TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Here's my only question about the Maverick Aqua Trax debate.........Why does Maverick close so quickly at the slightest bit of rain? Is it just the trains? I mean if it was originally an Aqua Trax design wouldn't it have been designed to handle a little bit of water in spots? But overall, I have to agree with Robb, the similarities are just too close to not think that this may have originally been an Aqua Trax design.

That is just Cedar Fair policy after the incident on Magnum.

And about the heartline roll being designed for Aquatrax trains... I think it is more plausible for Maverick's current trains to go through the roll than for Aquatrax cars. Maverick's roll was extremly tight, and I think that the longer Aquatrax cars would only worsen whatever problems the roll had.

My question:

If it were designed as an aqua trax, whats it matter?

I think its far more plausable to design and fabricate those 3 peices of track than it is to change the design of the trains, fabricate AND decal those in the same amount of time.

Speculation, sure. Silly? kinda. Good report and pictures.

The trains didn't need to be built in teh same amount of time.

If it was originally designed for a different type of train they were probably already well aware that that segment of track would most likely be too intense. But if the barrel roll track had already been fabricated they could put it in and see what the actual forces were, but still fabricate the alternative track just in case.

This seems like the most likely scenario. The timing of the replacement track always seemed way to quick. Complicated steel pieces cannot be fabricated, painted, shipped, and installed THAT quickly.

I assumed this agrument was over a long time ago.

The aquatrax prototype directly lead to Maverick.

Future ride designs will likely use the shorter coaster cars that worked so well with Kinga Ka, like Maverick does.

Same with the TTD protoype and its themeing, with the future rides Intamin switched to the more traditional design.

Now, I am trying to imagine a heavily themed maverick, with unqiue trains in a far off land, sounds like a winner to me.

Here's my only question about the Maverick Aqua Trax debate.........Why does Maverick close so quickly at the slightest bit of rain? Is it just the trains? I mean if it was originally an Aqua Trax design wouldn't it have been designed to handle a little bit of water in spots? But overall, I have to agree with Robb, the similarities are just too close to not think that this may have originally been an Aqua Trax design.

That is just Cedar Fair policy after the incident on Magnum.

And about the heartline roll being designed for Aquatrax trains... I think it is more plausible for Maverick's current trains to go through the roll than for Aquatrax cars. Maverick's roll was extremly tight, and I think that the longer Aquatrax cars would only worsen whatever problems the roll had.

Which makes no sense considering Maverick, TTD, MF, WT all use magnetic breaks which I would assume water would not effect.

However TTD in the rain is a bad idea.

My theory is, the only possible reason as to why Maverick wasn't an Aquatrax was solely for capacity and train reasons. Since Maverick uses traditional Intamin rocket trains with OTSR's, Maverick would have a higher capacity with the regular rocket trains than the Aquatrax trains.

Which makes no sense considering Maverick, TTD, MF, WT all use magnetic breaks which I would assume water would not effect.

However TTD in the rain is a bad idea.

While rain does not effect magnets, they can not totally stop a coaster train. In theory, the trains can still hit if there was no friction between the powered tires and the train.

Atlantis Adventure looks like a fun coaster! I'm curious, how was the French revolution indoor Vekoma? The vertical loop over the bridge and helix around the fountain looks unique.

We will dicuss that when we post our Lotte World TR. This thread is about Maverick being an Aqua Trax! NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

--Robb

Wow! That ride looks AWESOME! I never knew it didn't come into contact with water though. I guess since I never heard anything about this ride, but only saw brief pics, I thought it might have been like Journey to Atlantis, but with a better coaster design. Anyways, I can see the similarities... neat!

-Justin

Maverick is not an aqua trax. I've seen the blueprints, talked to the programmer, and was a part of the re-construction and programming all through the month of May. The ride is a new product from Intamin called the "Ricochet Lift and Launch" coaster, not an "Aqua Trax".

See, but this is a case of "who you talked to versus who I talked to" and the people I talked to said it WAS originally planned as an Aqua Trax.

Now it could very well be that it was very early in the planning stages and by the time it got to blue prints it was already changed, or perhaps the blue prints you saw or the programmer you talked only knew the project in it's post-changed format.

For example, in the video game world, I have worked on several games that in initial concept are one design, but by the time they actually get put into production end up being something else, but remnants of that original design are still lingering about in the final product and many programmers and artists would have never even known about the original concept.

The latter is what I'm assuming happened to Maverick.

--Robb

Keep in mind that the Aqua Trax train never actually does come in contact with the water. Matterhorn's bobsleds have more contact than Atlantis does.

--Robb

I don't know about this Robb. From this picture you posted it sure looks like the car comes in contact with water? I know it doesn't plunge into a big pool of water or anything, but wouldn't that be the same as if there was rain on the track. I'd have to agree with what someone else said that it is CF policy to close the rides due to the Magnum accident.

aqua1_100.jpg.435294171164b2af5aa0b0d5b66e4e8b.jpg

Water sprayed directly onto track.

Call me stupid but if Maverick were to have Aqua Track Trains then wouldn't they have to be extremly elevated off the track to go through the Twisted Horeshoe Roll and also. I personally think that adding the Aqua Track Cars would make the ride much more intresting. And they should made a very odd seating of arrangment of 3 in a row for 4 rows but that would screw up families of 4, the 'typical' american family! Anyways I think that this mystery is solved but we can never prove it because Intamin will never announce it.

Keep in mind that the Aqua Trax train never actually does come in contact with the water. Matterhorn's bobsleds have more contact than Atlantis does.

--Robb

I don't know about this Robb. From this picture you posted it sure looks like the car comes in contact with water? I know it doesn't plunge into a big pool of water or anything, but wouldn't that be the same as if there was rain on the track. I'd have to agree with what someone else said that it is CF policy to close the rides due to the Magnum accident.

Ugh, that's not what I meant.

Robb meant a splashdown pool like the Matterhorn has.

THANK YOU WES for actually understanding what I meant!!!

Yes of course there is water all around being that it is build in a lake, but I meant that it doesn't have a "water element" like a splashdown or anything traditional of a water coaster or a water ride. The only 'water element' is when someone from the ride sticks their arm out to spray the water from the fountains. Only then does it come in contact with the train (See Elissa's photos above) and if you aren't sitting in front of someone who puts their hand out, you don't actually get wet! I thought I had already explained this. Must have been a language barrier I guess.

--Robb "I really didn't think that needed explaining, but whatever...." Alvey