Photo TR: Being Chuck's Account of TPR's 2007 Japan Tour

Or, The Knucklehead Goes Abroad (The End, p. eighteen)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:35 am

I loved Parque Espana! The Alice in Wonderland walk-through was a bit odd. I don't know about you, but I don't think Lewis Carroll wrote in wands and ghosts into the Alice story.

Avid 3D moive and TPR fan

Postby WDWliker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:36 pm

I haven't been on the trip, but I can tell you, that's japan. I know this because I have a dose of Katamari Damacy.
My coaster credit count(Or my CCC):4
Dude, Did you say 'Viewtiful'?

Give me Disney, or give me death!

Location: Waiting to take a bulldozer into Extreme Makeover: DCA

Postby America Sings Freak » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:17 pm

This TR is awesome!

Coaster Count: 49

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:38 am

WDWliker wrote:I haven't been on the trip, but I can tell you, that's japan. I know this because I have a dose of Katamari Damacy.

I'm sorry--is there some sort of therapy for that?

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:37 am

^Take two Katamari Damacy and call me in the morning.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:07 pm

^
Call you what?

:P
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Postby bgwfreak » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:17 pm

Domo Aragato. Mr. Roboto--- Tranlastion: Loved the TR!!

All your coasters are belong to us

Postby IwantRevenge » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:01 pm

lmao at this picture
ch_8_27_136.jpg

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Chapter 10: Well, Enough Magical Powder and You’ll See Lobster Pinocchio, too—Lagunasia and Hamanako Pal Pal

I really thought that it couldn’t get much trippier than Parque Espana. I mean, how much more psychedelic can it get than the Shining Luminous Castle Sparkling Carnival Ride and Musical Circus? I’ll be damned if both Lagunasia and Hamanako Pal Pal didn’t give it their best shot.

The best way to sum up Lagunasia is “mini-DisneySea,” thanks to its Mediterranean architecture and mostly nautical themeing. This was, outside of Parque Espana, the most elaborately themed of the non-Disney, non-Universal parks we visited. Lagunasia’s coasters were hardly among the biggest of the tour, but one of them was among the best.

Aqua Wind—This strange little coaster combined the hairpin turns of a wild mouse with some airtime and twistyness. It’s a great ride that zips around both in- and outdoors, with plenty of surprises—one of my favorite coasters in Japan.

Pirates Blast—This dark-ride/coaster hybrid is a bit on the rough side (a kneebanger, thanks to it’s cramped cars). But it’s themeing is nice and piratical--fun stuff.

Stellar Coaster—Why a kiddie coaster with whale trains has the name “Stellar” is beyond me, but the ride was OK for what it was.

Lagunasia had the best shooting dark ride of the trip next to Buzz Lightyear at Tokyo Disneyland—Fire Fire! This ride actually gives you a grade at the end. If you’re good, your car faces a cheering crowd; if you’re bad (as I was—twice), you’re jeered and laughed at by monsters (a nice touch). There was, unfortunately, a lame simulator ride (something about space bumper cars) in the same building. Legend of Labyrinth was one soaker of a flume ride—lots of fun.

But everybody on this site needs to check out the Magical Powders ride—a Disney dark ride as designed by Timothy Leary and Cheech and Chong. You tour a factory where elves make “magical powders” that can make people fatter, thinner, etc., and as near as I can tell, some crazed star-shaped stoner is the “villain” of the piece. It’s all in Japanese and makes no sense at all—you just have to see it for yourselves (like Espana’s Musical Circus).

Hamanako Pal Pal is basically an arcade surrounded by a little amusement park. In fact, like an arcade, the park is just full of random, wacky stuff, including four coasters.

Mega Coaster—This looks like your standard Togo Migraine Machine, with it’s bizarre inversions and strange, eccentric transitions. But, oddly enough, it’s OK—not all that rough.

Batflyer—This was the first time I’ve ridden one of these mini-suspended coasters. Kind of fun, but the little cars, which you have to be some sort of yoga master to mount, are very cramped.

Mini Coaster—A wild mouse with “antique cars”. OK, but nothing special.

