Photo TR: Being Chuck's Account of TPR's 2007 Japan Tour

Or, The Knucklehead Goes Abroad (The End, p. eighteen)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:43 pm

Eh.

After Splash Bandit, everything else was

redundant.

:lolr:

When that late evening deluge hit, we got soaked, even under our ponchos, AND we lost the &*^#$ monorail station in the downpour, when we exited the park. Couldn't see it through the thick rain, lol.

Ah, good times.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:02 am

gisco wrote:Whos idea was it to ride Aquatopia..... CHRIS!

Stupid Chris. I got yer Hidden Mickey right here, pal!

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:17 am

^Have pity on Chris. He doesn't have much going for him anyway. :)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:56 pm

Chapter 12: Be Prepared to See Things You’ve Seen Before, But in Japanese, Part 2—Tokyo Disneyland

A rainy night led to one rainy morning at Tokyo Disneyland. The whole place was a sea of umbrellas, ponchos, and Japanese people dressed as Disney characters—and they didn’t even work for the park. Yes, TDL allows its guests to dress up in Disney drag, so there were quite a few characters running around the park that day (in addition to TPR members, of course).

TDL is, basically California Disneyland’s younger, larger cousin. You’ll find much of what you’ll find in the States here—that is, International Bazaar (Japan’s Main Street), Adventureland, New Orleans Square, Westernland (Japan’s Frontierland), Fantasyland, Toontown, and Tomorrowland. But this doesn’t mean that TDL is just a clone of the original DL. The place is sort of a hybrid of the California and Florida Magic Kingdoms.

As for the various attractions, TDL has the Anaheim Pirates of the Caribbean (minus one drop and a skeleton scene, making it better than Florida’s but quite as good as California’s), Space Mountain (sans music), Country Bear Vacation Hoedown (in Japanese, of course), and Buzz Lightyear, but the Orlando Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, and car ride—along with Florida’s old Mickey Mouse Musical Review (in Japanese) for good measure.

And here is one thing I’d never thought I’d find myself saying: The best attraction at TDL is . . . Pooh’s Hunny Hunt! No, I’m not being sarcastic. Tokyo’s Pooh takes the two Stateside Poohs and pile drives them, body slams them, and stomps them to death—then it ties them to the bumper of its car and drags them down a gravel road before hurling them into landfill full of toxic waste. It is that much better—probably Disney’s best Fantasyland-type dark ride, with real animatronics (not fiberglass statues with movable arms). Even the diehard coaster buffs on the tour were blown away by Pooh’s Hunny Hunt.

What struck me was how the various lands just ran into one another without much in the way of transitions (they just sort of blended together), along with how much space there was between attractions. This park was obviously meant to handle huge crowds, which it certainly did while we were there. The park’s big Halloween promotion had just started, complete with an excellent “Nightmare Before Christmas” makeover for the Haunted Mansion (located here in Fantasyland) and a big parade held, it seemed, every ten minutes or so.

Overall, I loved this park, but I’m not quite as fond of it as I am of Disneyland. Maybe it’s just nostalgia for the first park I ever visited as a kid. I also thought the larger scale of TDL was a bit much (I have similar feelings about Florida’s Magic Kingdom); I prefer the cozier feel of Anaheim’s park. But that’s just my opinion.

It does have a big, beautiful castle, though.

Up next--DisneyQuest Asia?
Ch 12 01.jpg
Tut, tut! It looks like rain.
Ch 12 02.jpg
Right, Chris?
Ch 12 03.jpg
Good thing the International Bazaar is under cover.
Ch 12 04.jpg
So, we started with a little shopping. How about a nice Mickey Mouse hemorrhoid pillow?
Ch 12 05.jpg
You just can't trust TPR members with pointy things.
Ch 12 05a.jpg
Well, it's not like any of us have never been wet before--time to move out.
Ch 12 06.jpg
Yeah, I think Fast Pass might be the way to go here. (Note Jack Skellington's sleigh on the roof.)
Ch 12 07a.jpg
But that means we'll have to queue up to explore the trackless (well, tracked) void of space.
Ch 12 07.jpg
Just follow this adorable little pussy cat (Duchess from The Aristocats, I believe).
Ch 12 09.jpg
This give you an idea how close together TDS and TDL are. (No one wanted to ride the Rocket Jets--go figure.)
Ch 12 10.jpg
Everything looks blue--in space. Scientific fact, you know.
Ch 12 11.jpg
Pathetic Earthlings! Hurling your bodies out into the void, when if you knew what awaited you, you would've hidden yourselves in terror!
Ch 12 12.jpg
Hey, I have a great idea! Let's go over to DisneySea and ride Aquatopia! Whaddaya say, guys?
Ch 12 13.jpg
Two reasons why Tokyo's Small World is better than Anaheim's: 1) It's shorter, and . . .
Ch 12 14.jpg
. . . 2)It's X rated, baby!
Ch 12 15a.jpg
Time to use those Mansion Fast Passes . . .
Ch 12 15.jpg
. . . after paying our respects, of course.
Ch 12 16.jpg
The park was so busy that even the woodworking shop had a huge line--in the rain. More to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:23 pm

The super soggy fun day at TDL continues.
Ch 12 17.jpg
Even the ghosts are into pickin' and grinnin' and cloggin' and square dancin' and baccy chewin' in Westernland. Yee haw!
Ch 12 18.jpg
"Hey, white eye! Sorry about ruining your clothes with all those arrows."

