutes.

Wow! You know a park is bad when you find yourself longing for the efficiency of MAGIC MOUNTAIN ride ops.

I must say, this TR makes me feel very fortunate. I must have visited Fuji-Q on one of those rare "good" days. I got three rides on Fujiyama, three on Eejanaika, and one on Dodonpa. And I left well before the park closed. The longest line I experienced was an hour for both Eejanaika and Dodonpa. I had a couple of 10 minute waits for Fujiyama and a 15 minute wait for one of my Eejanaika rides. There is absolutely no way I would wait over an hour for any of those, let alone 3 hours! After hearing so many of these negative sentiments, I will not go back to Fuji-Q again. I would rather have my nice memory of that place than go back, stand in horrid lines all day, and join the swelling ranks of Fuji-Q haters.

-Doug

How can you say it doesn't compare to Tokyo Disneyland or DisneySea? Or Universal Japan. IMO, those are the Japanese "theme parks" that are better than most other parks in the world. Hell, I even think Parque Espana is a much better theme park than Fuji-Q!

(To Robb..) ^- Honestly i felt that even though we had to spend a good 4 hours travelling to/from and getting stuffed around by ticketers to get to Isobe for Parque Espana, the experience of that park runs rings around Fuji-Q.

With that all said however, Fuji-Q is probably one of those places that you still need to visit if you are on a "coaster trip" in Japan due to its beautiful location and unique rides (forget the queues for a moment, i dont like them =P )

As for Mr Scary Red 4D Coaster, its not sickening however pack a neck brace and wear it whilst on the ride, ESPECIALLY if you get an outside seat. My neck is still sore 6months later.

I think also its worth mentioning to people who havent been there, that whilst the rides are not "world class" their 3 main coasters have at some point held a world record for something, which to some can be driving force enough to put up with the lines and experience them for themselves.

Despite all the -ve feedback people give about Fujiyama however, its my opinion that it is the park's best coaster. Perhaps its because the line had the smallest wait time. I think i should note that when the ride had 2 trains going the line was more than twice as long as when they only had 1 train going and the line was eaten a lot quicker as well. PARADOX?!

There are a lot of ways they can improve on the park without spending a whole lot of money as well, however in order to justify the whole experience you have to talk your self in to including all the (FREE?!) environment around you that the Fuji Highland has to offer, such as Mt Fuji and other mountains and the lovely lake in the town, etc etc.

In summary; Fuji-Q, worth it if you havent been before, but how often do you staple your hand accidentally more than once?

Obligatory picture links below:

http://romulus.ath.cx/japan07/gallery4/target19.html <-- zomg it cant be true?!

http://romulus.ath.cx/japan07/gallery4/target95.html <-- perhaps the only reason for going to Fuji-Q; BEWB PUDDING! (NSFW)

http://romulus.ath.cx/japan07/gallery4/target131.html <-- grainy photos picture a romantic evening

http://romulus.ath.cx/japan07/gallery4/target116.html <-- this is the real reason for going to the highland!

http://romulus.ath.cx/japan07/gallery4/target141.html <-- plus, you go past this station.

As for Mr Scary Red 4D Coaster, its not sickening however pack a neck brace and wear it whilst on the ride, ESPECIALLY if you get an outside seat. My neck is still sore 6months later.

Hardly a ringing endorsement. Fujiyama is pretty good, but one visit to FujiQ was enough for me.