Photo TR: Being Chuck's Account of TPR's 2007 Japan Tour

Or, The Knucklehead Goes Abroad (The End, p. eighteen)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:11 pm

This is exactly the kind of TR I expect from East Coast Chuck. Awesome photos with pin point satire! I love your trip reports Chuck.

I think I have a little man crush on you right now. :oops:

Alright, I'm over it! =)

Keep up the awesome work!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:58 pm

I just remembered - when we first went on the stand-up part of those "racing coasters" (wink), I remember being behind Ginny

And seeing her RISE UP in AIR TIME! :omg:

More than once!!! ::shock:: ::shock:: ::shock::

That was pretty freaky to notice, only because she couldn't quite reach the shoulder harnesses at first. But she sure did, on those hops, LOL!

:airtimer:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:26 pm

ELISSA I LOVE YOUR OUTFIT. :lover:
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Coaster Dooey » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:12 pm

Great trip report Chuck! It's bringing back some great Japan memories. :)

One thing though. I can't believe you found Bandit to be worse than White Canyon at Yomiuriland! My feelings after riding that (and even more-so after riding "Regina" at Tobu Zoo Park) were that I never want to hear a fellow coaster lover complain about Mean Streak at CP again!! You don't know what real pain is until you've experienced Japanese Wood! Regina took the title away from Son of Beast as the roughest woodie I've ever ridden. White Canyon & White Cyclone at Nagashima weren't far behind.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:47 am

^Hmm--actually, I did prefer Bandit (especially "Splash" Bandit) to White Canyon, Rich. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression, but my point was that White Canyon (ditto for Cyclone) wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe. Maybe I've just had a few rides too many on Kings Dominion's Grizzly (White Cyclone really wasn't any worse than that, I thought).

Jupiter, however, sucks.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:33 am

White Canyon was actually pretty smooth where I sat near the back IIRC. All that extra rollbar/cage padding was intimidating looking at first and prepared me for the worst, and then when it was over I was like that wasn't that bad. Not that it was great or anything, but I've certainly ridden much rougher wood...like Jupiter lol. Now that was a total letdown.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Chadley » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:28 pm

No offense to anybody else who posts TR's here, but Chuck, yours absolutely rocked! :lmao: Very funny, and complimented Japan's wacky sense of humor in their parks at the same time.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby Coaster Dooey » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:29 pm

thrillerman1 wrote: All that extra rollbar/cage padding was intimidating looking at first and prepared me for the worst

Certainly not one for putting your arms up on....unless of course you wanted to become an instant amputee! :lolr:

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:30 am

OK, I'm back from Knoebel's, so it's time again for the TR that just keeps on giving.

Chapter 6: TPR 2, Typhoon 1—Central Park, Tegarayama Yuen, and Kurashiki Tivoli Park

Mark Twain once said that everybody talks about the weather but nobody does anything about it. Well, that’s not entirely true. Elissa and Robb did manage to get everybody back to Nagoya, even though a typhoon churning up the coast did do its best to see that we’d have to spend the night in a train station.

The day started out beautifully at Central Park, yet another mass of amusements up in the mountains of southern Japan. This quirky little park had five suitably quirky coaster credits—but those weren’t what interested me the most there.

Diavlo—What’s a nice B&M inverted like you doing in a rustic setting like this? Seeing this Batman clone here was like seeing Nemesis at, say, Knoebel’s; it just didn’t seem right. But it was damn good ride, fast and forceful, so no complaints.

Labyrinth—This was a sort of Wild Mouse with mine cars. Kind of rough, but still fun (lousy color scheme, though).

Jet Coaster—Yes, another one of those enormous, rambling family coasters that in no way resemble jets in flight (or dolphins, for that matter). OK, but nothing special.

Hurricane—A loop screw that’s OK through the former, but rough through the latter. If they took out those corkscrews and put in some airtime hills, they just might have something.

Imorinth—This was a standard Wacky Worm (and credit number 200 for me).

The park also had a first-generation Intamin Freefall that appeared to themed after a rusty oil derrick (a real “tower of terror”). Remember how these rides would pause for a moment then drop you? This one just shoves you over the edge and you plunge into sheer pain.

But the coolest attraction at Central Park was the Castle Guardians walk-and shoot! Yes, you’re given a pump-action “shot gun,” and trained in SWAT team tactics. You have to blast your way through three “practice” rooms before being sent on a mission to blast aliens! (Be sure not to blast any hostages!) Then you’re assigned a rank. How many “Silver Chieftains” and “Diamond Lords” are out there?

The “Shoking” Horror Museum walk through was pretty good, too, with plenty of surprises and red buttons to push. They actually give your group a flashlight (it’s pretty dark in there), and the biggest scare is when the op reaches out to take it back from you at the end.

Central Park also had a good mirror maze and a bizarre “fortune-telling” attraction. All in all, a nice place to spend a few hours.

Tegarayama Ruen, however, looked like a good place to pass up—a water park surrounded by a small amusement park, which was closed by the approaching typhoon, thus affording no amusement at all. We did not linger long.

Kurashiki Tivoli was more like it —a beautiful little family park modeled on Copenhagen’s legendary Tivoli Gardens. KidTums got her first credit there (as many of you probably know), thanks to the Tivoli Railroad (which slower than the average Wacky Worm). Odin Express, yet another “jet coaster,” was fun thanks to its eccentric layout that shared a mountain with the park’s rather odd, bone-dry log flume (which featured a spiral lifthill out of the station).

This “family” park also featured a fairly gory haunted walk though, in which your guide was a Viking who spoke Japanese (those Norsemen really got around), and the BEST SIMULATOR EVER—Ultraman! Yes, join the Science Patrol and help this Japanese super hero keep the world safe from guys in rubber monster suits.

After Tivoli, it was a race against a typhoon. Well, there was mostly race and wait against a typhoon. Long story short, Robb and Elissa’s quick action got us back to Nagoya before all the trains shut down. (Thanks again for that, Alveys!)

Next up—déjà vu all over again
Ch 6 01.jpg
This was the day's cause for concern.
Ch 6 02.jpg
But this sleep-deprived crowd in the hotel lobby doesn't seem too concerned.
Ch 6 03.jpg
Our bus driver was so unconcerned that he didn't even bother looking for the missing "e" in "Theme."
Ch 6 04.jpg
"Bw-a-a-a-a!" to your concerns!
Ch 6 05.jpg
See? No weather to be concerned about at Central Park.
Ch 6 06.jpg
Hurricane's loop is certainly no cause for concern. (Hmm--just dawned on me how ironic that name was.)
Ch 6 07.jpg
Now you have permission to be concerned!
Ch 6 07a.jpg
Ow! Ow! Ow! Level of concern rising!
Ch 6 08.jpg
I'm Batma . . . er Diavlo!
Ch 6 09.jpg
You see? Nothing at all like Batman!
Ch 6 10.jpg
Now you may think this is some sort of wild mouse.
Ch 6 11.jpg
Actually, it's the staff's fitness trail.
Ch 6 12.jpg
This was the creepiest thing at Central Park.
Ch 6 13.jpg
Wait--I stand corrected!
Ch 6 15.jpg
It looks like Jeff really needs to find a squat toilet in this picture.
Ch 6 14.jpg
I don't have a sign, but this was credit no. 200--trust me. More to come from Central Park.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:44 am

More from Central Park (Japan, not NYC).
Ch 6 16.jpg
The Horror Museum is brought to you by Sho King--they cook their food by dragon fire! (You have to be an oldtimer to understand this horrible pun.)
Ch 6 17.jpg
We couldn't afford the Crypt Keeper, so Bill filled in.
Ch 6 18.jpg
Yes, heed this warning! I smoke, ate, and drank in this area, and look at what happened to me!
Ch 6 19.jpg
Mirrorana was the trippiest thing at Central Park.
Ch 6 20.jpg
Moe, Larry, and Curly show us the way.
Ch 6 21.jpg
And Old Man Jet Coaster just keeps rollin' a-a-a-a-l-o-o-o-ng!
Ch 6 22.jpg
Falafel does her happy dance to ward off evil, because she's about to . . .
Ch 6 23.jpg
. . . ride the Conveyer Belt of Doom!
Ch 6 24.jpg
Must . . . resist . . . bright . . . candylike . . . button . . .
Ch 6 25.jpg
Ginny is wondering just what the hell was that ride.
Ch 6 26.jpg
It's kinda/sorta a wild mouse.
Ch 6 27.jpg
This, however, is just pure evil!
Ch 6 28.jpg
You can get your fotrune told here, I think.
Ch 6 29.jpg
First, they give you this cool little skull to carry around . . .
Ch 6 30.jpg
. . . and you have to answer a lot of questions and plug your skull into this computer.
Ch 6 31.jpg
But it was all in Japanese, making it all Greek to me. Oh, well . . .

Still more from Central Park to come.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive