Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

P. 2044 - Jersey Devil delayed til 2021
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:47 pm

Now that is pretty sad. Chiller was in my top 20, but that's from a ride with the g-roll still in tact. Bummer, but from a business standpoint, it's not a bad move to cut what is very likely the most expensive coaster in the park to operate, especially when its had all sorts of reliability issues over the years. Shame I'll never get the blue side though, guess I gotta go ride a Freeze to get top hat experience

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:48 pm

Could it be possible that they are just replacing that whole section of the ride adding a new spike or something?

If it is being torn down, that's sad. I was going to go to GADV this year, but it got pushed back to next year and I was relieved that Chiller would be all fixed and ready to go for me. I guess not. :cry:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby BuddyChrist » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:50 pm

My theory as to why that piece is being removed first is so that they can get a larger crane in to disassemble the spike and elements.

Postby coasterbilly » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:51 pm

Batman has been down for years and i dont think they would replace the spikes because whats the point if one side still isn't working and if they aren't even trying hard to reopen it. Plus, it sounds like SFGAdv has plans for a ride to fit into Chiller's footprint

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Xxhershey818xX » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:54 pm

FeelTheFORCE wrote:Could it be possible that they are just replacing that whole section of the ride adding a new spike or something?

If it is being torn down, that's sad. I was going to go to GADV this year, but it got pushed back to next year and I was relieved that Chiller would be all fixed and ready to go for me. I guess not. :cry:

^I feel like highly doubting that! This coaster has given Great Adventure problems for years. The have changed the cars, restraints and even the track to make this ride work for them and every single time its pretty much failed. So the fact that they would try and put a spike in is pretty minimal.

AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:56 pm

(to FeeltheFORCE) No, Chiller has always been a mechanical nightmare for SFGAdv. A brief timeline of Chiller's notable mechanical issues.

1997- ride opens and operates for one week before closing again due to trouble with the LIM technology (which the technology was still in its infancy back then for its use on coasters).

1998- ride reopens and operates. However, there have been reports over time about the ride using so much technology that it causes brownouts at times. [Then again, I think this myth has been said about many LIM rides]

2006- Ride de-rails, down for the rest of the season.

2007- Zero-G rolls removed. Then, a few months later, removal.
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

Postby coasterbilly » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:01 pm

^game over.

Plus Batman was closed so much of that time

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coastercrazy216 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:40 pm

What was ever wrong with these rides? What problems did it cause? Just asking.

Final Destination Guy!

Postby Goliath513 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:25 pm

Nooo. Now theres two credits I won't get when I go there on the East Coast trip next year. :(

I hope they move it to another park.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:58 pm

I've only been on the Robin side and thought it was a really good ride, it's a real shame this one is coming down. Sounds like they'll put that rumoured indoor Batman coaster there.

Robin seemed to run realtively well, but it probably wasn't practical to just keep one side. I've always wanted to ride that upside down tophat on the batman side.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!