"Well, I did burn yer village and kill yer family, so I reckon I had it comin'."
Ch 12 19.jpg
BTW doesn't celebrate Halloween, but the Japanese lined up for it, anyway.
Ch 12 20.jpg
Yep--that's one mighty big castle over yonder.
Ch 12 21.jpg
Some of our group thought that this BTW seemed "slow," but I liked it better that Anaheim's version.
Ch 12 22.jpg
Not even the rain can wash away the urge for curry popcorn.
Ch 12 23.jpg
A question for ye, mate: Be this California or Japan, eh?
Ch 12 24.jpg
Aye, Japan--ye can tell because our voyage be sponsored by the makers of this fine grog!
Ch 12 25.jpg
Belay those umbrellas, ye scurvy mutineers!
Ch 12 26.jpg
Aye, let's break bread and parley like good shipmates.
Ch 12 27.jpg
OK--California or Japan?
Ch 12 28.jpg
Hmm--definitely not California.
Ch 12 29.jpg
I just know that I'm going to get blamed for this. Stupid Goofy and his stupid mailbox!
Ch 12 30.jpg
My god! Those people are plunging out of control!
Ch 12 31.jpg
Must . . . reach . . . red . . . switch!
Ch 12 32.jpg
Chris got one look at Jessica Rabbit . . .
Ch 12 33.jpg
. . . and decided that he just had to "authorize" his weasel.
Ch 12 34.jpg
Yay for a Pooh ride that doesn't make you want to gouge your eyes out! It really is great!
Ch 12 35.jpg
"Pooh moaned in ecstacy when Piglet yanked on his . . ." Wait a minute! That's not from Milne's story!
Ch 12 36.jpg
Late Night Pooh Cam.
Ch 12 37.jpg
Hmm--based on this, Pooh was a member of ACE.
Ch 12 38.jpg
"Yes, this is what we think about those 'other' Pooh rides. One more set of photos to come, I think."

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 pm

The rain finally lets up--woo hoo!
Ch 12 39.jpg
Lou shows us the importance of accessorizing.
Ch 12 40.jpg
TDL's Tiki Room: Get the Fever beat the hell out of Florida's Tiki Room: Under New Management--especially in Japanese.
Ch 12 41.jpg
Well, so much for the theory of one of our tourmates that TDL's Jungle Cruise boats still had the colorful, striped awnings.
Ch 12 42.jpg
The sun sets slowly in the, er, east? (West?)
Ch 12 43.jpg
Chris says, "MY Disneyland is better." (Yes, Chris owns his own Disneyland now--he said so.)
Ch 12 44.jpg
Not even Japan is safe from the scourge of Emperor Zurg. Thank god for Buzz Lightyear!
Ch 12 45.jpg
We all agreed that TDL's Autopia-type ride kind of sucked (one of the few things that did).
Ch 12 46.jpg
But you get a nice view of Space Mountain while you wait for the station to clear.
Ch 12 47.jpg
Pixar took over the electrical parade.
Ch 12 49.jpg
Pete's Dragon even joined them!
Ch 12 50.jpg
So the Disney characters made a pact with the Horned One to reassert their supremacy!
Ch 12 51.jpg
"Garsh! Guess I'm the Master of Metal now!"
Ch 12 52.jpg
"We are the gods of hellfire! And we will bring you . . .FIRE!"
Ch 12 53.jpg
"Tee hee! That's right, folks! It sure is fun being the Spawn of Satan!"
Ch 12 54.jpg
Whew! I'm beat! But it was a great day at TDL.

Ask me about being a pathological liar!!

Postby kraken613 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:51 pm

COOL!

600th post!

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:19 pm

Great photos!

I must say, even with the large crowds and the rain, I had a great time at TDL. Thank goodness for Fast Passes! I sometimes talk smack about them, but I can also see the good side of Fast Passes.

I would hate to see TDL if we had went on a Saturday! I bet we would still have had fun.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby mightypotato » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:53 pm

Awesome as usual, Chuck. I also got a good laugh at the Engrish on that kid's shirt.

"This is big fruit. Is it very sweet?"

Awesome.
Parks: 55, Steel: 234, Wood: 72, Total: 306
I ain't afraid of no rollycoaster!

TPR makes work go faster

Postby bigstevet07 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:10 am

"Pooh moaned in ecstacy when Piglet yanked on his . . ." Wait a minute! That's not from Milne's story!

Best Caption Ever. Hands down. I bow at the feet of the king of captions. I love reading your TR's. I know I am going to have a good laugh.
I hate Godzilla! I hate him too! He destroyed cities!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive