Alton Towers Discussion Thread

P. 576: The Alton Towers Dungeon teased for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby IceDragon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Oh dear... That can't be good!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby KDCOASTERFAN » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Any word on the source of the fire?

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Rob.Lloyd » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:33 pm

It started at 7:30 in the main Station where the motors are that run the cables for the whole of the Sky ride. There is also toilets under the station and I think there is also a electric substation there as well.
As the ride was closed I don't think it would be the Motors over heating and as the area was open to the public don't think someone could start a fire in the toilet with out someone else noticing.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Manny In England » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Here are some pictures I found. Doesn't look very dangerous but still very noticable at night.
sky_ride_fire_02.jpg
Later On
sky_ride_fire_01.jpg
Earlier On
Don't tell me that the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

"Deal with it f**filled with medicine and goo." - Robb addressing a technical complaint.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby browntggrr » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:45 am

Yes, I am a Browns fan, not a bandwagon Cheaters fan.
I have loved coasters since 1977, my dad took me on SDL, I was only 3.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby gax » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:33 am

This video from itv news shows what happened and gives a good idea of the damage.

http://player26.narrowstep.tv/nsp.aspx? ... EN_News_26

Apparently the cause was one of the halogen lamps used in this years scarefest.

The classic!

Alton towers announces 'Battle Galleons'

Postby dr.gumbo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:48 am

towersnerd.com/newsitem.php?id=242

Alton Towers have now confirmed to the public that "Battle Galleons" will be the new attraction debuting in the park from March 2008.

Amid a lot of speculation as to what will be featured in Alton Towers "Project Penzance" for 2008, Alton Towers have now given the first sign to the general public of what is on the way.

"Project Penzance" was first unveiled within the staff newsletter "The Source", revealing the plans to transform the Merrie England section of the park into a Pirate themed area. Rumours instantly started to spread about what type of attractions would be included and it is known that the Tea Cups will receive a new theme and that the area will feature two new rides.

The favourite for being most likely to appear was a Splash Battle ride, which features numerous 4 person carriages travelling along a track raised above water level, armed with water cannons. The aim of this type of ride is to soak other riders and also hit various targets to stop yourselves getting soaked. A perfect example of this type of ride can be found below, a picture from Legoland California:

Alton Towers recently submitted a planning application for a "new boat ride", as reported here, which was followed shortly by the closure of the Splash Kart Challenge on 11th October. Since then work has been carried out to drain the boating lake and demolish all of the existing structures in preparation of the planning application being given approval.

In a sign that more or less confirms that planning permission has been given, and also that the new attraction is in fact a Splash Battle, Alton Towers have added banners to the construction fences announcing that, "Battle Galleons" will be opening March 2008. A picture of the new banner is shown below:

Keep checking back for the latest news on Battle Galleons and any other news from Project Penzance and the rest of the Alton Towers Resort.
sbalton.jpeg

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Teonanacatl » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:00 am

First Bobbejaanland and now Alton Towers. These Splash Battles seem to conquer europe in 2008. I have never rode one, but i can imagine that once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

But i guess it still will be fun messing around with those in large groups.
"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where –" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"– so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Turtle Maker

cheers screamscape!

Postby eBen » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:07 am

Heres another link on about the same thing but a bit more

Teacups are going to be called Marauder's Mayhem, and the parks going to be re branded and beefed up with a new logo.

The classic!

Postby dr.gumbo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:00 pm

^ New logo! It better be good, I love the current one.

As for 'Battle galleons', after riding Splash battle at Flamingoland I have to say that they're nothing special. The spectators Guns are protected so you can't get them yet they can get you and even if you hit try the targets you get wet anyway, taking away the point of putting them there in the first place. So basically your left with a ride that goes at 3mph while people shoot water guns at you. Playing with supersoakers at home's more fun IMO, at least you can retaliate.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!