Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 939 - Copperhead Strike Testing Footage!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby robbalvey » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:29 pm

Hey everyone!

Carowinds has just sent me some interesting photos of the last remaining "Wayne's World" theming being removed from the park. 'Tis a sad day for those of us nostolgic on early 1990s Mike Meyer's movies, but quite honestly, the Wayne's World stuff was dated anyway.

Anyway, here is what is looked like before:

And now here's the new, revamped version!

From the email from the park:
"The Happy Days diner is on schedule to open with the park on March 19. It features a retro look, show memorabilia, a classic diner menu and a 50's DJ spinning the oldies each day."
caro1.jpg
caro2.jpg
stan.jpg
Can you guess what these letters used to spell? ;)
Last edited by larrygator on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:41 pm.

AWESOME-O-SAURUS!!!

Postby Homer » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:35 pm

This brings up a point... Would you rather have a nostalgic Mike Meyers/SNL themed restruant (SNL in the early 1990's rocked!) or Da Fonz...

I think I am tied, what if Paramount decided to do a cheap crossover and call it, Happy Mikitas. The only restruant with hockey players and people saying "Heyyy!!!!!"
-My butt has touched 112 roller coasters, how unfortunate.

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:14 pm

Yeah, Wayne's World was dated, and pretty much everyone knows about Happy Days. I just hope they break out the X-Treme Action Zone Motorcycle Stunt Spectacular with the Fonz jumping over stuff. Hehe, that'd be cool, daddio. Wonder if you'll see Arnold, Chachi, and Potsie there too.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Banned

Postby Mind Eraser » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:11 pm

PKD axed the Wayne's World theme a few years ago. I thought Carowinds did the same awhile back.

-kip-

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:27 pm

This was very expected lol lol. Oh well gonna see what other changes tomorrow at the ACE event at the park tomorrow!!
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Site Admin

NEWS: Carowinds opens newly expanded Nickelodeon area

Postby robbalvey » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:10 am

http://www.heraldonline.com/local/story ... 8181c.html

One of America's favorite television moms came out Wednesday to celebrate the cold, wet preview of Paramount's Carowinds' newly expanded Nickelodeon area. The theme park officially opens Saturday.
Meredith Baxter, who played mom Elyse Keaton in the 1980s comedy series "Family Ties," was guest of honor among selected Charlotte-area schoolchildren, Mecklenburg and York County leaders and other VIPs on hand for the preview event.

"Get ready to fly, swoop, laugh and scream with all your favorite Nickelodeon characters," Baxter told the kids, who were hidden under a sea of umbrellas. "Nickelodeon Central is open. Get ready for fun, fun and more fun."

The revamped children's area is part of a multimillion dollar expansion that brought the Nick-themed area from 3 to 15 acres. The new area has five new attractions including the Phantom Flyers, an interactive spinning glider.

"That was awesome," exclaimed Hector Oropeza, 13, of Charlotte after riding Phantom Flyers back-to-back. "I loved making it swing. It's so cool."

Other new rides are The Flying Dutchman's Revenge, miniature pirate ships that twist and turn while sloping up and down; Dora the Explorer's Adventure train ride; and Little Bill's Cruisers, miniature speed boats that sail and glide.

York County Councilman Jeff Updike didn't ride anything, but he had fun watching the kids go nuts over the Nick characters and new attractions. Updike worked in the park in the early '80s and said he's impressed with the updates.

Carowinds is stressing family fun this season, said park spokesman Scott Anderson. "Most of these new attractions are rides kids can enjoy with their parents," Anderson said.

And what better way to celebrate the family than bring in a famous television mom?

Baxter, 57, a mother of five grown children, said she remembers well what it's like being a mom looking for things to do with her family.

"I always liked participating with the kids at the parks," Baxter said. "And you can do that here at Carowinds. You're not just sitting on a bench waiting for the kids to finish."

She said Carowinds is an "immediate grab" for both parents and children.

"There's something for the whole family here," she said.

Other changes for the 2005 season are:

• The former Animation Station and Zoom Zone have been revamped and renamed to reflect the Nickelodeon theme. New ride names include the Fairly Odd Coaster, once the Scooby Doo Ghost Coaster; Lazy Town Sporticopters, last called Chopper Chase; TV Land Road Trip, formerly Road Rally; and Hey Arnold's Taxi Chase, the old Taxi Jam.

• Nick Live is a new interactive family game show modeled after "Double Dare," complete with Nickelodeon trivia, pies in the face, an obstacle course and oozy green slime.

• The entire children's area has been given brighter colors and more open space. The asphalt was ripped out and replaced with brick pavement, and snack stands reflect the new Nickelodeon theme.

• New characters have been added including Diego, from Dora the Explorer.

Carowinds opens at 10 a.m. Saturday and will operate on a weekend-only schedule through May 15, with some exceptions including Good Friday and Easter Monday. For a complete schedule or more information, check out www.carowinds.com.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:59 am

HERE are some pictures from the event!
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Desperate Housewife Who Wants to Live in THIS Castle!

Postby disneygurlz2s » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:31 am

Despite the fact I am still p-o'd that they got my flyers, that looks like a really neat revamping and wonder if that isn't what is going to happen next year at PKI? Rumor has been that they will be taking the antique cars and transplanting them to the Nick area. Wonder if they will do away with all HB references and turn the entire kiddieland into Nickelodeon. Hmmm.....

Shari "Did I mention I am still mad about the flyers?" Shoufler

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

I was there!!!

Postby bgwfreak » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:53 am

I haven't gotten around to uploading my pics from Wednesday (too busy riding the flyers Friday night and Saturday) 8)

Meredith walked right past me TWICE!!! Aren't I special?

Anyway, I hope to be doing a write-up for Thrillnetwork soon and will post a link if you're nice to me ;)

I got some good pics too but you've probably already seen the same stuff.

I'm a newbie to snapping and I got it down by about my 4th or 5th ride on Saturday. Then it's like a bike, once you know it it's pretty easy.

I'm so glad we got the flyers (not happy for you PKIers) but hey they're here, I'm glad they are too.

It could have been worse. PKI could have trashed them.

And I didn't know till this weekend that they originally operated at Coney Island NY. 8)

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Postby bgwfreak » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:51 pm

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/stories_view.php/937

There's a link to my story I posted on thrillnetwork. Enjoy.

Here's a link to my album for opening day at the park

http://community.webshots.com/album/307905852KWEVUM

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!