TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

A couple things, a announcement was made on the blog today. For 2009, the Lincoln State Park will be renovating thier pavilion.

On Holiday World's side. Word is on Coaster Buzz that the pavilion covering th bumper boats cue is gone. I also heard that the bumper boat pond leaks allot. And since I can't fit inside the bumper boats anymore, if they are gone, alright. Still nothing on 2008's announcement on the blog. Dang you Paula, stop teasing us and just tell us.

A couple things, a announcement was made on the blog today. For 2009, the Lincoln State Park will be renovating thier pavilion.

Wow. Way to undersell a significant announcement. Just in case there are any theatre-types on this board: we've launched a national search for a playwright (and a general manager) for the 1,500-seat Lincoln Amphitheatre. The bicentennial of Lincoln's birth is in '09, so the new play will be an important part of our nation's celebration. For more info: www.lincolnamphitheatre.com.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Paula

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

'WORLD'S TALLEST WATER RIDE' COMING TO HOLIDAY WORLD

SANTA CLAUS, IN-----The world's tallest water ride will headline the expansion projects planned for Holiday World & Splashin' Safari's 2009 season.

Pilgrims Plunge, a classic "shoot the chute" ride, will utilize an open elevator to swiftly lift boats filled with riders 135 feet in the air. The boats will pause briefly and then rapidly descend a record 131 feet at a 45-degree angle, creating a wall of water splashing 45 feet high and 90 feet wide.

"We've dreamed about adding a shoot-the-chute ride for years," says Will Koch, the president of Holiday World & Splashin' Safari. "When we saw the opportunity to break the world's record and to use an open-air elevator in the design, we couldn't resist! This is a high-capacity, classic family ride with a modern twist." Pilgrims Plunge's maximum speed will top 50 miles per hour.

In addition, Koch announced the HoliWatch program, a wristband-style radio frequency identification service that will be offered free to park guests in 2009. The water-proof devices will serve as locators for families or groups who become separated during their visit.

"When parents can't find their small child, even for a few minutes, it's enough to ruin their day," says Koch. "The HoliWatch system will provide them with the most recent location of each member of their party." In addition, the HoliWatch system will include a messaging system as well as park information at the ten HoliWatch InfoCenters located throughout the parks.

Today's announcement marks the second largest expansion project in the park's 63-year history. Koch says the price tag for Pilgrims Plunge is more than half of the $8.4 million being invested in his family's parks for 2009. Other additions include more shade structures in Splashin' Safari plus improvements to the Legend Parking Lot, including an access road and traffic signal at the junction of State Roads 162 and 245 to the east of the park.

For more information click here:

http://www.holidayworld.com/new2009.html

PILGRIMS PLUNGE FACT SHEET

DESCRIPTION: Pilgrims Plunge is the World's Tallest Water Ride. A classic "shoot the chute" ride, Pilgrims Plunge will utilize an open elevator to lift boats filled with riders 135 feet in the air. The boats will pause briefly and then rapidly descend a record 131 feet at a 45-degree angle, creating a wall of water splashing 45 feet high and 90 feet wide.

FEATURES: Pilgrims Plunge takes the classic ³shoot the chute² ride to new heights. Riders in 10-person boats will first float calmly through a tunnel before entering an open-sided elevator lift. After swiftly rising to the top of the 135-foot tower, each boat will pause briefly before descending rapidly down the flume at a 45-degree angle, creating a dramatic splashdown—a wall of water 45-feet tall and 90-feet wide. On the way back to the themed station, the already-wet riders will be sprayed by geysers. Pilgrims Plunge will have "dual entry," meaning riders may enter from either Holiday World or Splashin' Safari.

TOWER HEIGHT: Pilgrims Plunge's tower height will be 165 feet.

LIFT HEIGHT: The height of the open-sided elevator will be 135 feet.

Riders will lift straight up from ground level to 135 feet in the air in 22 seconds, at six feet per second.

WORLD RECORD/DROP: The drop from the top of the elevator lift will be 131 feet, making Pilgrims Plunge the World's Tallest Water Ride.

DROPS/ANGLES: The elevator lift angle will be 90 degrees (straight up). The angle of descent will be 45 degrees.

TRACK LENGTH: 1,480 feet, station to station.

SPLASH ZONE: The splash created by Pilgrims Plunge boats will spray a wall of water 45 feet high and 90 feet wide.

SPEED: Pilgrims Plunge's maximum speed will top 50 miles per hour.

RIDE TIME: 2 minutes, 40 seconds (station to station).

RIDE VIDEO: http://www.holidayworld.com/new2009.html

FOOTPRINT: Pilgrims Plunge will take up an area equivalent to two football fields, placed end to end.

BOATS: Five 10-passenger boats (seating two across) measuring 15 feet in length.

RESTRAINTS: Individual, double-hydraulic valve, overhead lapbars.

CAPACITY/HEIGHT LIMIT: 960 Guests per hour. Riders must be at least 48 inches tall.

INVESTMENT: $4.3 million, the second largest ride project in Holiday World's history. Part of an $8.4 million expansion project for 2009.

RIDE DESIGNER: Intamin Ltd., Switzerland.

pp_comp_512K_Stream.wmv

pp_07_big.jpg.484c53520f6f8b62a0b985fdc32743f3.jpg

pp_05_big.jpg.c344b75054c669871147f060d6d395fd.jpg

pp_04_big.jpg.45c6c58e5bbd0c7dff391ed0960a4eab.jpg

pp_03_big.jpg.483d1403d6daceaa57831c8e599beaa2.jpg

pp_01_big.thumb.jpg.8f526f97d947d8d9ec32cc7f3116bfb6.jpg

pilgrims_plunge_hires.zip

Pilgrim's Plunge Hi-Res Art Pack

pp_schematic_lg.jpg.75879f90502e34c15db9f38047638fd6.jpg

I love the double elevator. I am sure it will be a bit unnerving when the boat tilts while going up the tower.

I am a little surprised there is no sort of splash zone, perhaps the wave is too big to make it safe.

This looks like an AWESOME ride. I don't know how family friendly this is though. It would even terrify me - and I love tall roller coasters.

Leave it to Intamin to innovate the water ride.

The HoliWatch thing looks pretty cool too. I can't wait to see how it works with message and park information, etc...

I hope the actual ride gets a bit more theming or some more action; otherwise it reminds me of an over sized "Dive to Atlantis" with an elevator lift. You know, boat just meandering a ways until it gets to the lift, drops you then meanders back. I think a little hill at the bottom of the drop like at the Dudley Doright Falls would be cute.

And we do need some observation area/splash zone too.

How about some turkeys that line the boat path that shoots water (through it's beak) on the passengers?

Terry

I'm not sure whats scarier, the height or the lift hill itself?

Looks like a solid addition, now when is Holiday World going to at least get a steel looping coaster?

As of just a couple years ago, the consensus by management was never, as they don't fit in the image of the park like wooden coasters do.

Is that beginning to change, Paula?

I'd love for them to get something like a batman clone or a smaller intamin, but I don't see it happening.

-James Dillaman