Jungle Mouse—This rusty, rickety-looking steel wild mouse was actually kind of scary. You really wondered if it was going to hold together (nice views, though).

Togo struck again with an insane, paratrooper-like ride with seats that can spin around 360 degrees! Lots of fun (and this from a guy who doesn’t care for spinners). But, for my money, the coolest ride at Pal Pal was (for lack of a better title), the Legend of Lobster Pinocchio. This dark ride apparently came from the same folks who gave us Lagunasia’s Magical Powders ride—another whacked out excursion into cutesy psychedelica.

There was an OK log ride (with a musical fanfare that sounded like a Japanese copy of the “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” music), and a shooting dark ride.

All in all, a nice way to end our stay in Nagoya.

Up next—real DisneySea
Ch 10 01.jpg
The Japanese are very nice and well mannered--unless they really need to catch a train!
Ch 10 02.jpg
Oh yeah? Well, people shouldn't wear expensive coats if they don't want 'em burned.
Ch 10 03.jpg
Well, after fighting our way out of the train station, burning our overcoats, finding the bus, and watching Tom nearly kill himself in the parking lot, we made it to Lagunasia--an excellent little park.
Ch 10 04.jpg
The place was full of big birds . . .
Ch 10 05.jpg
. . . and hungry cats. (Angus McNasty would approve.)
Ch 10 06.jpg
OK, now where is this "Aqua Wind," wet-fart ride?
Ch 10 07.jpg
Ah ha! This be it, sez I!
Ch 10 08.jpg
Yes, we are breaking . . .
Ch 10 09.jpg
. . . like the wind!
Ch 10 10.jpg
As I recall, that Ferris wheel isn't part of the park.
Ch 10 11.jpg
Ahoy! Swabs to port, skeletonized fish to starboard, if ye please!
Ch 10 12.jpg
Aye, we're such tough pyrates, that we tattoos the concrete!
Ch 10 13.jpg
Arghh! Ye be listing to port, lubber!
Ch 10 14.jpg
Hey, Barry wasn't with me when I boarded! My god, he's developed teleporting powers!
Ch 10 16.jpg
Aye, did ye have a nice swim in the Legend of Labyrinth, mate?
Ch 10 17.jpg
I can't believe that somebody took a picture of me on the kiddie coaster!
Ch 10 18.jpg
Aw, what the hell! Whe-e-e-e! More to come from Lagunasia, then Pal Pal.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:33 pm

More Lagunasia and Hamanako Pal Pal.
Ch 10 19.jpg
Yes, we're queued up for something. For what, we have no idea.
Ch 10 20.jpg
And now, a look at just where those "magical powders" come from. Here an old stoner dude makes a toy soldier.
Ch 10 21.jpg
Told ya.
Ch 10 22.jpg
You know, I really don't need any powder to make me any fatter--donuts will do.
Ch 10 23.jpg
This ride vehicle looks like Captain Nemo meets the Muppets.
Ch 10 24.jpg
OK--it looks like the powders have definitely taken effect.
Ch 10 25.jpg
Wackiest, goofiest force of evil ever! His case of the munchies could destroy the world!
Ch 10 26.jpg
Yep--this ride calls out for a sequel. Later, Hippie Mouse Dude! And now, off to . . .
Ch 10 27.jpg
. . . Hamer . . . um . . . Hannawama . . . oh, what the banner says!
Ch 10 28.jpg
It's a big arcade . . .
Ch 10 29.jpg
. . . with an amusement park . . .
Ch 10 30.jpg
. . . on either side.
Ch 10 31.jpg
And now, Mega Coaster--the ride that wants you to know just what you're getting into.
Ch 10 33.jpg
The trains look like HR Giger creations (the man who designed Alien).
Ch 10 33a.jpg
OK so far--but these parts of Togos usually don't hurt, anyway.
Ch 10 34.jpg
Hmm--no need to reach for the Advil yet.
Ch 10 35.jpg
Even this incredibly funky element doesn't hurt--go figure. I mean, really, you should be hearing the howls of souls in torment here, but you don't.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive