TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Maybe if Shapiro would actually read some of these forums, he would know what to do a little better. But, he doesn't.

I think they know more about what they're doing then you do...

What did you expect, some $20,000,000 hyper? The world doesn't revolve around you.

About the clone issue...

Remember that Six Flags parks generally serve local markets. Many of their guests have no clue that an identical ride even exists somewhere else. And if it's a good ride, who cares?

As has been said, the world of theme parks does not revolve around us. It's a business that has to please everyone.

Eric

I'd also like to touch on the clone issue...

Shapiro said when he first did a visit to New England after Red Zone LLC acquired Six Flags, that Pandemonium was the most popular attraction among groups of families. He said his kids enjoyed it as much as he did and it was a kind of ride he would want at most of his parks in the future.

Clones are cloned for a reason. The originals were very popular at the park it opened at and redistributing them at other parks usually gaurantees a similar reception from those markets -- also at a cheaper cost than a newly redesigned ride. Proven success goes a long way than spending tons of money on something new and different and having it blow up in your face.

So please, can we give the clone thing a rest? I feel like the ones that actually understand the economic advantage of these rides have to keep explaining it to those that are absolutely clueless about it every single year.

Clones in general are not a problem, but SF relies on them a little too much. It should be every park's aspiration to build something unique, or at least, a less-common clone.

Yet I don't read you b*tching about Disney's multiple Space Mountains, Splash Mountains, Big Thunder Mountain Railroads, Star Tours, It's a Small World, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Soarin' Over California, Jungle Cruises, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters, Toy Story Mania!, It's Tough to be a Bug and Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

Seems like only Six Flags gets the flack for building clones. And a clone is a clone. Don't be trying to push it to say "oh, well, but it's Disney."

Take a figgin' chill pill. You have sucessfully posted an angry, thoughtless response

Between Disneyland and Disneyworld, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Small World, TZToT, Jungle Cruize, and Buzz Lightyear are all different rides, but with the same name. Jungle Cruize, Buzz Lightyear, and Small World are similar to an extent, but the coasters and Tower of Terror are totally different.

Disneyland's Space Mountain has brande new track and trains, while Disneyworld's Space Mountain is basically the duel-sidded Matterhorn completely indoors. The Thunder Mountains has similar landscapes, but Disneyworlds is also dueling, and all 3 of their layouts are different. The Splash Mountains aren't even built by the same company, and the TZToT are two different kinds of rides!

I haven't been on Toy Story Mania, but for all you know, they could be different as well. HIStA, Soarin', and Star Tours are basically flat rides (simulators), with the same theme. Asking for these rides to be different is asking for something pointless and dumb.

Each and every one of these clones are nicely (and in some cases, beautifuly) themed, and most of SFMM's clones are themed dingily and sparingly.

You have absolutely no argument.

"Remember that Six Flags parks generally serve local markets." (Me)

That's why Six Flags can get away with identical or nearly identical rides. And, again, the only ones who care that the same ride is in multiple parks are us enthusiasts. Never, ever have I heard some random person at a park say, with disappointment, "Wow! That's just like the one at Six Flags Great Adventure."

Eric

Maybe if Shapiro would actually read some of these forums, he would know what to do a little better. But, he doesn't.

because every CEO should be coached by 14 year olds

Take a figgin' chill pill. You have sucessfully posted an angry, thoughtless response

hm. I read his post and didn't sense any anger, and there was certainly thought behind it. Maybe "those who live in glass houses..."

Try to be please be a little more adult here.

^ 14 or not, his points aren't valid. He's saying Mark Shapiro should read all of your complaints about ride clones and continue building more expensive custom rides.

Isn't that the jist of it?

Those aren't valid points. It's that kind of mindset that put Kieran Burke on the backburner with investors.

Here we go with the age thing again. He made a valid statement. It has nothing at all to do with how old he is.

You are right. They shouldn't really invest a whole lot of time in enthusiast deopinions as a whole, if you ask me - age regardless. However it is the younger crowd which seems to be more in the "RCT" mindset that you just have to add a bunch of mega thrill ris to bring the people in. Old Six Flags metality.

Clones are cloned for a reason. The originals were very popular at the park it opened at and redistributing them at other parks usually gaurantees a similar reception from those markets -- also at a cheaper cost than a newly redesigned ride. Proven success goes a long way than spending tons of money on something new and different and having it blow up in your face.

So please, can we give the clone thing a rest? I feel like the ones that actually understand the economic advantage of these rides have to keep explaining it to those that are absolutely clueless about it every single year.

Just curious how the latest announcements fit this, since the Dark Knight Mack Mouses will be costing $7 million vs. THBS's $6.5 million, not a big cost difference it the big scheme of things. TDKC's are not proven successes yet, but 3 are currently being added regardless.

No one's agruing that THBS isn't a fun ride and a good addition to any park. Just for SFOT, seems as though something like TDKC would have been a better choice considering SFFT. That way, instead of just marketing to the D/FW area, they could have tied this into the movie release and marketed TDKC to the entire state, could have been an huge turnstyle spinning promotional opportunity for SFOT. Or at the very least theme THBS to TDK instead just for the sake of something unique/marketable to the state. They obviously have the rights to theme family coasters to such, just seems as though not much thought was put into this particluar decision IMO.

For the record, I'm happy with THBS coming to my SFDK!

Not sure if this should go in the THBS thread or not, if so please merge.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4522996&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Six Flags Over Texas theme park leveled a 25-year-old ride Tuesday afternoon to make room for a new Tony Hawk-inspired roller coaster.

The 128-foot “Wildcatter” was imploded at 2 p.m. by the Dallas Demolition Company. The tall structure went down immediately, sending up a cloud of smoke.

According to a park press release, more than 17 million people had ridden the Wildcatter since it was built in 1982.

The ride was designed and built specifically for Six Flags Over Texas, the release said. It debuted as the “Texas Cliffhanger,” then changed to the “G-Force” in 1995. Finally, in 1999 the entrance to the ride was moved and it was named the “Wildcatter.”

“Tony Hawk’s Big Spin” roller coaster will take the Wildcatter’s place. Park officials said the new ride will debut on opening day of the 2008 season.

It will cost approximately $6.5 million to build, and will attempt to give riders “the sensation of freestyle skateboarding,” according to the news release.

This was probably the last one in the chain wasn't it? Or certainly one of the last. Sounds like it was the first.

What exactly was Wildcatter?

One of the last remaining 1st gen Intamin Freefalls.

Which speaking of that, how many 1st gens are left? I know there is Demon Drop at CP and Freefall at SFMM, but is there any others? Does anyone know if the one at Nagashima Spaland is still operating?

What exactly was Wildcatter?

One of the last remaining 1st gen Intamin Freefalls.

Which speaking of that, how many 1st gens are left? I know there is Demon Drop at CP and Freefall at SFMM, but is there any others? Does anyone know if the one at Nagashima Spaland is still operating?

I don't recall if the one at Spaland was operating during the TPR tour, but I did ride the one at Japan's Central Park. Ouch!

Wow, I've never heard of a ride being imploded before.

That was my first ride during my lone visit to the park back in 2005. I've always loved the Intamin 1st gen's. They throw in an extra appeal with the intense slide onto your back. It's sad it's been destroyed, but at least they are getting a fresh, fun ride.

This has to be the best demolition since Psyclone at SFMM.

Like Scott, I also think its weird how the ride was imploded rather than taken down by cranes. Oh well, implosion seemed more economically viable I guess than hiring a crew to take it down bit by bit if all SF is going to do is scrap it.