Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

P. 968 - Hallowscream to return this year
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:39 am

Well the ride, let alone the entire industry, has received a lot of bad publicity, so it is possible it will be removed. However, I doubt it will be, sounds like something a GP would say or a watch dog group would try to have happen, and next year, I'm sure the ride will be open.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:32 pm

What is all this talk about a new kiddy area? I go to the park many times a year (and enjoy every one of them), and have absolutely no idea what "new kiddy area" you are talking about.....

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:48 pm

OK, I'm impressed here. Earlier this year, I emailed SFKK with questions about Penguin's Blizzard River and what happened to Opryland's Grizzly River Rampage boats post Astroworld.

Not only did I get a response, it was friendly, genuinely helpful, and I tracked the boats to SFoT. I think the gentleman was Neal Thurman? In any case, that fact an average soul was listened to, AND treated well was great! (Bows deeply to SFKK staff). Well done folks and great that one of the execs is here!

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:47 am

I was really impressed with SFKK's staff when I visited last Aug. They sure went out of the way to make sure we had a really good time.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jynx242 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:27 am

^
I have to agree with Erik. The staff at SFKK was AMAZING. The park was clean, operations were great and Deluge was alot of fun. The staff at the park went out of there way to make sure that our day there was packed with fun (and lunch with Bugs and Daffy was hilarious.)

Good job - and keep up the good work. After my day there, SFKK is a park that I will definitely visit again.

Regards,

David McCollum

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby matttty » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:22 am

Out of all the Six Flags parks I have been to SFKK is in the top three for best costumer satisfaction/cleaniness. I went to a summer camp this year and we were not supposed to go to SFKK but thankfully the "detour" we took didnt work out and we wound up right next to KK and spent 3 hours there which turned out to be really fun despite what has been heard about the park. Unfortunatly we didn't ride Deluge which I heard was a really great ride :( .

SFKK- 10/10

Fire Alarm Boy!

Postby arrowfanman » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:16 am

Yep, I agree--SFKK was truly a great park experience this summer. They were SO nice to TPR and I personally really appreciate that.

Now I just cant wait for Jay's "SFMM: Do not believe all you hear" thread. ::D

-Jahan

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:32 pm

Hey there!!!

It's so cool to hear from someone who knows a lot about the buisness. SFKK is on my 'to-do' list. I've heard a lot of good things about the park and it would be so cool for you to stay on TPR.

Thanks for all the SFKK news. :b

-James Flint

We Ride with Pride

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:37 pm

Yeah, I've been going to SFKK annually for about the last decade (minus last year) and was really impressed with the changes I saw. Everything was painted, there were lots of little landscaping changes, and they got rid of that hideous path from Top Eliminator to Twisted Twins and reopened the path that goes under Thunder Run. I'm looking forward to the future changes.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:19 pm

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /711300831

Louisville News Paper wrote: A judge yesterday said he will allow Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom to begin tearing down the Superman Tower of Power, the ride 13-year-old Kaitlyn Lasitter was on when her feet were severed by a broken cable in June.

Workers can begin dismantling the ride Feb. 1, said Jefferson Circuit Judge Barry Willett.

Park officials believe the work will take about six weeks, said Carolyn McLean, a spokeswoman for the park.

The park, which is closed for the season, will reopen in April.

By that time, Kentucky Kingdom officials hope to have another ride picked out to replace the Superman Tower of Power, which is in a prominent position near the park's entrance.

"We have a pretty good idea (which ride could take its place)," McLean said, "but we're not ready to disclose that yet."

Publicity surrounding the June 21 incident contributed to poor attendance and a 46 percent profit drop last season for Six Flags, the parent company of Kentucky Kingdom.

Six Flags reported earlier this month that the 2007 season got off to a strong start, but attendance at its parks nationwide fell 9 percent in July compared with the year before because of bad weather at its Texas and Georgia parks and national news coverage of the Louisville incident.

The Superman Tower of Power, which has been shut down since the incident, lifts passengers 177 feet, then drops them at speeds reaching 54 mph.

The ride continues to bear a state seal with a stop order on it, which means it cannot be tampered with without authorization from the Kentucky Department of Agriculture, said Bill Clary, a spokesman for the department. The agency oversees the safety of most rides in Kentucky.

The agency also has control of the cable, which will be stored until it is tested by a laboratory and the incident investigation is complete, Clary said last night.

The Lasitter family sued Kentucky Kingdom on July 12, claiming it failed to maintain the ride and ensure riders' safety. The suit also sought a temporary injunction to stop the park from altering or destroying the ride or the cable.

Surgeons at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Tennessee were able to reattach Kaitlyn's right foot. Her left leg was amputated below her knee.

Attempts to reach the family for her current condition last night were unsuccessful.

On July 30, Judge Willett ordered attorneys for the family, the Department of Agriculture and Kentucky Kingdom to agree on which tests will be done on the cable and which company will do them.

Willett had set a hearing on the tests for September, but it was canceled after the parties made "substantial progress," according to a letter the attorneys sent to Willett.

It appeared at that time that the sides were close to an agreement on the tests and lab, but two months have passed with no decision. The next hearing is scheduled for Dec. 14.

Larry Franklin, the attorney for the Lasitter family, did not return calls to his cell phone seeking comment last night.

Aw, poor drop ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!