Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ad'amico2008 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:08 pm

asr wrote:At that time and Huss and Arrow had merged, but soon became seperate companies again. Arrow-Huss nameplates can be found on several early 80s Arrows I believe, such as Darien Lake's Viper.

That's why this coaster isn't painful like many of the other Arrow multi-loopers. :)

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby DRACHEN_FIRE_FAN-BOY » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:18 pm

WOW!

I wish I could find cool stuff like that!

just wow, that was great!

thanks montezooma!

... just awesome!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby wierdo135 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:51 pm

*sigh*

don't get me wrong I love how parks are today,

but back then, when parks first opened...

did you notice how they said disneyland is a great place...

now its all who has the biggest loop who has the biggest drop

rides were really great back then...

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby brandon » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Its funny how Disneyland is the only park to stay a lot like it was in the 70's in the sense of adding many thrill rides and taking away everything else. :mickey:

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:25 pm

Here are the Magic Mountain ads. These were the years that introduced the world to the Great American Revolution and Colossus. The Revolution is the ride that made me fall in love with anything and everything that was coasters!

I was only 11 years old when the Revolution opened. Two years later the park ran an essay contest called "why I want to be King of Magic Mountain" It was for kids 12 and under and the winner could invite 20 of his friends and was actually treated as the king of Magic Mountain for one day. Unfortunately I was thirteen at the time, but I wrote an essay and entered it under my younger brothers name. Well I, or he, actually won the contest. I got to be part of the group but I had to sit back and watch as my brother was treated as the King of Magic Mountain.

Enjoy what used to be LA's Giant Superpark.
Magic Mountain 3 800x600.jpg
The three coasters at the park were the "Great American Revolution" (later renamed Revolucion by six flags, ugh) Gold Rusher and the Mountain Express
Magic Mountain 1 800x600.jpg
Can you believe they actually used to feature a super round-up flat ride in their advertising? Good Times!!!!
Magic Mountain 5 800x600.jpg
Colossus makes its debut. The original version of the ride featured some great negative g's
Magic Mountain 2 800x600.jpg
This is one of my favorite ads, I love how they had characters for different experiences at the park. The park was really well rounded at this time.
Magic Mountain 4 800x600.jpg
I think this is when it all started to go wrong. Well actually Six Flags when they first came in did a nice job with the park.
Magic Mountain 6 800x600.jpg
Well this is the last one, hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby deasondodger » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:25 pm

Wow great memories thanks for that. I was 6 yrs old and my grandpa bribed me with 5 dollars and an ice cream to ride the corkscrew. i really miss the old Knotts. We use to always get nervous riding the train and the stagecoach because of the robbers, and always rode the log ride first no mater when we went. My favorite rides were the soap box racers, greased lightning, xk1, and the tumblers. Its a shame that all 4 of them are all gone now.

By the way anybody notice the free parking at sea world

CHOO CHOO Ride Op

Postby lapseofreason » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:53 pm

Wow, thanks for the Magic Mountain ads, they're really interesting.... it's great to see how much effort was put into promoting the park. I love seeing how MM was in the past. Anyone have any more photos? :)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage (Mythbusters)
2008 Cedar Point Ride Op (May-September)
COASTER COUNT: 53 (42 Steel, 11 Wooden)
#53: Phantom's Revenge, Kennywood, West Mifflin, PA

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TheRealTinkerbell » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:03 am

Wow, that first ad for Magic Mountain was seriously super cool. I mean, I understand that Magic Mountain is now a THRILL park, with all of its wild coasters, but I love how back in the day it was more about family, not coasters. Spend time with your family, Rides for the whole family, a great family park, and so on. No wonder nowadays the divorce rate is going up and kids are moving out sooner! I mean, don't get me wrong, I love roller coasters and amusement parks. But the trip to an amusement park is so much better with Family. If they had more advertisements like in the 70's, I'm pretty sure Magic Mountain wouldn't have to be making up stories that it would be shutting down!

And that's all I have to say about that

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Perilous Chris » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:40 am

I remember when I was six, I used to collect theme park brochures. A few I actually still have. That picture of the Electric Rainbow, now Grinder Gearworks was in one. It was great seeing the early advertisements for Knotts, one even featuring the Fiesta Wheel.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby wood6291jp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:05 am

The Pics of SFOG from the seventies were sweet i could only imagine... the longest time ago i can think of is back before Batman and before the promenade was built, all while mind bender was still brown. The watersides where the scorcher is now is a welcome change tho.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!