TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

^ Yeah, let's hope it doesn't.

This looks like a really nice coaster, and all of the airtime hills appear to be fairly small, so there should be plenty of airtime. It is great that a small park is building a coaster of this size, and it is nice that this is finally being built since it has been planned for a long time.

Well considering I found those pics and sent them to Screamscape this is kinda old news for me, but I must agree with everyone this coaster looks absolutely amazing. It's been so many years now since I've been up to that park and I never really had any intention of going back for Steel Dragon so its great that the park is getting something worth me going there again. I'm going to do everything in my power to either go to media day or opening day for this coaster because I have a feeling its going to be really sweet. I'm just glad Waldameer got everything sorted out and this coaster is finally getting built. Two thumbs up for another Gravity Group in America.

• 2 weeks later...

I went up to Presque Isle last Saturday (it was beautiful) and I stopped by the Tom Ridge Weather Center and I took some pictures while I was there.

Some nice shots of the RF2 construction site.

Shots from the Tom Ridge Weather Center tower.

Shots of the Tom Ridge Weather Center.

Some nice shots of Beach 10.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this topic was gone! Good thing I looked and didn't start another one! I actually remembered this thing was being built, so I wondered around thrillnetwork and found an update!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rsscbell/archives/date-taken/2007/09/16/

looking pretty sweet, this will definitely be in my top list of anticipated coasters for next year!

The cost of this thing is 6.5 million i think, so this coaster should be on the size of voyage.

This looks like a great coasters, and it seems like Gravity groups are starting to catch on.

CCI was my fav. coaster maker, and i would love to see gravity groups become the leading supplier of woodies again.

Are Gravity Groups really smooth or do they have that CCI rattle to them?

Are Gravity Groups really smooth or do they have that CCI rattle to them?

Hades and Voyage are both REALLY aggressive, more than any CCIs I have ridden. They are smooth in terms of no jack hammering/potholes (well, Voyage atleast) but they are really physical rides.

It seems to me that what some people call "rough" and what others call "rough" are different things entirely.

To me, "rough" is when the train has nasty, rapid bumps that jar the riders. Texas Giant is a good example. Even on the parts that really aren't doing anything, you get beat up.

Son of Beast is perhaps the worst case of "rough" I've ever experienced. I *HATE* rough coasters. SOB is my least fave woodie of all time. Yes, even below Grizzly at SFGA!

Voyage is rough in a few spots, but mostly it's just aggressive, as the previous post said. "Aggressive" can sometimes feel rough, but it's due to the layout having quick directional changes, lateral Gs, violent airtime, and high-speed cornering. Boardwalk Bullet is certainly all of that! I hear some riders complain that it's "rough" when what they are describing is "aggressive". It throws you around (a lot!) and tosses you into the sides of the train, into your riding partner, into the lap bar, etc etc etc. I *LOVE* aggressive rides. Voyage and Bullet are my #1 and #2 woodies.

I couldn't have explained it better.

I'm hoping that this coaster (and Boardwalk Bullet) are a little bit less aggressive with lateral g's, but stay the same with negative and positive g's. I've ridden Hades and Voyage, but haven't ridden Boardwalk Bullet, so it's hard to say whether or not a smaller sized Gravity Group woodie will be less aggressive.

Waldameer really has a nice coaster coming along. They've struggled so much to get this coaster to be built and I hope everything works out for them. I plan on riding this coaster next August.

• 1 month later...

Check out the official park website!!

www.waldameer.com/RavineFlyer2.html

Featuring!

2,900+ feet of Track

3 Giant Drops

(119 feet, 80+ feet, and 60+ feet)

60 Degree First Drop

Track Banking up to 90 degrees

Speeds over 57 Miles per Hour

10 Spots of Air Time

Wood Track with Steel Structure

Beautiful Views of Lake Erie

Crossover over Peninsula Drive on a 165 foot Arched Bridge

6 Tunnels

10 Cross-Overs

Historic Note: The present Lakeview picinic shelter next to the new station was the original Ravine Flyer I Station

I gotta say, I'm quite pumped for this ride! I hope I can get out there next year to give it a whirl, it's looking pretty awesome so far! Plus I really like Waldameer, just a nice place to hang out, so any excuse to go back is a good one. That, and SPINNING DRAGONS WOOHOO

• 2 weeks later...