Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

P. 969 - Lone Star Revolution Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby speedracer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:54 pm

kraxleRIDAH wrote:Clones are cloned for a reason. The originals were very popular at the park it opened at and redistributing them at other parks usually gaurantees a similar reception from those markets -- also at a cheaper cost than a newly redesigned ride. Proven success goes a long way than spending tons of money on something new and different and having it blow up in your face.

So please, can we give the clone thing a rest? I feel like the ones that actually understand the economic advantage of these rides have to keep explaining it to those that are absolutely clueless about it every single year.

Just curious how the latest announcements fit this, since the Dark Knight Mack Mouses will be costing $7 million vs. THBS's $6.5 million, not a big cost difference it the big scheme of things. TDKC's are not proven successes yet, but 3 are currently being added regardless.

No one's agruing that THBS isn't a fun ride and a good addition to any park. Just for SFOT, seems as though something like TDKC would have been a better choice considering SFFT. That way, instead of just marketing to the D/FW area, they could have tied this into the movie release and marketed TDKC to the entire state, could have been an huge turnstyle spinning promotional opportunity for SFOT. Or at the very least theme THBS to TDK instead just for the sake of something unique/marketable to the state. They obviously have the rights to theme family coasters to such, just seems as though not much thought was put into this particluar decision IMO.

For the record, I'm happy with THBS coming to my SFDK! :br

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Wildcatter @ SFOT imploded today

Postby bgwfreak » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:17 pm

Not sure if this should go in the THBS thread or not, if so please merge.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/New ... geId=3.2.1

Six Flags Over Texas theme park leveled a 25-year-old ride Tuesday afternoon to make room for a new Tony Hawk-inspired roller coaster.

The 128-foot “Wildcatter” was imploded at 2 p.m. by the Dallas Demolition Company. The tall structure went down immediately, sending up a cloud of smoke.

According to a park press release, more than 17 million people had ridden the Wildcatter since it was built in 1982.

The ride was designed and built specifically for Six Flags Over Texas, the release said. It debuted as the “Texas Cliffhanger,” then changed to the “G-Force” in 1995. Finally, in 1999 the entrance to the ride was moved and it was named the “Wildcatter.”

“Tony Hawk’s Big Spin” roller coaster will take the Wildcatter’s place. Park officials said the new ride will debut on opening day of the 2008 season.

It will cost approximately $6.5 million to build, and will attempt to give riders “the sensation of freestyle skateboarding,” according to the news release.

This was probably the last one in the chain wasn't it? Or certainly one of the last. Sounds like it was the first.

Slightly racist and terrible at poetry

Postby Team Thriller » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:20 pm

That is sorta sad. But maybe the coaster will be better than the classic ride. I hope so, that would be to bad.

But the more coasters, the better!!! :b

We Ride with Pride

I'm skating on thin ice.

Postby Eric_Smith » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:25 pm

I wonder why they didn't just take it down? Why did they have to demo it?

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby asr » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:40 pm

FeelTheFORCE wrote:What exactly was Wildcatter?

One of the last remaining 1st gen Intamin Freefalls.

Which speaking of that, how many 1st gens are left? I know there is Demon Drop at CP and Freefall at SFMM, but is there any others? Does anyone know if the one at Nagashima Spaland is still operating?

My small thing speaks for itself

Postby AllenA07 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:40 pm

It looked like a first Gen freefall...

Is my assumption correct?

On the other side of the camera

Postby WillMontu » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Another one bites the dust. How's it going Joey?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:47 pm

Eric_Smith wrote:I wonder why they didn't just take it down? Why did they have to demo it?

speed factor, most likely
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:54 pm

asr wrote:
FeelTheFORCE wrote:What exactly was Wildcatter?

One of the last remaining 1st gen Intamin Freefalls.

Which speaking of that, how many 1st gens are left? I know there is Demon Drop at CP and Freefall at SFMM, but is there any others? Does anyone know if the one at Nagashima Spaland is still operating?

I don't recall if the one at Spaland was operating during the TPR tour, but I did ride the one at Japan's Central Park. Ouch!

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:15 pm

Wow, I've never heard of a ride being imploded before.

That was my first ride during my lone visit to the park back in 2005. I've always loved the Intamin 1st gen's. They throw in an extra appeal with the intense slide onto your back. It's sad it's been destroyed, but at least they are getting a fresh, fun ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!