Photo TR: Road Trip! Scott's Keystone State Tour

ALL PARKS ADDED!! PAGE TWO
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
TPR's lonesome donkeyboy

Postby Groteslurf » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:41 am

Great TR and pics.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby stevenpensacola » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:53 pm

I remember reading a review of Knoebels which stated:

"Disney may make magic, but Knoebels is magic"

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:27 am

Julie and Ted, you guys are right. I knew it said something along those lines and just assumed it was the same thing. Snap (no pun intended). Oh well, I'm sure I'll be back before long.

UPDATE!!!

Part II: Hersheypark

As I mentioned at the beginning, the whole point of this trip was to go to Hersheypark for the first time. I've been drooling over Storm Runner ever since it was installed and the rest of the park has always looked pretty solid too, so I was completely amped about finally getting to this park.

It didn't let down. As far as major, not-really-themed amusement parks, it's definitely my favorite. The park was beautiful, had a pretty good flat selection, and every coaster there was solid. Even the boomerang wasn't that bad. They just need to rip out Roller Soaker as it is a capacity nightmare.

And Storm Runner definitely didn't let me down either. I can't get over that ride. The entire twist/snake dive is wicked insane and the launch felt super intense. People have told me it's not one of the more intense launches which baffles me and makes me want to hit up Xcelerator badly. I felt as if we hit top speed within a second. My vision even blurred during it. Never experienced that before. The ride was just sick.

Anyway, enjoy the pics! Kennywood is up next!

Thanks again to Hercules for the Hershey ticket offer.
82.JPG
Finally leaving this godforsaken town of Harrisburg! Nice city, but my hotel sucked balls and the road system is ridiculous. Whoever designed and named half the roads in this city as well as PA deserves a serious flogging. It's that ridiculous.
24.JPG
Finally! Almost there!
25.JPG
Laura, you're awfully excited to have the UK tour dvd in your hand. Why is that?
26.JPG
That's right, 'cause I threw our tickets in the case so they wouldn't get smashed! I'm tellin' ya folks, those TPR dvds are multi-useful! You all should invest in some. I hear all the cool kids are doin' it....
27.JPG
Wait, am I outside of Hershey or Busch Gardens TheEuroburgCountry?
28.JPG
I'm pretty impressed so far and I'm not even in the park yet.
29.JPG
Couldn't start out the day with anything but Storm Runner. This is really tucked back here.
40.JPG
Over zee hill, into zee vertical drop.
41.JPG
The funky, super tall Immelman thingamajig.
39.JPG
Wicked awesome inversion things. Or, 'snake dive' if you really wanna be technical.
30.JPG
How did you like it babe?
31.JPG
It sucked something awful.
32.JPG
Speaking of which...

Actually, I didn't think it was THAT bad.
34.JPG
This might have been the best mouse I've been on.
36.JPG
A few of the coasters are perched up, which makes them appear to be bigger than they really are.
35.JPG
Wildcat looked ginormous.
37.JPG
This area of the park was less than stellar, but Lightning Racers made up for it.
38.JPG
Dan and I would have got along just great today. Though it was hot as balls out.
47.JPG
Oh! I scored a two-fer! How's it goin' Jow and Derek?
45.JPG
I thought this was a cool shot. I don't actually wait for stuff like this either. I'm very impatient when it comes to taking pictures. I just have to notice something is coming and snap it fast enough.
44.JPG
Hey Jow, have you ever seen this? There was .a 'lift' chain in the station track that pulled it up onto the lift hill. Kind of nifty
43.JPG
You know the construction crew hated their jobs when they were building this...
55.JPG
I was actually REALLY excited about Great Bear for some reason. Nobody really seems to think that highly about it though...
53.JPG
The entire time we waited for Great Bear, we had this big group of camp kids surrounding us. They had to have been from NYC or something because they had no concept of 'space cushion.' This picture doesn't really do justice though. They would literally stand against us at some points.
46.JPG
I really liked Great Bear. I found it to be fairly intense and the unique layout was a lot of fun.
52.JPG
Great Bear was another coaster in the park that looked massive in places because it sits on top of a hill.
50.JPG
The old timer might have been the surprise of the day. Nothing spectacular, but still alive and kickin'. Pure fun.
48.JPG
I was really impressed with the park. Beautiful place, solid rides, and the air smells really does smell like chocolate! Stay tuned for Kennywood!

I Love Eli Manning!

Postby coastercrazed49 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:43 am

Wow great pictures. Your trip report just got me really pumped up for when I go to Hershey next year!! :br

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:48 am

I'm even impressed when I don't go in the park! :b Great TR!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:02 am

They just need to rip out Roller Soaker as it is a capacity nightmare.

Boo. The capacity does suck, but it's my favorite thing at Hershey. This opinion may have been influenced by the fact that it was so hot it felt like being baked in a kiln on the day we went. Still any ride where you can drench unsuspecting guests on the midway gets a big thumbs up from me.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:44 pm

The funky chain drive on SDL must be a Schwarzkopf thing. The other local Schwarzkopf, Laser at Dorney Park, has a weird lift arrangement that looks like nothing else I've seen other than the lift hill on the German wild mouse model I built last winter (except I hope Laser's cars are attached with chain dogs rather than magnets, and it has an anti-rollback system.)

The funky supports on Great Bear are due to the state department of environmental protection's overzealous refusal to allow anyone to excavate in even the most insignificant watercourse on their own property.

Full Fledged Katonga Enthusiast

Postby Scaparri » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:46 pm

I had been building up Kennywood for a while to my girlfriend, so since our main purpose for this trip was to go to Hershey and we'd be driving right by Kennywood on the way back, we had to stop by so I could finally take her there.

Again, it was great. It was kind of disappointing to see some of the changes I've heard about, like Garfield's Nightmare. I loved Garfield as a kid, but they actually made the Old Mill worse with it.

Phantom's Revenge further solidified it's spot as my #1 steel as well. This thing is just incredible. I can only imagine how good it would have been if they had more space to keep those insane bunny hops going for a little longer. Oh well.

It was a great day at the park though. It wasn't very busy at all and we were pretty much able to do whatever we wanted. It was a blast. This is an awesome park to go to with your significant other. So much fun.

It was sad that this was the last day of our mini-PA tour, but it was a blast. Can't wait to do it again. And with all three of the parks we hit appearing to open major new rides next year, who knows? Maybe we'll just do the exact trip again next year!

Enjoy the final pics. Thanks for reading.
56.JPG
Maverick is great and all, but THIS is sex in coaster form.
57.JPG
After telling her all about it, we finally make it to K-wood.
58.JPG
The wait for Phantom to open isn't too bad (the rides open half hour after the park).
70.JPG
The drop into the Pittsburgh abyss...
71.JPG
(Enter Homer Simpson drooling noise)
73.JPG
When telling Laura about this ride, I might have sort of omitted the part where the ride drops off the face of the earth....
72.JPG
This is the part of the ride where your ass doesn't even have time to say goodbye to it's seat.
60.JPG
Best spinning mouse ever. The theming is great, and we had some insane spinning going on.
59.JPG
You have to get some whip action going on when you visit Kennywood.
61.JPG
The Screamin' Swing was a lot better than my first experience on one.
64.JPG
What lake storms are to CP, Potato Patch fries are to Kennywood. No trip is complete without them.
65.JPG
The proper way to go at your Potato Patch fries.
63.JPG
Thunderbolt was much better than I remember. You can't argue a lack of uniqueness at Kennywood.
69.JPG
Why did these things disappear off the face of the earth? This was freakin' nuts!
66.JPG
I love this park. It's too bad it's located in a janky part of town.
75.JPG
Some hot, steamy Disk'O action.
76.JPG
Upskirt.
78.JPG
There's no dead space here. Gosh, I hope I'm not becoming a K-wood fanboy...
83.JPG
What a slut.
74.JPG
It was an awesome day... just another day that was hot as balls.
79.JPG
That's all folks.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby bulldogmom » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:18 pm

Great pics. "Hot as balls"- lol. Yes, it has been that hot here in the 'Burgh.
You're right about the Old Mill at Kennywood- what they did to that was criminal. It was such a great, classic cheesy dark ride.
Home Park: Kennywood
Favorite Park: Cedar Point
Favorite Coaster: Millennium Force (steel); Beast (wood)
Coasters Ridden: 72

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive